Railroad Crosti 9F

Unknown Warrior

1 minute ago, John Tomlinson said:

There are photos of them on tank workings from Stanlow to Colwick just east of Nottingham. Not far from there to the ECML!!

Another possibility would be on the Midland through Melton and Oakham to Peterborough, I have a feeling I've seen a picture of one coming through Stamford on a freight, but can't remember where.

John.

I'm getting my arm twisted.

• Funny 2

2 hours ago, davidw said:

Thanks a prototype for everything. York's a bit too far North for me. From what I understand the crostis tended to be midland engines. But looks like more possible than I thought

I thought that too until I found a pic of one backing a freight into Harrogate goods yard, been thinking one for a while then saw a black Friday deal on amazon for one for 95 quid n snapped it up, only just realised its got the wrong tender but hey ho!

Cheers

James

I bought one when they came out, after initial reservations about the "Railroad" tag. As many including Jamiel and Redgate above have shown, this doesn't amount to much that can't be sorted. I then bought another when they were on offer.

I'm bound to say the slow speed running on both I find better than on my two Bachmann standard examples, surprising indeed, although I should point out that I'm a dinosaur still on DC. Apparently the Bachmann ones  have two intermediate gear cogs driving two axles, which can mean they can conflict a bit with the coupling rods, if you take one out I've been told it improves the slow running. Anyway, I stray off topic.

John.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 06/12/2020 at 05:16, John Tomlinson said:

I'm bound to say the slow speed running on both I find better than on my two Bachmann standard examples, surprising indeed

I bought the Crosti 9F pre-fitted with TTS sound when it first came out. The running qualities of this model are at least as good as my two Bachmann 9Fs, in power, reliability and smooth slow-speed running capabilities. The sound quality is also above average for a basic TTS decoder/speaker. The combination of excellent performance and halfway decent sounds have made this my main heavy freight workhorse ever since.

There's something quite hypnotic about watching the motion of a slow-moving large freight loco trundling around my roundy-roundy layout. it's almost like meditation.....

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...