Railroad Crosti 9F

Unknown Warrior

I used the Comet LS2 etch.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/53110-ellerby-a-bit-crosti-recently/page-10&do=findComment&comment=2056859

You could add a little detail using off cuts from the sprue if you wanted, but the truck on it's own is an improvment. The main thing that really improved the etch was three very short offcuts of a wound guitar string which look like springs. I will ask a friend who is a guitarist if I can have some old broken strings, or just go and get a new one from a music shop, I suspect on guitar string would spring a whole feet of loco as I only used about half an inch on this one.

Jamie

Just a few photos to show a weathered model. . this one has been done for a friend although I've done about 7 now including renumbering. Apologies about the quality, for some reason my camera really doesn't like focusing on really mucky steam locos! It's usually pin sharp. I didn't have the time to mess with the settings but when I get decent pics I'll put those up too. So here we are for now. .  

What the photos don't show are the windows, these have been cleaned. Also the model is factory standard, unmodified. Alex

post-9660-0-31500100-1445431561_thumb.jpgpost-9660-0-84576800-1445431601_thumb.jpgpost-9660-0-34742300-1445431666_thumb.jpgpost-9660-0-80109700-1445431696_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Just a few photos to show a weathered model. . this one has been done for a friend although I've done about 7 now including renumbering. Apologies about the quality, for some reason my camera really doesn't like focusing on really mucky steam locos! It's usually pin sharp. I didn't have the time to mess with the settings but when I get decent pics I'll put those up too. So here we are for now. .  

What the photos don't show are the windows, these have been cleaned. Also the model is factory standard, unmodified. Alex

Stunning.........absolutely stunning......magnificent work.

Bob.

Very many thanks,Alex. Delighted with that !!!

I should think you are, its incredible....!!!!!!!

Bob.

Edited by 250BOB
  • Like 2

I used the Comet LS2 etch.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/53110-ellerby-a-bit-crosti-recently/page-10&do=findComment&comment=2056859

You could add a little detail using off cuts from the sprue if you wanted, but the truck on it's own is an improvment. The main thing that really improved the etch was three very short offcuts of a wound guitar string which look like springs. I will ask a friend who is a guitarist if I can have some old broken strings, or just go and get a new one from a music shop, I suspect on guitar string would spring a whole feet of loco as I only used about half an inch on this one.

Jamie

When I wanted a guitar string for experiments in auto couplings, I simply went into a local music shop and asked if there were any discarded strings I could have. The sales assistant was intrigued, and gave me a bagful of assorted strings.

attachicon.gifIMG_4065 (1).jpgattachicon.gifIMG_4064.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_4055.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_4059.jpg

I never saw any of the prototype crustys, but this weathered model really does capture the accumulation of grey-brown filth I used to see on conventionally-boilered 9Fs and other freight locos which I used to see trundling through Woodhouse back in the last days of BR steam. I know that such things as hard water would lead to variation in weathering effect, but some painting efforts seem a little OTT. With these photos as encouragement, I might finally get up the nerve to tackle my as yet pristine Bachmann spaceship!

Edit: typo.

Edited by bluebottle
  • Like 1

Very many thanks,Alex. Delighted with that !!!

Stunning.........absolutely stunning......magnificent work.

Bob.

I should think you are, its incredible....!!!!!!!

Bob.

Excellent weathering well impressive

Thanks gents! Really appreciate the comments. I was hoping it'd go down ok but that's exceeded my expectations. I really like these myself, even though I'm a diesel man. It looks awesome in natural sunlight i must say (trying not to sound smug here!)

A clean Crosti just doesn't look right, one word. . FILTH!! 

Alex Carpenter

• Like 1

Guys

I am a bit of a fan of running tender first freights on my roundy roundy layout, but don't have or want a turntable. Can anyone point me in the direction of any photos of Crostis in charge of freights but running tender first please.

Thanks

Bob

Hi Bob

I did say that no doubt I would be proven wrong, and indeed a photo of a 9F running tender first, admittedly with a BR1A tender, and ex-Crosit by 1966, but still going 'backwards'. I would have thought it unlikely to be banking on a viaduct,so I think there you have one at last.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/88505720@N06/8169352126

8169352126_7ef86e8c6a_o.jpg

Jamie

• Like 3

Hi Bob

I did say that no doubt I would be proven wrong, and indeed a photo of a 9F running tender first, admittedly with a BR1A tender, and ex-Crosit by 1966, but still going 'backwards'. I would have thought it unlikely to be banking on a viaduct,so I think there you have one at last.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/88505720@N06/8169352126

Jamie

Hi Jamie.

Many thanks...that's the first time I've seen a tender first Crosti........excellent.

Bob

• Like 1

A couple of photos on the latest stage of the detailing, the body is pretty much finished, unless I decide to start inside the cab. Still to do the brakes, hangers and the tender, and obviously painting and weathering.

