Smallwood

Reddibus

• RMweb Gold

It's a nice layout. But please, put a bit more light on it.

Looks much better on the video than at the exhibition because at the exhibition one could hardly see it at all in the gloom. I get that you are seeking a dull/drab, run-down appearance and you have done that very well. But you would still get that with more light and perhaps a grey filter on the bulbs.

• Agree 1

• 10 months later...

Sorry there has not been much action on this layout thread in recent months. The layout has been packed away in the club room for much of the last 12 months. However, we have when covid restrictions allowed started our new much bigger 1970's based exhibition layout. More about this soon!

P1030672.JPG

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

Attached is a picture of the latest lockdown loco project for Smallwood. The lower sidings connect with a number of private sidings that are off stage. To haul the trains to and from the oil terminal this loco has been created. It started life as an early  Bachmann  class 04 that is now running on a more  recent class 03 chassis. The loco has been sold out of BR service and is in an industrial red livery

IMG_4778.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Phil Bullock said:

That will add an interesting dimension! Hope all is good in Redditch in this crazy world? 

Hi Phil - We are keeping well in at Redditch been allot of stop start with modelling projects over the last year for obvious reasons - How is the new Abbottswood coming on  

1 hour ago, rob D2 said:

Super ! This is one of the best looking BR blue layouts on the circuit - I saw it at the GETS .

Hope to see it again before the end of 21 !

Hi Rob thanks for comments on the layout. All being well we will be at the NEC show in December with the layout 

The industrial 04 came about as I decided to get the 03 we use as the station pilot sound chipped. I thought the easiest way was to buy one of the latest Bachmann class 03 models which has sound and swap the bodies. What I did not realise is the hole in the metal chassis  where the drive unit fits through is a totally different shape to accommodate the sound chip. This resulted in more work on the 03 to reuse the chassis block off of the sound chipped loco and transfer all the body from the existing loco. With a surplus 03 chassis with a dcc decoder I modified and repainted the 04 body to create the industrial shunter. The pictures show the finished locos   

IMG_4779.JPG

IMG_4780.JPG