Aberdeen/Glasgow 3hr Expresses - early to mid sixties.

scottystitch

• RMweb Premium

I've looked at the 1969 ScR sectional appendix and the maximum is indeed 75mph, even for Edinburgh-Glasgow Queen St.

Both WCML and ECML are 90mph until they hit the border, then it's brakes on for 75mph.

I think 90mph might first have happened with the cl.27 push-pulls (with their disc-braked coaches)?

Edited by keefer

I've looked at the 1969 ScR sectional appendix and the maximum is indeed 75mph, even for Edinburgh-Glasgow Queen St.

Both WCML and ECML are 90mph until they hit the border, then it's brakes on for 75mph.

I think 90mph might first have happened with the cl.27 push-pulls (with their disc-braked coaches)?

Caveat - all speeds below are approximate, calculated by the "rail beats in x seconds" method on jointed track.

Those may have been official limits, but they certainly weren't rigorously adhered to. Between 1964 and 1966, I recorded:

- 90+ behind an EE Type 4 between Beattock Summit and Beattock station

- 80+ behind a Fairburn tank between Langbank and Parklea

- 85+ behind a Standard 5 between Georgetown and Bishopton, and again between Bishopton Tunnel and Woodhall

- 80+ behind a Standard 4 tank between a start from Hillington East and Shields No 2 (that was really exciting, bordering on worrying!)

• Like 4

My  logs  show  frequent  maxima  of  80+  behind  standard  or  Fairburn  class  4  tanks,  often  on  the  Joint  line  to  Paisley,  or  on  the  line  beyond  there  to  Kilwinning.The  Aberdeen  expresses  also  used  to  achieve  this,  often  on  the  Forfar  to  Perth  run,  with  an  A4.  Most  exciting  was  83mph  on  the  Kirkudbright  branch  with  a  Fairburn  tank  going  bunker  first.  My  first  90  was  on  the  descent  from  Neilston  to  Barrhead  behind  a  class  40  diesel  with  a  relief  London  express,  in  1963.  Of  course  those  were  the  days  of  rail  joints!

Allan  F

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

By this i meant official maximum speed limit - of course, what happened unofficially is often more interesting! :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

While I realise it's a bit late and all, it may still prove of interest: until 1962 the following blanket maximum speed limits applied to mainlines on the Regions of British Railways:

Eastern - 90mph

North Eastern - 90mph

London Midland - 90mph

Southern - 85mph

Scottish - 75mph

Western - technically none until a blanket 90mph limit was introduced in 1965.

From 1962 two 100mph sections were introduced on the ECML within England. I am fairly certain that official over 75mph running was introduced in Scotland with the advent of the 90mph Class 27 Edinburgh to Glasgow shuttles.

As a side note some pretty high speeds were attained with the A4s on the Glasgow Aberdeen runs, 80 mph was quite common between Perth and Stirling, particularly downhill from Gleneagles or Dunblane, while on the Strathmore route proper I have seen a timing log that shows a run from Forfar to Perth where Perth was reached in 27 mins 32 seconds against the booked 32 mins for the 32.5 miles, with speeds of up to 92mph attained through Coupar Angus!

Edited by hexagon789
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

BSK FK RU 3*SK BSK BG PMV(MX) XFISH(SX)

On this, the fish van is for Bristol and is detached at Stirling, going forward on a Euston service

Actually, I'm assuming they mean XFISH (6-whl) and not just FISH (4-whl) as there doesn't seem to be any other meaning for the 'X' as listed

Can I ask what the (MX) and (SX) mean? (This thread has become a valuable resource for the Aberdeen Model Railway Club, of which I am a member, and we're starting to replicate some of these formations - or, at least, the ones we understand!)

Thanks,

Gavin

Can I ask what the (MX) and (SX) mean? (This thread has become a valuable resource for the Aberdeen Model Railway Club, of which I am a member, and we're starting to replicate some of these formations - or, at least, the ones we understand!)

Thanks,

Gavin

Mondays excepted and Saturdays excepted, indicating the vehicle will not run on this day. The opposite would be MO and SO, being Mondays and Saturdays only.

Edited by sulzer27jd

• 2 months later...

Laurencekirk with some A4s rushing through on 3 hour expresses will be on display at our show this weekend. This will it's first outing since the buildings were completed and signals installed.

24 and 25 June 2017, Dewars Centre, Perth. 40 layouts and another 60 trade and society stands.

post-4700-0-33343100-1498073277_thumb.jpg

post-4700-0-41608000-1498073375_thumb.jpg

Edited by Waverley47708
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...

Scottish Region Carriage workings winter 1964-65

Courtesy of Robert Carroll's excellent website.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7wNtUp2bp_eZDRsRXFrOURZeFU/view

Includes 3 hour expresses.

In case you are interested full list of what's available,

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7wNtUp2bp_eZDRsRXFrOURZeFU/view

• 2 years later...

Bit late to the party on this subject.  Is there anymore information on the work the St Rollox pair of A4s mainly did.  I presume the early Aberdeen 3hr and tea time return for one loco.  If the pair were available there has been mention elsewhere of a Dundee and return.

On a side note does anyone have records of Kingmoor allocated Duchess's at Ferryhill??

Thanks

Claggy