CrostiSplitLRG1.jpg

A comparison with the original model (the original is not my photo).

CrostiSplitLRG3.jpg

Hopefully it won't be too long before it is finished.

Jamie

• Like 3

Hi Peter

I won't fit a coupler to the front of my 9F, but you might get a Kadee fitted directly under the buffer beam rather than to the bogie.

I wouldn't trust fitting a coupler to the Comet etched bogie as it is quite light compared with the Hornby one. I did try having the spring attached to hold it down, but found with a lighter bogie, it just  pushed it off the track at points and joins. I also have quite wide radius' to my curves, so he bogie isn't tested too hard, but I find it holds the track fine without extra weight.

I have posted a bit more about the detailing on the thread for my layout Ellerby, linked below.

Hopefully I will be able to post the finished shots of the painted loco before long.

Jamie

A couple of photos on the latest stage of the detailing, the body is pretty much finished, unless I decide to start inside the cab. Still to do the brakes, hangers and the tender, and obviously painting and weathering.

CrostiSplitLRG1.jpg

A comparison with the original model (the original is not my photo).

Hopefully it won't be too long before it is finished.

Jamie

I like the way you've done the injectors and their pipework. Although they're a solid moulding with a flange behind the pipes, you've made them look like separate parts.

I like the way you've done the injectors and their pipework. Although they're a solid moulding with a flange behind the pipes, you've made them look like separate parts.

They are separate parts from the Comet detailing kit, I hacked the existing pipes off (together with a very small piece of my thumb!), and replaced them with the Comet individual parts. There is a bit more detail in the thread for my layout. I did keep the top valve as it looks OK on its own, and to use as an anchor for the added pipes and valves. I also drilled through that one valve I left and threaded the pipe that hangs at the back through, and then soldered that to the bottom outer valve I added.

Here is the back vale prior to being fitted. Not the best soldering, but it being solid was my main concern, and it is hidden by the front detail.

Crosti03.jpg

I hope that is a bit clearer than my original post.

I also noticed in my photos above that there is still a few drops of water on the body from my washing off any acid flux that may have got on it. The front steps look a little odd holding the drops.

Jamie

Edited by Jamiel

They are separate parts from the Comet detailing kit, I hacked the existing pipes off (together with a very small piece of my thumb!), and replaced them with the Comet individual parts. There is a bit more detail in the thread for my layout. I did keep the top valve as it looks OK on its own, and to use as an anchor for the added pipes and valves. I also drilled through that one valve I left and threaded the pipe that hangs at the back through, and then soldered that to the bottom outer valve I added.

Here is the back vale prior to being fitted. Not the best soldering, but it being solid was my main concern, and it is hidden by the front detail.

Crosti03.jpg

I hope that is a bit clearer than my original post.

I also noticed in my photos above that there is still a few drops of water on the body from my washing off any acid flux that may have got on it. The front steps look a little odd holding the drops.

Jamie

All the more praiseworthy. I like the brass and copper - Hornby has only just starting to catch up with that sort of thing.

• Like 1

Just a quick photo of progress on the detailing, there is a lot more detail on the work in my layout thread (linked below).

Crosti12.jpg

I do hope I am not swamping the thread with my progress on this, I just thought that other might be interested to see my having a bit of a play with the model. It is my first real detailing of a steam engine, and I am finding it very rewarding, although it does make me want to progress to some brass modelling on a something as a whole, which I think is good thing.

Jamie

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/53110-ellerby-layout-and-rolling-stock-detailing-the-Hornby-crosti-9f/page-11

Edited by Jamiel
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Guys.......have a look at this video clip I found on you tube.

What is the loco that appears at exactly 46m15s......it looked like a Crosti....but is it,???

Bob

It's an ex-Crosti proving that like all Riddle's Standard 2-10-0s they could motor along quite nicely.

Keith

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1

It's an ex-Crosti proving that like all Riddle's Standard 2-10-0s they could motor along quite nicely.

Keith

And if mine wasn't away for weathering at present, it would be on its first passenger service tonight.......I reckon it was on the Pines in the video. :)

Each time I look at the clip, it looks as if there are a set of driving wheels missing...??

Edited by 250BOB

• RMweb Premium

And if mine wasn't away for weathering at present, it would be on its first passenger service tonight.......I reckon it was on the Pines in the video. :)

Each time I look at the clip, it looks as if there are a set of driving wheels missing...??

It does look like the 2nd coupled wheel set is missing

• RMweb Gold

Not the "Pines".The clue being the presence of a Mark 1 in blue/grey new livery.By that era (circa 1966-68) the SDJR was virtually extinct and in any case did not have track or terrain such as those in the video clip. I would suggest an ECS working somwhere in the North West.The "Pines" would then be running ( since 1962/3) via Oxford & Basingstoke with Bulleid power Oxford-Bournemouth.