Sturminster Newton

Looking for some help please. I want to do a refresh of my Sturminster Newton layout in N gauge and two of the areas that I wasn't happy with (of many) on the original were the cattle yard as viewed from the yard entrance and the back of the yard which for the model is the backscene. I've attached a couple of pics for reference. Any one able to point me at any photo's of these areas greatly appreciated. I think anything from the 40,s to the line closing will give me some ideas. I have seen some indications and models with a dairy but no pictures. Thanks Gavin..

Ps will also change from a generic backscene for the refresh what's behind Blandford &webb and down the backscene to where I have the coal merchants at the moment?

post-12201-0-55629100-1388273094_thumb.jpg

post-12201-0-91459300-1388273319_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Gavin,

I took a shot of the goods yard just after closure which shows quite a bit of detail, albeit not the bits you were wanting the most.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tingleytim/11739902283/lightbox/ should get you to it.

Tim.

That's a fabulous collection of pictures Tim, many thanks for posting the link.

Jerry

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Thanks for the kind words about my pics.  Following a further request, I have uploaded the other three shots I took that day at Stur. Why oh why did I not take more!  Never took any there when the line was open, more’s the pity.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tingleytim/11775578913/ should get you to the first.

Tim.

• Like 1

Nice layout, and great choice of station, I've been doing Stur, in N, on and off since 08.  All the way from down under.  I feel your pain with trying to find accurate photos of the cattle yards and behind the yard in general.  I've scoured the trust and many other sources but to no avail.  Best I've managed was some aerial phots take in 47.  Check my layout links to get an idea.

Edited by nebnoswal

Thanks all for your help, Especially Tim, some great photos and the one looking back into the yard from the southerly end is great.

I can now redo the back of the layout. I'm very pleased with my track layout, think I have it just about right based on this :-) The Cattle yard end needs remodeling, I'm not happy with the road and getting the angle right is not easy and of course the hill drops away there quite fast so not ideal for modelling on the backscene

Ben not sure if it was yours but i did follow another Sturminster layout on here, being built in Australia i think and used the station models as a framework, still not sure I have the station building right but as I get better at modelling I may go back and redo.  This was the first time i realised the cattle dock wasnt oblong shaped so was able to use that and looking at Tim's photo that looks good too. 

Been to the museum, they don't have many great pictures on display and the model is not as per the prototype but provides some useful indicators.  I think my last port of call will have to be the library service but will wait until i have some time to be in Dorset to do that. 

Thanks Again everyone :-)

PS attached a couple of pics of the model in the museum for anyone who hasnt seen it

post-12201-0-79400800-1389373886_thumb.jpg

post-12201-0-89936300-1389373931_thumb.jpg

Will recreate Tim's pictures when i do the refurb on it but in the meantime as close as I have to that northerly looking view into the yard. Don't look at the signal box roof :-)

post-12201-0-64286300-1389374303_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

And just to sew some more confusion this is a picture of the aerial picture which I think is in the Gardens so excuse the scratches of Stur in the early part of the 20th Century. 

post-12201-0-28714200-1389376780_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Well done Stur modellers for the hard work and progress on your layouts and thanks for posting the pictures of your models.  Some fine buildings coming along.  I am pleased that my photos from 48 years ago will be helping with your efforts.

I cycled to Stur from Blandford last year, on the S&D route of course, viewing the car park , open space and SDRT’s info board where the station used to be.  Your layouts show just how much has changed in the intervening period.

Ben: I notice you have a double track main line.  That would have been useful for timetabling when the line was open and cutting waiting times at the passing loops. If only the S&D had had the funds to do it!

Tim.

• 1 month later...

Just caught those pictures you uploaded of Shillingstone Tim and wow perfect for my attempted model of the station, interested to see concrete sleeper and lower quad signals.

• 1 year later...

Hello,

I have only just discovered the existence of this

S&DJR area within RMweb.

I do possess two Aerofilms aerial photos of Stur cattle market,

which of course include much of the station area.

If anyone is interested I'll dig them out...

Actually I bought them a number of years ago when Aerofilms were

advertising them and I asked about Shillingstone, which I had discovered

during its long slumber and was contemplating building a model thereof...

Aerofilms had nothing on file for Shillingstone, so I inquired about its neighbours.

