Railroad Crosti 9F

Unknown Warrior

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

No number shown on that model, however TTS version is 92025 apparently.Both are E/C, not sure whether or not a smoke deflector is fitted. Hope this helps.

Hornby have the artwork up now for R3356, it's 92021 by the looks of it. Thankfully it's one I've already done so the one currently sitting in bits on my workbench is 92020 ;)

• 1 month later...

I guess being the owner of both 00 and O gauge crosti's I find my self wondering what on earth they sounded like? I will sadly have to put up with the standard 9f sound decoder and will never know the difference that is missing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Still no word from Hornby on whether their TTS sound version will be the smoke deflector version.  On the website they actually ask for questions about particular models, and I've asked this one twice. No reply of course. How do they expect pre-orders for locos when they won't even specify exactly what they're producing?  Hopeless.

• 9 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

My Crostie has had a few mods and some weathering, a mix of airbrush and powders. I have renumbered it to 92022 which I believe lasted longest in original form. I have removed the extra handrail by the chimney and added lamp irons and missing handrails to front footplate. The bogie mounted footsteps were cut off, separated and fixed under footplate. These simple mods make all the difference, I may have a go at making up some brake gear at some point

Thought that you might like this shot of 92022 at work in 1965, after de-Crostification.

post-14351-0-48686300-1482016008_thumb.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 12

• 3 years later...

Hi, when Hornby released their model of 92023 in original condition a couple of years ago it had an late BR Crest. Was this historically correct or did the loco have an early crest until it was put into storage in 1959. thanks Fred

• RMweb Gold

I’ve been thinking of getting one of these models in the later crest and smoke deflector, but as it’s “Railroad” model, how easy is it to add extra details?  I know the front steps are missing as well as some of the finer details you’d expect on a more expensive model.

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, jools1959 said:

I’ve been thinking of getting one of these models in the later crest and smoke deflector, but as it’s “Railroad” model, how easy is it to add extra details?  I know the front steps are missing as well as some of the finer details you’d expect on a more expensive model.

These models perform well and are excellent value for money. Although in the RR range being a more modern offering from normal viewing distances they look the part. 

As with all the Hornby 9F models the lack of loco brakes is the only real  major omission.

The front foot steps are part of the bogie casting and look the part. 

I have one of these models on loan to a good friend. On mine I have added front lamp irons made from staples and added real coal in the tender. 

Using a Bachmann 9F detailing pack I have added suitable vacuum pipes. I also had some Bachmann 1B Tender cabside doors to hand so added these.

Bachmann Spares Department are very helpful in sourcing these parts. 

If I remember correctly I also fitted a spare Bachmann tender draw bar which brought the loco and tender closer together. 

To finish I used a Hornby false screw link coupling on the front buffer beam as well. 

Although by no means perfect the Hornby Crosti 9F serves a purpose, runs well and if you're prepared to put some work into it scrubs up well with a few tweaks. 

My good friend worked on the real things at Wellingborough 15A. He has said you would never have the fireman's cabside window open due to smoke coming into the cab from the side chimney. 

He also commented on how poor they were at steaming compared to a regular 9F and were not liked. 

Hope that helps. 

Cheers, 

Mark

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
On 29/11/2020 at 21:08, Fredo said:

Hi, when Hornby released their model of 92023 in original condition a couple of years ago it had an late BR Crest. Was this historically correct or did the loco have an early crest until it was put into storage in 1959. thanks Fred

I was critical of this choice of number at the time. '023 was unique in having a longer smoke deflector and I have not come across any evidence of it carrying a late crest before rebuild. '021 would have been better as it DID have the late crest and a standard length deflector.

DSC00025.thumb.jpg.337a31eacba8af90d16be4aced577709.jpg

92021_right2.jpg.fb1114bb2d1c1ed275126b71e5336d65.jpg

Edited by RedgateModels
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, 46444 said:

These models perform well and are excellent value for money. Although in the RR range being a more modern offering from normal viewing distances they look the part. 

As with all the Hornby 9F models the lack of loco brakes is the only real  major omission.

I seem to remember that when they did the souped-up Chinese-made 5 pole tender drive version, it did have brake blocks for the first time, but for some reason these didn't migrate to the loco-drive Railroad models. 

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, RedgateModels said:

I was critical of this choice of number at the time. '023 was unique in having a longer smoke deflector and I have not come across any evidence of it carrying a late crest before rebuild. '021 would have been better as it DID have the late crest and a standard length deflector.

