Deadmans Lane. Racing to York. Easter 2024

newbryford

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/10/2020 at 22:00, newbryford said:

DL will be on virtual show on 7/8 Nov in the BRM World of Railways event.

Glad to say I "caught" Deadman's Lane yesterday. Really impressive work.

A brilliant concept, superbly executed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Jack374 said:

Hopefully 2021 will bring some opportunities to see DL, can't wait to play trains operate again.

Jack.

You were right first time!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

As it was September/October 2020 when DL had a partial run and Feb 2020 when the layout was last at a show, I'm starting to think about how the stock will be after such a long layoff.

The layout and stock is stored in a sensible place with no extremes of temperature or humidity, but I'm planning a major stock clean/test session over the coming weeks as well as trying to trim down the amount of stuff I take.

I usually have a 1.5x more rolling stock than the layout can accommodate and 2-2.5x the locos required!

I also need to get on with a few more details and finish even more stock!

Gonna be busy!

• Like 13
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, newbryford said:

usually have a 1.5x more rolling stock than the layout can accommodate and 2-2.5x the locos required!

Oh yeah done that! I told myself I’d use different sets at each show then ended up taking both to most so it was more entertaining for us as each day was different :lol:

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

Oh yeah done that! I told myself I’d use different sets at each show then ended up taking both to most so it was more entertaining for us as each day was different :lol:

I tried that on previous smaller layouts and found that it was a b&ll&che and time consuming task. Nowadays, we may swap a couple of locos and possibly move a couple of sets from inner to outer circuit (and vice versa).

Hence the planned cull for the next show.

(As if it'll actually happen - the cull, that is)

• Like 8

• newbryford changed the title to Deadmans Lane. Time for a clean and service.
1 hour ago, newbryford said:

As it was September/October 2020 when DL had a partial run and Feb 2020 when the layout was last at a show, I'm starting to think about how the stock will be after such a long layoff.

The layout and stock is stored in a sensible place with no extremes of temperature or humidity, but I'm planning a major stock clean/test session over the coming weeks as well as trying to trim down the amount of stuff I take.

I usually have a 1.5x more rolling stock than the layout can accommodate and 2-2.5x the locos required!

I also need to get on with a few more details and finish even more stock!

Gonna be busy!

Big spiders hiding in sheds....just waiting for hand with track rubber!

• Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, newbryford said:

Hence the planned cull for the next show.

(As if it'll actually happen - the cull, that is)

For clarity - a cull of the stock most likely means that it'll go into extended store ready for the next show (or layout). 

A very faint possibility is eventual sale in many months/couple of years to fund the next whizz-bang shiny model (but not a Bachy 47 unless it's 47593/47712 on last year's Staycation Express)

• Like 3

10 hours ago, newbryford said:

For clarity - a cull of the stock most likely means that it'll go into extended store ready for the next show (or layout). 

A very faint possibility is eventual sale in many months/couple of years to fund the next whizz-bang shiny model (but not a Bachy 47 unless it's 47593/47712 on last year's Staycation Express)

What colour will the new Yellow be? Green Shed by any chance Mick?

• newbryford changed the title to Deadmans Lane. March 2022 for the next show - plenty of time to make it 4 feet longer!
  • RMweb Premium

The next public outing has now been confirmed (subject to CV-19 not affecting things) as Aly Pally March 2022.

As a winter project, I'll be extending the storage road by 4 feet so I can "double up" a few more trains as well as making the two long ones - errr - longer!

The plan also includes a matching extension to the scenic section.

That'll fill in a few winter nights!

• Like 14
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

34 minutes ago, newbryford said:

The next public outing has now been confirmed (subject to CV-19 not affecting things) as Aly Pally March 2022.

As a winter project, I'll be extending the storage road by 4 feet so I can "double up" a few more trains as well as making the two long ones - errr - longer!

The plan also includes a matching extension to the scenic section.

That'll fill in a few winter nights!

ONLY FOUR FEET? :lol: Have you no ambition man, think Chester Cathedral. :laugh:

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, 5BarVT said:

Will it be reversible so that you can still fit in smaller venues?

Paul.

Probably not for the scenic section, but the yard can be shortened back to 16' overall for use with future (smaller) projects.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1