Great Western Junction, Branch and Shed

KGV

My aim for 2014 is to start my new OO layout.

My modelling priorities ...
1. A standard GWR 1930's 4-road through shed with turntable (e.g. Didcot)
2. Continuous Run, with Junction station to Branch
3. Long Branch Line with Terminus (based on Kingsbridge)
4. 6 coach main line trains; 2 or 3 coach branch line trains
5. Lots of shunting potential
6. Some local industry (e.g. Creamery)
7. No fiddle Yard
8. Aim for 3' radii curves on the main line
9. DC, but convert to DCC eventually

The layout room (my loft) is 6m by 3m.  There are some structural bits in the way (to keep the roof up) so I'll work around these.  So far I have: put in a ladder; removed the cold water tank; insulated the loft (it now looks like the cargo bay of the Space Shuttle); put in lights and power.  Now in the process of building the baseboards.  And as its in the loft, I thought I'd have a go with Extruded Polystyrene baseboard tops to minimise warping.

The no fiddle yard choice might cause some questioning so let me explain that one.  Whenever I go to exhibitions I am always peering at the back of the layouts to see what is there; and if friends come round they comment "oh, you haven't finished this bit with no ballast then"; and probably above all ... I enjoy shunting and so need the space for this.

Most of my stock is old, up to 40 years old, so I'll go for Peco Streamline Code 100 track with Electrofrog Points and with Peco point motors.  I do not have the skills or patience for finescale modelling.

Bits I have never done before ...
- A layout this size (my previous layout was 12' x 6') and that was 30 years ago
- Electrofrog points

- Electric Point Motors
- Flexible Track
- Gradients
- Signals
- DCC (but I did have Zero 1)
- Using Extruded Polystyrene for baseboard

What I'd like from you.
Inspiration, ideas and advice.  Realistically, its going to take me 3 years to build and have something I am happy with; so I think
lots of encouragement along the way would be terrific!  Your help to ensure that the plans and are as operationally and prototypically sound as practical.  e.g. I know little about railway operations or signals, but I know there are many on here who do.  

But lets make one step at a time, and think about the overall layout.

It is going to be Great Western, but no specific period (other than 1900 to 1947 so no need to worry about Broad/Mixed gauge!),  however, if you want a datum for track layout etc, then lets go for the 1930's to fit in with the shed.  And I do not have a specific location, but as I like the Kingsbridge Branch, so lets says its based in Devon.

The layout room is around 19' by 9'.  The boards can be just over 2' wide between the roof support struts at their widest point
which is 1m above the floor.  But with both a Junction and a Branch Line they wont both fit.  So I have had a cunning plan of putting the
Branch Line on a different Level.  But I cannot really go up (as the roof is in the way), so I thought we'd go down.  So the Branch
Line curls around the front of the main baseboards in a kind of large spiral ...

See my rough plan if I have managed to attach it properly.

Note that this is not to scale.  The boards in red are lower than those in black.  The attempt at a line in brown is the double
track main; whilst that in green is the branch.

I'll post soon my XtrkCAD plan later then await the comments...

post-19974-0-98564400-1388531453.gif

• RMweb Premium

Good luck with this. It seems a very ambitious project.

I've never used polystyrene for baseboards.... Will they take the weight?

I too wanted different levels, but gave up, having not been able to get it into the space I use. Unlikely to be an issue for you though, but the transition needs to be smooth and very slow!

Interested to see the actual layout plan and watch your progress. Good luck!

And here is the rough XtrkCAD version.  Remember that this is only a draft plan and will change when I have build the baseboards and use the Peco point templates to plan it out full-size.

Note that the Junction station platforms will follow the curve round with the signal box being on the platform (I couldn't figure out how to do curved platforms in the tool).

post-19974-0-00118900-1388578220_thumb.png

Certainly an ambitious project, and most of the things you've never done before aren't that intimidating once you do a little research or 'break the first sod'.

Polystyrene comes in varying forms, you may want to look at the blue foam used in insulation rather than the white stuff that you get wrapped around new washing machines etc., and if you construct an open frame baseboard all is possible.

The most dispiriting part of a new project of this size is ALL that empty space to begin with. So I would make a few suggestions.:-

1. Plan the build in sections or modules. Maybe build a double loop and some sidings with extra junctions included for later, so you have a place to play trains and keep the enthusiasm going when it all comes a little bit too much. It's far easier to take small bites than one massive mouthful. Remember you only see the part of the layout in front of you.

2. Try and build at least basic scenery as you go. Even if you only run trains from one scenic area to another. If there's no scenery think about painting it black. It's funny how trains look better on an empty black baseboard than on bare timber/foam.

3. Think about varying your tasks rather than doing things in bulk. Variety being the spice of life. Reward yourself after doing a mundane task with a fun task.

4. Think about things as you go along, and be prepared to change something if it's not right, rather than doggedly ploughing on into inertia and the Slough of Despond.

5. And of course post pictures of your progress here. The encouragement and suggestions you get back in return can keep the enthusiasm going when you most need it.

6. Finally - just have fun and enjoy yourself!

Regards

Eric

Hi KGV,

Looks like a great project.

