Deadmans Lane. Racing to York. Easter 2024

newbryford

Nice to see Deadman's today and it really is an exceptional Layout, well done Mick and Crew.:good:

Don't look so worried Jack, it may never happen, haha.

IMG_9949.JPG.cde860f76502ca480f362dee9005903c.JPG

IMG_9944.JPG.c627f5092581f9e4f60252fa4bee976c.JPG

IMG_0024.JPG.99d441e5a2f34b80c5f3938c6dce3d0c.JPG

IMG_9948.JPG.13489215edaf6fc59a037b46709fa220.JPG

SORRY about the P poor quality Guys.:fie:

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 12

Visited Hazel Grove today and was really impressed by Deadmans lane layout, plenty of interesting train formations, some very lengthy ones, the Yellow models were mainly backgound scenes and some shunting movements. The class 60 movement with the  lengthy EWS and VTG tanks formation were very interesting. just to mention one of many other formations

Today seemed quiet and easy to view the layouts easily.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Don't look so worried Jack, it may never happen, haha.

Wow you really caught me in the act there. I was keeping an eye on a couple of rowdy folk at the time, I think one was called George and the other may have been called Andy??...... :D

Great to see you both today!

Jack.

(P.S photos from today will follow at some point...)

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
On 26/10/2019 at 20:53, Jack374 said:

Day one of Hazel Grove Exhibition went well...once we arrived! Poor traffic meant we got there this morning with less than ten minutes to spare. Coupled with the fact we were setting up late last night and had to leave before all stock was on, it was quite a busy first few hours! The layout ran well with only a few minor signal issues - Mick can explain at some point. 

On behalf of the DL crew, thanks to Andy and the rest of the team at HG&DMRS for looking after us.

DL continues to improve in operation and reliability.

(At least I think so!)

Mostly down to familiarity from the operating team (thanks to you guys)

Last week, I amended the signal controls to include a manually operated red/yellow/double yellow/green aspect with a "stepper" control using a 4017 decade counter.

Nothing complicated and quite simple to make. It includes a manual reset to red from any aspect and also an auto reset using a block detector module.

Tested on the bench and also when first installed.

I built, installed and tested them a few days ago, but on Friday night after setup, it seemed as though they weren't working properly - with the manual reset being a no-go and the auto reset being intermittent.

We had a work around for Saturday and an overnight perusal came up with a small mod that removed the manual reset and then the auto function then worked faultlessly and I know what it needs to modify the circuit and I'll build a couple more circuit boards and have them installed for the next show.

(I'll draw up the circuit later)

I also have a plan to further improve the operation and add to the stock rotation from the storage yards.

Other improvements to setup/breakdown are also in the pipeline.

Next stop Stafford in Feb 2020.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

What a cracking layout this is and an excellent bunch of fellow modellers enjoyed they company at Hazel Grove this weekend as my Chester Northgate 6D layout backed onto Deadmans Lane at the show. They certainly put the work on behind the scenes at the show to entertain the public 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Much pre-planning has taken place for the fiddle yard extension to increase stock storage and therefore more trains to play with!

It will now become 10 roads each way instead of the existing 6.

Currently, the 6 roads tend to be occupied by 3 long trains and then 3 roads doubled up as 2 x shorter trains (220 plus 156 for example, giving 9 per direction.

The shortest road will now be just under 5feet long (it may fit a 221, but will definitely accommodate a 220), so I'm hoping that the total train capacity will go up to about 14-15 trains each way.

I have more than enough stock to fill the extra space (as well as providing space for Jacks ever expanding collection.................................)

The requisite wood has been obtained and cut. Track has been 98% procured - I'm missing one medium left point, but that will be sorted in the next few days. The expansion of the Megapoints system is virtually finalised - again sorted in the next few days. Including new (relocated at the request of my team) control boxes for the routing panels

All I have to do is build it before Stafford Ex in February 2020.

Pics as progress is made.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
On 21/11/2019 at 08:15, Phil Mc said:

Are the new control boxes going to be ‘fat finger’ proof, to take away someone’s excuse for routing issues ??!!:lol:

cheers,

Phil.

They will have nice shiny combined button/LEDs with a proper "click".  

So the answer is yes.........

• Like 4

On 22/11/2019 at 09:58, newbryford said:

They will have nice shiny combined button/LEDs with a proper "click".  

So the answer is yes.........

Times have moved on with all this new fangled .......

D Double C! It should be voice activated route setting....

Or thought mind controlled!.....for readers old enough.....'firefox' film with Clint Eastwood.....'think in Russian'.....that's me bugged the only Russian I know is vodka! 

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, bradfordbuffer said:

Times have moved on with all this new fangled .......

D Double C! It should be voice activated route setting....

Or thought mind controlled!.....for readers old enough.....'firefox' film with Clint Eastwood.....'think in Russian'.....that's me bugged the only Russian I know is vodka! 

Voice control may struggle to understand Scouse with a hint of Yorkshire. 

As for thought control, I don't pay my operators to think........

:P

• Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, leopardml2341 said:

Lancastrian buying 'a' round, let alone the first.......??????

And that from a Yorkshireman........................?

Words fail me.

:D

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

The board "up-sizing" is virtually complete.

The original two centre boards have been fitted with outriggers to support the new wider top.

DLx2.jpg.7f5e82eb2b8826cf0fcbad6332eddc59.jpg

DLx1.jpg.bbaca6211082884e07a1dff854c06864.jpg

Short matching triangular sections to be fitted to the two outer main pointwork boards and then tracklaying can commence.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Looking good Mick, I’ll have to get a wiggle on and get some proper trains ready to fill the space, not that you need help with that...

You'll have to invest in longer whiteboards now for the additional numbers.

Jack.

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Jack374 said:

You'll have to invest in longer whiteboards now for the additional numbers.

Jack.

Or operators with better memories...…………..

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Work has been proceeding on the enlarged storage sidings as time allows.

All the tracklaying is complete with microswitches - as before - for point frog polarity. I just need to wire them, but that should be a reasonably quick job. There is as small amount of track DCC wiring to add to the new siding roads.

All the point servos are installed and part tested with the extended Megapoints routeing gear. I now have two route boards - one for each of the inner and outer circuits - as the route count has gone from 24 to 40 - so each router now controls 20 routes.

There is one inter-board cable to be fitted that carries the signals for 6 servos from a new 12 channel servo controller (there are actually 16 new servos, but I did have two spare channels at each end to feed the two new servos on each end board)

The "inner" two FY boards now have 6 new servos each, so 1x 12 way controller looks after them.

Just need to finish off the new "bling" route  control boxes that should give more reliable operation that the original panels. The previous route control pushbuttons required a positive press, so I've made them a bit more idiot proof (one is a very infrequent RMwebber, the other isn't on here - so I'm not talking about G, J and C............ - you know who you are)

The "big test" should be in the next 10 days or so depending on work/family/other stock commitments.

Then it's readying the stock for Stafford. If I get chance, I'll post stuff on the workbench thread.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 4