Railroad Crosti 9F

Unknown Warrior

• RMweb Gold

Just brought the early version home. What a splendid model it is for the 'Railroad' range and at Hattons price from my local model shop.

On first investigation it has loads of room for P4 conversion. The axles seem to be 3mm. Just a question of wheels to decide. I did think that a new Comet or Bradwell chassis would be needed but it looks like having a go with its own chassis might do the trick..

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

For those who wish to convert to P4 Alan Gibson has a very useful 'how to' info sheet.  http://www.alangibsonworkshop.com/Hornby%20Railroad%20crosti%209F%20%20Conversion.pdf

AG does the driving wheel conversion set (4800/34) and all the other parts needed.

Also this month's 'Hornby' magazine has the first part of a detailing article and next month will contain the second part which will show weathering.

Just when you though one Crosti 9F was enough for the layout ................................
Crosti17.jpg

Sorry my scanner isn't working at the moment, but a photo grabbed from a copy of 'British Railways Steaming on the London Midland Region - Volume 3' published by Defiant Publications. Quite a nice set of books from the ones I have picked up.

I thought it such an unusual sight that it was worth sharing.

Jamie

• Like 11

For those who wish to convert to P4 Alan Gibson has a very useful 'how to' info sheet.  http://www.alangibsonworkshop.com/Hornby%20Railroad%20crosti%209F%20%20Conversion.pdf

AG does the driving wheel conversion set (4800/34) and all the other parts needed.

Also this month's 'Hornby' magazine has the first part of a detailing article and next month will contain the second part which will show weathering.

Hope you find the sheet useful.

As you say, in the latest Hornby Mag, Tim Shackleton details the Crosti, including fitting brakes. Might be worth a look for anyone thinking about it.

Pete Hill

Edited by pete55

• 2 weeks later...

My Crostie has had a few mods and some weathering, a mix of airbrush and powders. I have renumbered it to 92022 which I believe lasted longest in original form. I have removed the extra handrail by the chimney and added lamp irons and missing handrails to front footplate. The bogie mounted footsteps were cut off, separated and fixed under footplate. These simple mods make all the difference, I may have a go at making up some brake gear at some point

post-6389-0-84548700-1448629565_thumb.jpg

post-6389-0-62060400-1448629609_thumb.jpg

post-6389-0-06039800-1448629651_thumb.jpg

post-6389-0-46885200-1448629665_thumb.jpg

post-6389-0-46328800-1448629702_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

After one was apparently spotted lurking in the background of a Hornby video on Facebook, I was expecting to see an ex-Crosti 9F in Hornby's range for 2016. Have I missed it, or was it just a mirage?

They should (logically) have done all the research for it alongside the first one (and made the tooling adaptable for both versions) so it's just a matter of time.

I can think of two good reasons for it not to be in the 2016 programme;

1. They don't want to distract attention from the original one before it has fully realised its sales potential.

2. It has become abundantly clear in the last few days that the 2016 schedule is pretty crowded already!

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

I see Hornby have annouced a TTS version and a weathered version.

A dear, if I had known they would do a TTS... I would have waited a year, little chance of getting just the chip etc...

The weathered version raises some concerns. To date Hornby's weathering attempts have been the worst of all RTR makes by some distance. Normally consisting of spraying tan brown on the lower half of the loco. If they do the same here, they will not sell many of them.

The smoke deflectors were added about 6 months after initial construction, so all eventually had deflectors, and early crests, all but one of the ten had late crest by conversion to conventional running, when the deflectors were removed..

Today my Black Friday sale late crest Crosti arrived from Locomotion at Shildon, a bargain at £85 posted.

What a wonderful model. Runs smoothly and pulls the same load as my 3 Railroad 9F's that I had to add weight to - seems there is no need to add weight to this model. Well done both Hornby & Locomotion.

I wasn't going to get one, but couldn't refuse one at this price - I remember them back around 1966 / 7 thundering through Wigan usually on an oil tank train. I visited their lair at Birkenhead also back in 1967, posted a pix earlier on this thread.. They had of course been de-crostified by then.

Brit15

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Today my Black Friday sale late crest Crosti arrived from Locomotion at Shildon, a bargain at £85 posted.

What a wonderful model. Runs smoothly and pulls the same load as my 3 Railroad 9F's that I had to add weight to - seems there is no need to add weight to this model. Well done both Hornby & Locomotion.

I wasn't going to get one, but couldn't refuse one at this price - I remember them back around 1966 / 7 thundering through Wigan usually on an oil tank train. I visited their lair at Birkenhead also back in 1967, posted a pix earlier on this thread.. They had of course been de-crostified by then.

Brit15

My third Crosti arrived from the same place

• Like 2

A few photos of the Crosti I have been working on for the last few weeks. Comet etched pony truck added, Alan Gibson front wheel, Comet pipework under the cab, handles, a driver, even some Archers rivets, lots of other little bits and weathering. Now I have seen it in day light, I may tone down the weathering a little, but for the moment here is how it stands.

Crosti27.jpg

Crosti28.jpg

Crosti29.jpg

Crosti30.jpg

Crosti31.jpg

More details on the additions I have made to this in my layout thread Ellerby: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/53110-ellerby-layout-and-rolling-stock-detailing-the-Hornby-crosti-9f/page-11

Jamie

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

A few photos of the Crosti I have been working on for the last few weeks. Comet etched pony truck added, Alan Gibson front wheel, Comet pipework under the cab, handles, a driver, even some Archers rivets, lots of other little bits and weathering. Now I have seen it in day light, I may tone down the weathering a little, but for the moment here is how it stands.

Crosti27.jpg

Crosti28.jpg

Crosti29.jpg

Crosti30.jpg

Crosti31.jpg

More details on the additions I have made to this in my layout thread Ellerby: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/53110-ellerby-layout-and-rolling-stock-detailing-the-Hornby-crosti-9f/page-11

Jamie

That's one crusty Crosti.

Looks like one that's been stored, prior to rebuilding

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

This is mine, I've returned to model railways after a 35 year break. Never weathered a loco before. Now I've seen the article I'd like to do the mods. The examples above show whats possible. I'm really pleased with her as I wanted one ever since having Ian Allen BR standard steam for xmas as a boy.

post-28010-0-15161100-1451248264_thumb.jpeg

post-28010-0-32088700-1451248284_thumb.jpeg

• Like 16