DSC00025.jpg

92021_right2.jpg.86256b18d414c1476ab096e33091a731.jpg

Easy enough to change the number!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I know this is slightly off topic but somewhere in this thread which I can’t find, someone mentioned that it was a shame one wasn’t saved and if it viable in building a new “Crosti”.  Well, you might’ve be in luck as parked outside of the wagon repair shed in Barry, are the frames of 92245 which could be a good launch pad of recreating either a original or rebuilt Crosti 9F if there was the interest in doing it.

26 minutes ago, jools1959 said:

I know this is slightly off topic but somewhere in this thread which I can’t find, someone mentioned that it was a shame one wasn’t saved and if it viable in building a new “Crosti”.  Well, you might’ve be in luck as parked outside of the wagon repair shed in Barry, are the frames of 92245 which could be a good launch pad of recreating either a original or rebuilt Crosti 9F if there was the interest in doing it.

That's a lovely idea, but sadly freight locos don't seem to attract the level of interest of their flashier brethren.

I think there are several standard 9F's in the renovation queue, not to mention the solitary Robinson 04.

A great model by Redgate photographed a few posts back.

John.

Edited by John Tomlinson
typo
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, jools1959 said:

....  it was a shame one wasn’t saved and if it viable in building a new “Crosti”.

I wouldn't suggest that to anyone who footplated a Crosti in original condition - there was a good reason why the Crosti pre-heaters were removed; (at some considerable cost)!

Look at a few photos of Crostis - if you can see the loco through the massed clouds of vile, sulphurous smoke.

We called them '92 Stinks' !!

John Isherwood.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

On 30/11/2020 at 01:37, jools1959 said:

There is a nice 9F detailing kit from Comet, available through Wazard models.

Here are some photos I did of one a few years ago, that kit plus a comet front bogie, some bits from the Brassmasters front bogie (but I would say just add the guitar wire for the springs if you want something simpler), Alan Gibson pony truck wheels, front steps from Comet. I improvised the brakes from Dapol wagon kits, the Horny Wheel have a lot of play and not much space for accurate 9F brakes. Plasticard for the tender, lots of weathering as I wanted it pretty used.

I think replacing the piping under the cab makes a big difference, that and the steps and bogie.

Crosti28.jpg

Crosti12.jpg

CrostiSplitLRG1.jpg

More details on my layout thread from this link.

Other options to do this as well, but it is nice model to use to detail, as many others have shown on this page and thread.

Jamie

Edited by Jamiel
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

3 minutes ago, Jamiel said:

There is a nice 9F detailing kit from Comet, available through Wazard models.

Here are some photos I did of one a few years ago, that kit plus a comet front bogie, some bits from the Brassmasters front bogie (but I would say just add the guitar wire for the springs if you want something simpler), Alan Gibson pony truck wheels, front steps from Comet. I improvised the brakes from Dapol wagon kits, the Horny Wheel have a lot of play and not much space for accurate 9F brakes. Plasticard for the tender, lots of weathering as I wanted it pretty used.

I think replacing the piping under the cab makes a big difference, that and the steps and bogie.

Crosti28.jpg

Crosti12.jpg

CrostiSplitLRG1.jpg

More details on my layout thread from this link.

Other options to do this as well, but it is nice model to use to detail, as many others have shown on this pae and thread.

Jamie

I've seen what you've done before. An excellent improvement. Pity I can't justify one on the ECML.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, davidw said:

I've seen what you've done before. An excellent improvement. Pity I can't justify one on the ECML.

Time to put your hand in your pocket!  Choice of passenger or freight workings:

50s steam 27-07-57  92022 arrives in York on a passenger train. 50s steam 27-07-57  92022 arrives in York on a passenger train.

York Holgate Junction 'Crosti' 9F 92024 Up iron ore empties 1960's

Edited by Metr0Land

1 hour ago, Metr0Land said:

Time to put your hand in your pocket!  Choice of passenger or freight workings:

50s steam 27-07-57  92022 arrives in York on a passenger train. 50s steam 27-07-57  92022 arrives in York on a passenger train.

York Holgate Junction 'Crosti' 9F 92024 Up iron ore empties 1960's

Thanks a prototype for everything. York's a bit too far North for me. From what I understand the crostis tended to be midland engines. But looks like more possible than I thought

• Like 1

1 hour ago, davidw said:

Thanks a prototype for everything. York's a bit too far North for me. From what I understand the crostis tended to be midland engines. But looks like more possible than I thought

There are photos of them on tank workings from Stanlow to Colwick just east of Nottingham. Not far from there to the ECML!!

Another possibility would be on the Midland through Melton and Oakham to Peterborough, I have a feeling I've seen a picture of one coming through Stamford on a freight, but can't remember where.

John.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1