(I first started exploring the surviving bits of the S&D in 1975, when the wife's parents

retired to a house that backed onto the western side of Broadstone Bank, atop the

cutting side of the higher trackbed that once was occupied by the rails of the "Old Road"

aka "Castleman's Corkscrew", from Broadstone to Hamworthy Junction (where its

own brick arch over Blandford Rd still survives alongside the later sister arch that carries

the main line via Bournemouth rather than via Wimborne since the completion of the

Holes Bay Curve. In 1975, of course, there was a single track and a weekly freight train

down in the lower cutting of Broadstone Bank, the line to Holes Bay Junction, Poole and

Bournemouth West, from a S&D perspective.

Hopefully I can contribute further, including my own photographs, under various station

headings.

seasonal regards,

Rodney Hills

Surrey, UK

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

+

Nebnoswal,

This layout is beautiful and has a lot of interesting detail.

While it is a model railway layout, it is an excellent example

of how the railway becomes less important when it is placed

into its environment; in the best traditions of Pendon.

I think this layout takes the hobby to a level we all, at least me,

aspire.

Noel

Edited by Dazzler Fan
  • Like 1

• 3 years later...

Sorry to drag up an old thread.

I am currently building Stur station and want to scratch build the goods shed. Found a few photos but i guess theres not much about, does anyone have any photos at all?

Plenty of images here but i cant open the flicker files.

Thanks

Paul.

7 hours ago, bike2steam said:

Thanks, that is worth a try. I also note a picture of a Pannier 0-6-0 tank crossing Stur bridge on the museum site, knew i had seen that somewhere.

• RMweb Premium

I might be able to help. A good few years ago when visiting Sturminster they allowed me to see the layout, although not on public view and I took some photos. As you say the back of the Goods shed is I think non existent. Although from the model its like the back of Wincanton. I've also attached the drawing I did of the station building, which I hope helps you.  P1000809.JPG.9a9fef9e9bcfd62ac30c7ba8ebddf4b7.JPG478164455_SturminsterNewtonplanasdesigned.jpg.2010bc178d350316bda6918dac90b61c.jpg860942008_SturminsterNewtonendelevation.jpg.2826b53a6d8002991d76e621b377724a.jpg1012040123_SturminsterNewtonplatformelevation.jpg.a762456f97735628c37c11f9a9160b52.jpg

• Thanks 1

Thank you Blandford 1969, thats really great i appriciate that a lot.

The back side of the goods shed ive never seen so will be doing something similar to that model i guess. I will look up Wincanton for images.

The station plans are wonderful, thank you again, i will alter the station building i have built (Peco kit) in time to look more the part.(or maybe scratch build).

Have 4 days full modelling time from tomorrow lets see if i can get something started.

Edited by down the sdjr

On 23/10/2019 at 20:12, Blandford1969 said:

I might be able to help. A good few years ago when visiting Sturminster they allowed me to see the layout, although not on public view and I took some photos. As you say the back of the Goods shed is I think non existent. Although from the model its like the back of Wincanton. I've also attached the drawing I did of the station building, which I hope helps you. 

I have started the goods shed.

IMG_20191026_172304.jpg

IMG_20191026_171053.jpg

Guest Jack Benson

Hi,

This building is one of the very few still extant, it is now a furniture salesroom. Apart from cars parked around the building, it is still accessible. You merely need to ask a 'local' for help.

Btw, 

Although eveyone seems to include the use of milk tankers, were rail milk tankers actually used at Sturminster Newton? The formers MMB facility was a creamery and cheese factory, all incoming milk was locally sourced by road and no bulk milk was outgoing, instead the cheese and cream was packed as rounds and boxed with straw. Presumably sent by van traffic?

Or has my local knowledge thrown a spanner in the proverbial works?

JB

Guest Jack Benson
On 23 October 2019 at 09:48, bike2steam said:

Just a polite warning, none of the current custodians are locals and the only atrefact worth viewing is the static model.

When we asked for any images of the station area, we were directed to to Shillingstone.............

JB

2 hours ago, Jack Benson said:

Hi,

This building is one of the very few still extant, it is now a furniture salesroom. Apart from cars parked around the building, it is still accessible. You merely need to ask a 'local' for help.

Btw, 

Although eveyone seems to include the use of milk tankers, were rail milk tankers actually used at Sturminster Newton? The formers MMB facility was a creamery and cheese factory, all incoming milk was locally sourced by road and no bulk milk was outgoing, instead the cheese and cream was packed as rounds and boxed with straw. Presumably sent by van traffic?

Or has my local knowledge thrown a spanner in the proverbial works?

JB

Hi Jack,

The furniture sales room was / is the building behind the goods shed, only thing left, goods shed long since demolished.

I dont know about rail milk for the creamery im afraid.

Paul.

IMG_2701.JPG