Deadmans Lane. Racing to York. Easter 2024

newbryford

• RMweb Premium

This may help,

Hi Tom,

Thanks for that. As I've got plenty of vertical space above the door (and it's not glazed as per the video) I can probably get away with a solid door sliding up and down.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Last bit of work on DL for a couple of weeks as I prepare stuff for New Bryford going to Stafford in a couple of weeks (Expect some a bit of activity on the workbench thread.....)

I've fitted the middle cross pieces - already pre-drilled for wiring. The same corner blocks are used to reinforce the joints. There is now minimal twist along the frame and I know that this will go down to near zero when the tops are screwed and glued on.

post-408-0-58746300-1389907963_thumb.jpg

I think I've managed to sort out a source for the laser cut buildings, but more of that nearer the time.

In the meantime, as I get chance, I'll still be researching the site (and stock) detail.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Recent photo research throws up FGW 57/6 and EMT 158's to add to my fleet. (Hoping that the revamped Bachy 158 will be ready by September 2015)

Recent visitors have been a preserved 45 - it may still be there, and a Tata liveried 20.

Cheers,

Mick

riviera 47 can be added too!

15052008811.jpg

and for a bit of variety i had it coupled to this......

15052008810.jpg

back on shed

14052008804.jpg

dont forget the static grass!

25062008959.jpg

25062008957.jpg

Edited by big jim
  • Like 6

Nice pics Big Jim, and BTW thanks for the tips on Hornby Black 5 sound courtesy of Howes, (I just Googled Hornby Black 5 sound), it has change mine completely.

Looking forward to the build immensely Mick.

Andy :sungum:

Edited by Andrew P

Guest Digital

Hi Mick, I'm looking forward to seeing New Bryford again, its a long tome since I last saw it, would it have been at Manchester a few years ago?

Anyway I'll pop by and say hello on the Sat.

Hi Mick

Baseboard is looking good and very nicely made.

Also looking forward to seeing New Bryford at the Stafford show

John

Edited by Digital

• RMweb Premium

Although work on DL is (supposed to be) taking a two week sabbatical, I was in my local model shop a couple of days ago and made the first scenic purchase - six packets of Peco LK156 inspection pits. These will be integral to laying the track, so I needed to purchase them reasonably early on in the project.

Whilst I was "minding the shop" at wife's work for the last three evenings, I had chance to assemble them.

post-408-0-14302100-1390429540_thumb.jpg

It's the first time I've built any of these and I'm quite impressed at the ease and accuracy of them.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mick

A snippet of EDU inspiration for you.......

Hi Jon,

Ta for the pic.

Have you got the unedited (full colour version?

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

Hi Mick

No probs, see below plus a few more I snapped.

Taken by myself with permission and i'm happy to see them on your thread but I trust everyone will respect that they're not for re posting or reproduction anywhere else please.

As I said on my own thread a few weeks ago, if anyone wants to drop me a PM requesting pictures I may be able to get whilst on my travels, just let me know, i'd be happy to help.

post-6667-0-67250500-1390745712.jpg

post-6667-0-66094000-1390745705.jpg

post-6667-0-76558600-1390745692.jpg

post-6667-0-57872100-1390745686.jpg

post-6667-0-02559800-1390745700_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Don't encourage him!! It just means more yellow bloody trains!!!!!

But in fairness if you want to build rail grinder unit that would be cool ......

Hope the rest of the show goes well ......

Spike :-)

• Like 1

Following with interest Mick, especially as it is so local to me.

I thought about Deadmans Lane as a layout before I decided to go with First Avenue so I can stick with my Freightliner stock.

Your baseboards look great by the way!

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes come on Mick, Stafford has gone for 2014, :O  are you booked with Deadmans for 2015? :no:  If not why not! :O

It won't be ready until at least September 2015. I've already had a conversation with Colin re: 2016.....

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Come on Mick, were waiting with baited breath, hahhaa

Here we go.

The tops are screwed into place before extra fixings are added. They have also been glued. Then it's upside down for the next stage.

post-408-0-61162100-1392143288_thumb.jpg

These are 1" square battens, screwed and glued into place to add extra strength to the side/top joint

post-408-0-82771800-1392143299_thumb.jpg

As I mentioned before, I'm trying to make the board joints as stable as possible and battens are screwed glued into place within the end "pockets"

post-408-0-66781500-1392143308_thumb.jpg

The excess PVA has been wiped off.

As the build progresses and begins to take physical shape (and size), I'm still mulling over the trackplan and may yet make it slightly longer............

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Update.

The four main boards are pretty much complete, but as intimated a couple of posts above, I'm considering making it a bit longer.

To assemble all four boards, I need a bit more space than I can easily get indoors (my wife wouldn't appreciate them through the living room to the dining room and she's not away again for another 5 or 6 weeks)

Plan A is to put them up outdoors, but the great British weather is having none of it at the moment, so there's a delay in the next planning stage. Whenever the weather has been holding for long enough to do the plan, I've got other commitments, such as work!

The other immediate task is to seal the boards with thin varnish to minimise against moisture ingress in the future. This is also an outside task which the weather is delaying.

In the meantime, I've given them a quick once-over with a sander to remove any splinters and flaky edges.

So until the modified planning stage can proceed, there's a bit of a hold-up

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1