J – Line to Platform 2

K– Line to Platform 3

L  – Line to Platform 4

From the Smallwood team

post-1122-0-32257700-1490463569_thumb.jpg

Edited by Reddibus
  • Like 1

Hi

Influences and ideas for the layout have come from many locations. For instance inspiration for the bridge that take the lower part of the layout into the fiddle yard came from one near Brockenhurst in the new forest which we spotted whilst exhibiting one of our other layouts down there a few years ago

thanks

from team Smallwood

It's all very clever, I like this layout and there is so much railway heritage around these parts! I'm thinking of redoing my layout with a lower level but... a GCR theme is also calling :)

Thanks we are attempting to create a layout that is both interesting for us to operate and most importantly interesting for spectators at exhibition we take it to.

This week we have complete one of the low relief factory buildings

This building is shown under construction about 2 weeks ago in the picture above with the letters on it showing which track goes where 

from the Smallwood team

As with much of the layout it is not based on a particular building or location and the many heavy engineering works could have inspired the building. In the case of this building  it was inspired by one of the former HDA buildings in Redditch (now known as Mettis Aerospace). The club member who built the model worked at HDA for many years

post-1122-0-61368500-1491931478.jpg

Edited by Reddibus

Hi

All the red brick finishes are Slaters Plastikard which has been painted with Halfords red car primer as the base colour. This is then weathered using simple suitable cheap pastel coloured crayons. The trick is to build the colour up slowly. Once the right finish is created this is held in place by a quick spray of matt vanish.

From the Smallwood team   

This weathering technique works best on a surface with some relief on it like plastic kits. Flat surfaces on many card kits are harder to do

from the Smallwood team 

Edited by Reddibus

This weathering technique works best on a surface with some relief on it like plastic kits. Flat surfaces on many card kits are harder to do

from the Smallwood team

Cheers,

I think you guys have nailed the look bang on! I guess the pastel adhere to the relief which is missing on card...

If you want to see one of our other "bostin" layouts then come and see our Oakenshaw layout at the Sutton Coldfield Model Railway show this weekend.

Many of the Smallwood construction team will be operating the layout over this weekend

see you there

from the Smallwood team

post-1122-0-24595600-1492629370.jpg

Edited by Reddibus