Deadmans Lane. Racing to York. Easter 2024

newbryford

• RMweb Premium

The cold turkey is in the microwave. (otherwise known as my work warehouse - Thanks Boss!)

IMG-20200824-WA0003.jpg.8b35a3ded4a39eb94de637633fae6fff.jpg

Moving trains soon!

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 17

The big metal turntable at the back left of the storage yard......

do the trains enter the tunnel at the bottom right of it and spin round coming out on to the storage loops

facing the other direction ??

This is one of my favourite layouts and what  a great space to set up and test

regards dan

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

It is mostly assembled. The bridge is to be added at this end for starters.

DL200528.jpg.ae14915926ad7758aeaac1ddeda3749f.jpg

I have been considering extending it - mainly to improve storage capacity.

It can be relatively easily accomplished at the back by adding a straight section in the middle of the yard [*] - but wondering how it would impact at the scenic side.

One possibility is to simply add a similar length section in between the curve and the existing scenic section, but I think that is an easy way out.

It isn't really feasible to add to the scenic section at the nearest end in the above pic

The far end is a possibility as the existing sidings are at 90 degrees to the board end and it wouldn't be too difficult to extend them onto the new board and maybe include the shed on the prototype "road 19".

road19.jpg.efd5ac4cd1e9b3e4e48c737f4683709c.jpg

It would be "road 10" for DL.....

The siding nearest the main line (road 12) can be extended and then rejoined to the through line (road 13) to form a loop (much as the prototype does in that area. I can also include a building to represent Derby signal box and devise a better scenic break than is there now - which I've never really been happy with.

The extended front sidings 11/12/13 will quite happily accommodate my - on the workbench to finish pile - NMT

Electrically - not a problem as the DCC feed would simply be extended and I do have one spare channel on my Alpha control system to accommodate the extra point......

But it's not just as simple as typing the above - I have also to consider the logistics of two extra boards - that aren't exactly small.

[*] Although the siding count would remain the same, the extra length - probably four feet - would mean that some of the existing long trains would move outwards - away from the centre roads, allowing a couple of shorter trains to take their place on the now extended sidings. (Although I'm sure JT would add to his container train and I would be able to run my full collection of TEAs to occupy two of the newly lengthened roads). A rough and ready number would be 4-6 extra trains per direction - meaning more stock and more logistics issues.........

Serious consideration will be applied to the idea in the next few weeks.

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 15
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, newbryford said:

Serious consideration will be applied to the idea in the next few weeks.

You know you want to !

Every other layout you’ve been involved with has grown from its original size. :P

More seriously, the extra building at the far end, plus maybe a bit more curve to the road used as the scenic break, would look pretty good !

( & it would give G a longer ‘run-up’ for extra speed in his crashes during shunting........:laugh:)

cheers,

Phil.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

Glad to see it set up...have fun playing with your train set! Nice place to disappear at lunchtime... :senile:

The siding nearest the main line (road 12) can be extended and then rejoined to the through line (road 13) to form a loop (much as the prototype does in that area. I can also include a building to represent Derby signal box and devise a better scenic break than is there now - which I've never really been happy with.

Another loop is very much needed on the front I reckon, I always tried to keep the small 'loop' clear in the yard to allow run round. On the real RTC two shunters very rarely work together, but even with two there are still times you just want to run around some stock or a loco. I’d say go for it! :yes:
And I agree about better scenic break, there’s no bridge there IRL!

...Although I'm sure JT would add to his container train and I would be able to run my full collection of TEAs...

I'm not made of money! But I would like a longer container train :D More TEAs would look cool, especially with some CavAlex ones in there too...

I hope you’ll be keeping us entertained with some virtual exhibition photos and videos?

Jack.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Jack374 said:

I hope you’ll be keeping us entertained with some virtual exhibition photos and videos?

Jack.

Possibly...........

;)

• Like 3

Hi Mick, How about adding a strait ish bit at this end, i.e. between this side of the Bridge that is not there yet, and the curve, scenically with loops / in a cutting, walled or Grass? 15ft should do it.:laugh_mini2:

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

id say definitely extend the nearest sidings to the mainline to make ‘way works 1and 2’ and have a representation of derby box at the end

the 2 sidings at the back at same end, you could turn that into a runround loop as per the prototype, that way the shunt loco isnt always trapped at one end of a rake of coaches, bonus being its behind the shed on road 19 which you said you could model 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, bradfordbuffer said:

My goodness ... I know you you want it bigger ...but 2.5 to 3 miles between control points !

:(

Actually - that may be a good idea having unfortunately experienced some of the operating team's lack of bowel control............

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 7

2 hours ago, newbryford said:

Actually - that may be a good idea having unfortunately experienced some of the operating team's lack of bowel control............

Its not going to get any better ..........

'We' and you...not getting any younger...especially as I've joined the over 50s club this year!

Birthday during lockdown!  And I was taking (and paying) all family for a curry....bloody shame lockdown happened....!

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

A pleasant day was had playing trains and catching up properly with some of the DL team. The session was also to make sure their route competency was up to date.

It was a refreshing change to let the same train trundle round a few times rather than the usual exhibition routine of only running once before selecting another to show to the public.

The chance was taken to test three new additions to the loco roster - all Hattons 66s.

One ran faultlessly, whilst the other two suffered the niggly issues that are well documented elsewhere. They will be fixed soon.

The two mainline 4-aspect signals have had the auto-reset function reinstated. They are controlled by a simple circuit with a decade counter - the first design of which was deficient in a diode that I think caused them to fail. Longer term testing will be carried out at the next few running sessions.

I have also discovered a couple of track faults that were easily sorted - nothing more than routine maintenance.

I didn't take many photos today, they will follow in the next few weeks.

However - there was very special visitor returning to her spiritual home that couldn't be missed.

APT.jpg.174b1886c80e610949297b4f45266001.jpg

apt1.jpg.6082788c9cafa2af116f6c47d2497278.jpg

It even made a few demonstration high speed passes on the mainline!

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 14

15 minutes ago, newbryford said:

A pleasant day was had playing trains and catching up properly with some of the DL team. The session was also to make sure their route competency was up to date.

It was a refreshing change to let the same train trundle round a few times rather than the usual exhibition routine of only running once before selecting another to show to the public.

The chance was taken to test three new additions to the loco roster - all Hattons 66s.

One ran faultlessly, whilst the other two suffered the niggly issues that are well documented elsewhere. They will be fixed soon.

The two mainline 4-aspect signals have had the auto-reset function reinstated. They are controlled by a simple circuit with a decade counter - the first design of which was deficient in a diode that I think caused them to fail. Longer term testing will be carried out at the next few running sessions.

I have also discovered a couple of track faults that were easily sorted - nothing more than routine maintenance.

I didn't take many photos today, they will follow in the next few weeks.

However - there was very special visitor returning to her spiritual home that couldn't be missed.

APT.jpg.174b1886c80e610949297b4f45266001.jpg

apt1.jpg.6082788c9cafa2af116f6c47d2497278.jpg

It even made a few demonstration high speed passes on the mainline!

The APT-E looks something out of a disposition future film like hunger games .....the Capitol Express 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, bradfordbuffer said:

The APT-E looks something out of a disposition future film like hunger games .....the Capitol Express 

Possibly - but it did sound pretty impressive out on the main...........

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...