D6992 from Bachmann 37254

Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold

Noo - I feel the pressure building - Mike will have a class 37 height detection gauge installed on Abbotswood before you can say Pimp my loco....

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Noo - I feel the pressure building - Mike will have a class 37 height detection gauge installed on Abbotswood before you can say Pimp my loco....

Ha :D

It's only about 1mm maybe 2 at very most but the difference is remarkable.

Paul

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

We've sort of got a bit carried away this year with this 37 thing

Heres 6601 and 6972 on the Waterston - Albion tanks - driver is risking a form 1, has completely the wrong head code up!

post-7138-0-53562400-1397860290.jpg

Video next time we get set up

Cheers

Phil

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Of the current stud

are sound chipped and yes that double header sounded good! Sorry no vid this time.

That only leaves 6992 and 6785 - but then 1011, 1045, 1067, 185, 7612 also need chips!

Decisions decisions...

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold

Liked the para film tip for masking, I'm making a rare appearance in the lab tomorrow, I must "liberate" some.

Like Phil used it for years, but never considered its modelling potential.

Neil

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We've sort of got a bit carried away this year with this 37 thing

Heres 6601 and 6972 on the Waterston - Albion tanks - driver is risking a form 1, has completely the wrong head code up!

attachicon.gifIMG_0103.JPG

Video next time we get set up

Cheers

Phil

Phil

Give the driver a break...... probably a failure in the Birmingham area ?

8M28 was the WFO Radyr-Stanton Gate, and 6V80 the return Soho Pool - Cardiff, Tidal Sidings (Gulf ?) tanks.

Brian R

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hee hee thanks Brian

And I've just put the wrong headcode up for a forthcoming mag article - its the only one I didn't check!!!!

Will get it edited...

Do you know what tanks were on the Soho Pool working on this era? Have seen it with swb earlier tanks and the airfix type B vehicles - were they still current in the early 70s?

Cheers

Phil

Phil.

My 1971-1972 WTT shows:-

6M34 23:25 MX Company (air braked) Cardiff Tidal Sidings - Soho Pool

and

6V80 07:28 MX Company (air braked) Soho Pool - Cardiff Tidal Sidings

At this time, and until at least 1973 Gulf were based on the foreshore near South East Junction, Cardiff Docks.

My 1977 Driver's Manual (Loads Book) shows:-

6M39 23:45 SX Company (air braked) Cardiff Tidal Sidings - Soho Pool

"Loaded Rail Cars" - Texaco

and

6V80 08:05 MX or 07:40 SO Company (air braked) Soho Pool - Cardiff Tidal Sidings

"Empty Rail Cars" - Texaco

Texaco appear to have taken over the Gulf facility referred to above post 1973 and prior to 1977.

Unfortunately, I don't know what tanks were used - as the trains joined the SWML at Pengam and never passed Cardiff central/general and were generally outside my normal spotting hours !!

Perhaps someone can tells us whether 'rail cars' were 100 ton bogie tanks.

Brian R

• 2 years later...

Thought folks might like to see the outcome of this project - there was some dramatic lighting on the decking this morning so I sallied forth with the camera

attachicon.gifD6992 A end resized.jpg

attachicon.gifD6992 B end resized.jpg

attachicon.gifD6992 broadside resized.jpg

The base model started out as 37254 which has the refurbed nose ends with the cowlings cut back - so first job was to source the correct nose ends. HAving acquired the base model from Muddy Blues of this parish we then did a nose end swap - thanks Craig!

Had to remove ER pattern lamp irons and headboard clips and domino headcodes.

Then fitted new headcodes from Precision labels with home made glazing, renumbering, OH flashes, arrows and TOPs panels from Fox labels and worksplates plus WR cow horn lamp irons from Extreme etchings - crew are Bachmann, wire coupling loops also added.

Weathering washes initially with white to weather blue slightly, then black and roof grime - and track grime plus weathering powders over bogies. All subtle and done with brushes rather than sprays except for a final light coat of sprayed matt varnish - but streaky!

Rather pleased with result

Heres the original

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=flikr+d6992&id=09165E555A325F0F2390F25BB1A84205BEAFA78F&FORM=IQFRBA#view=detail&id=09165E555A325F0F2390F25BB1A84205BEAFA78F&selectedIndex=0

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6046/6266116392_a3065cbb5b.jpg

Many thanks to Graeme Wareham AKA Brush Veteran for the inspiration

Phil

Fine model that Phil !

Made all the more interesting by the less than conventional numbering / double arrow positioning.

I did a similar project on one of my growlers using a stickswipe lighting kit and bifs west highland sound and then given the D6992 number.

I used the older Bachmann chassis /body as I prefer it .

It does however have that bloody awful fan grille that begs to be replaced

Alas , that's where I came unstuck as the Shawplan etched replacement is not easy to do well .

You only have to look at them the wrong way and they buckle !

Fortunately. Lord and Butler came to the rescue , amazing what a bit of weathering does !