I agree with Maunsel that they key will be to get some trains running as soon as you can. I'll bet your ideas / trackplans change as you sit with a cup of tea, a kit-kat and let the locos loosen up.

Cheers,

Steve

Hi KGV,

Sounds to me like you are going to fun. I also agree with Maunsel. I know from my own experience that it starts off well, then begins to feel like you have bitten off far too much and I found myself looking longingly at 1foot by 8 foot layouts! But it is easier in stages.

I have a similar size space to you and am a GWR fan. I also had a similar list of issues to yours. Take a look at my blog - Buckingham West.

Rich

Good luck with this. It seems a very ambitious project.

I've never used polystyrene for baseboards.... Will they take the weight?

I too wanted different levels, but gave up, having not been able to get it into the space I use. Unlikely to be an issue for you though, but the transition needs to be smooth and very slow!

Interested to see the actual layout plan and watch your progress. Good luck!

Hi Neal

There are several topics on using Extruded Polystyrene (Styrofoam) for baseboards on this forum, which gave me the idea (e.g. see this one).  As the layout is in the loft and will fluctuate from hot to cold during the year I thought it best to use material that cannot warp, especially reading stories of people who have had baseboards bending in their garages etc.  It also has the advantage of being easy to form scenery, and to install well turntables etc.  I also plan to use it for the gradients, but that's a while off yet!

Certainly an ambitious project, and most of the things you've never done before aren't that intimidating once you do a little research or 'break the first sod'.

Polystyrene comes in varying forms, you may want to look at the blue foam used in insulation rather than the white stuff that you get wrapped around new washing machines etc., and if you construct an open frame baseboard all is possible.

The most dispiriting part of a new project of this size is ALL that empty space to begin with. So I would make a few suggestions.:-

1. Plan the build in sections or modules. Maybe build a double loop and some sidings with extra junctions included for later, so you have a place to play trains and keep the enthusiasm going when it all comes a little bit too much. It's far easier to take small bites than one massive mouthful. Remember you only see the part of the layout in front of you.

2. Try and build at least basic scenery as you go. Even if you only run trains from one scenic area to another. If there's no scenery think about painting it black. It's funny how trains look better on an empty black baseboard than on bare timber/foam.

3. Think about varying your tasks rather than doing things in bulk. Variety being the spice of life. Reward yourself after doing a mundane task with a fun task.

4. Think about things as you go along, and be prepared to change something if it's not right, rather than doggedly ploughing on into inertia and the Slough of Despond.

5. And of course post pictures of your progress here. The encouragement and suggestions you get back in return can keep the enthusiasm going when you most need it.

6. Finally - just have fun and enjoy yourself!

Regards

Eric

Thanks maunsel

Some good points here.  I intend to lay a rough double track oval as soon as the baseboards are done.  As you say, this will keep me interested as well as running the cobwebs out of my older locos which have not run for nearly 30 years.  And then take it slowly and be prepared to change my plans as the templates and track is laid.  Just calculating the cost of track and points is eye-watering enough .. so I am not expecting to add alot to my stock over the next couple of years!

Anyway, a truck load of wood arrives tomorrow and then I'll start on the baseboards and so hope to have some pictures of progress to post soon.

Hi KGV,

Sounds to me like you are going to fun. I also agree with Maunsel. I know from my own experience that it starts off well, then begins to feel like you have bitten off far too much and I found myself looking longingly at 1foot by 8 foot layouts! But it is easier in stages.

I have a similar size space to you and am a GWR fan. I also had a similar list of issues to yours. Take a look at my blog - Buckingham West.

Rich

Hi Richard

I have just read your Blog with much interest, there are indeed many similarities between our layouts.  I shall follow your progress with great interest.

Thanks maunsel

Some good points here.  I intend to lay a rough double track oval as soon as the baseboards are done.  As you say, this will keep me interested as well as running the cobwebs out of my older locos which have not run for nearly 30 years.  And then take it slowly and be prepared to change my plans as the templates and track is laid.  Just calculating the cost of track and points is eye-watering enough .. so I am not expecting to add alot to my stock over the next couple of years!

Anyway, a truck load of wood arrives tomorrow and then I'll start on the baseboards and so hope to have some pictures of progress to post soon.

Although the RTR models of nowadays run very well and look superb I do like the "old" stuff. The added detail on modern models seems to demand a higher fidelity of scenery and landscape. I still like watching old Hornby and Lima stuff trundle around a Superquick world! The only problem comes when mixing old and new - it can turn out to be rather expensive when one is seduced (oooh er, steady matron) by these lovely new models!

Careful browsing and bidding on ebay can turn up some bargains on track work, as can the second hand stall at model rail shows. A lot of this tends to be Code 100. Bundles of track from dealers who split up train set packs can also turn up the odd bargain.

Eric

• 3 weeks later...

Hi ya

Great track plan, look forward to seeing the photo progress.

Jamie

Thanks Jamie.

We have built 6 of the 14 baseboards so far and things are starting to take shape ... I'll try and take some pics of the progress this weekend to share.

Archived