Deadmans Lane. Showing off at DEMU Showcase - June 2024

newbryford

• RMweb Gold

Ive decided to build a little layout for the new year using a small 5ft by 1ft baseboard i have lying round and unused parts from building the shed layout (and a bit of overstocking of modelzone closing down sale parts)

Im going to do a terminus station (a spare Heljan tackly station i have) with an adjacent wagon shop i recon to save buying stock and an excuse to run short mixed wagon rakes

The main reason being i can build it indoors in the warm!!

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

A quick search of my in-law's loft has turned up trumps with previously aborted projects.....

There are six baseboards - all 2' wide, four at 4' and two at 3'6" long.

This project may kick off sooner than planned.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

A quick search of my in-law's loft has turned up trumps with previously aborted projects.....

There are six baseboards - all 2' wide, four at 4' and two at 3'6" long.

A minor setback, but not too disappointing as it was only a vague hope that the boards would be suitable and I had guessed at their sizes in a dark loft.

One board is 4' x 2'3", 4" deep. One board is 4' x 2' x 6" deep and has a MDF top.

Two are only 3'6" long. One at 2' wide and the other at 2'3"

The other two are 4' x 2' x 3" deep and quite flexible....

I'll make out a cutting list tonight and if I get chance visit my local friendly sawmill tomorrow or Monday.

In the meantime, I've been trying to draw the layout in Anyrail. If I create something suitable, then I'll post here.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

Hi Mick, That sounds like a good plan so far, Soon you will have the NEW DRS 68 to add to the stable as well, its so pretty.

Its a Depot with a difference and a reason and that's the thing that will set it apart from a normal Depot Layout.

Well done and please keep the pics coming, both prototype and model.

All the best,

Andy :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

I'll make out a cutting list tonight and if I get chance visit my local friendly sawmill tomorrow or Monday.

I am now the proud owner of a flatpack layout..............................

Pics later after I get back from work,

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks to Google Earth - here's an overview of the site that the layout is based on.

The EDU is the large shed at the left, with the vehicle workshop in the middle. The grey/white Derby-Long Eaton line crosses from top right to bottom left immediately adjacent to the site, with EMT Etches Park depot on the other side of the main line.

post-408-0-60587600-1388938532_thumb.jpg

And this is a crop of what I'm trying to represent.

post-408-0-88324000-1388938562_thumb.jpg

This afternoon was spent dismantling the boards that I had found - if only to make way for me to build some more.

And it's now got a name - "Deadman's Lane", which is the access road from London Road to the EMT depot. The lane is just off the larger picture to the left.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mick, now this sounds like a very nice layout in the making. Some lovely buildings to model and your yellow fleet will look great sat in front of them.

I look forward to seeing this develop.

At least the two sheds I'm doing should be a bit easier than your monster!

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

I am now the proud owner of a flatpack layout..............................

Pics later after I get back from work,

Cheers,

Mick

This is the flatpack.

post-408-0-87005000-1388956938_thumb.jpg

As the site is relatively flat (and long), I've no need for any extra vertical depth to the baseboards. The mainline at the front will rise slightly, but that's easily accommodated within the flat board structure.

There will be 4 boards each 4' x 2' with a further board at one end, probably about 15" wide (possibly reusing another board I happen to have in stock......

I don't have any intentions to use any spectacularly different board building techniques and I know there are many different ways to build boards, but this one works for me.

I'm pretty busy next week with work and other commitments, but I'll be glueing and screwing as I get chance.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Mick

You will never complete it in time for the Stafford 2014 exhibition

Terry

Easy - It's only 4 weeks away....................

Oh, sorry, can't bring it as I already have a layout there!

See you then.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

Just looking at BR days, the variety of stock that could be found there was amazing.

Just off the top of my head I can recall seeing examples of classes 08, 17, 23, 24, 28, 31, 33, 35, 42, 46, 47, 55, 56, 58, 59, 60, 87, 89, 90, 91. Plus APT-E, bits of APT-P, the prototype HST and Kestrel.

Poor Old Bruce (above) will know the place like the back of his hand, so can greatly add to my list.

Edited by Western Sunset

A cinder path leads from...

Deadman's Lane, where my car is parked just now, to Derwent House, where I sit typing this; on the first big photo in post 13, but cropped off the second....

• RMweb Premium

Time for some power tool action.........................

Edit: Especially as it now has a provisional exhibition booking.............

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1