Cwm Bach - A South Wales Branch Line

81A Oldoak

• RMweb Gold

Nice to see the progress Chris. It is worth takng a bit of time in fine tuning the plan.

Regarding the slide chairs and loss of sleepers. Full size they would be bolted to the stock rail, a bit fiddly in 7mm. Personaly I have never had a problem as I build my track in situ. I wonder if you built the turnouts on a thin card base or a clear plastic base if you need to see the markings for alignment. Admittedly you would need to use card under the plain track at least at the joins. It would stop any movement of the timbers in a turnout which is possible at least until the rails are painted which seems to inhibit movement.

Don

Looks great Chris, I like the branch climbing behind the box and the paddy train will be a must. Looking forward to seeing it come together.

Will you be back dating the Ivatt?

Steve,

I'll backdate the Ivatt in due course. She is a superb runner.

It certainly is Chris. We had a similar experience yesterday when my Hudswell Clarke "Christine" drew up alongside a J50 tank on Dock Green. These are great hulking brutes of machines, especially when seen alongside the Dinky little industrial. Incidentally I do like the weathering on your Hudswell Clarke, although I think the one-man crew of "Christine" is quite proud of "his" loco and will be keeping it quite clean.

Consultant? Crikey! Is this promotion? Do I get a badge?

Chaz

Perhaps we can rustle up one of these? http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbbc/topics/blue-peter-badges 

Hi Chris,

Superb work, nice to see the layout progressing so quickly now.

Are any of the points the one's that you built cost effectively from Peco parts (as mentioned in one of your articles in RM from a while back)?

Kind regards,

CME

PS I see that someone has, in March 2014 BRM, fettled and modified one of the Ixion Fowlers - I am looking forward to see that!

Hi Chris,

Superb work, nice to see the layout progressing so quickly now.

Are any of the points the one's that you built cost effectively from Peco parts (as mentioned in one of your articles in RM from a while back)?

Kind regards,

CME

PS I see that someone has, in March 2014 BRM, fettled and modified one of the Ixion Fowlers - I am looking forward to see that!

The three-way tandem, which is a big beastie and the key to the layout, and two of the points are built from PECO parts. The remainder are C&L apart from the point leading off to the loco shed, which is PECO Streamline and being used merely for experimentation. It will be replaced by a hand-built point. My construction technique uses small lengths of 4mm scale copper-clad sleeper strip filed down to the thickness of the base of the chairs. The strips are glued to the sleepers and allow for some flexibility and minor adjustment as the crossings are soldered in place.  It is a relatively inexpensive method of making points provided you are prepared to file the crossing vees and point blades yourself rather than buy them ready milled. The tandem is an excellent rolling stock tester. I couldn't understand why a BR 16T steel mineral wagon that I purchased secondhand kept derailing through the tandem until, in a Homer Simpson-like epiphany, it slowly dawned on me to measure the back-to-back at which moment I discovered it was a ScaleSeven set of wheels.

The article about converting the Ixion Fowler diesel in the March 2014 edition is by one of the staff modellers, Howard Smith. He is modifying the review sample we sent BRM and the April 2014 edition will have part two about painting and finishing.

post-13142-0-08957200-1394398406_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-54341500-1394398417_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-99605200-1394398431_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I have never tried one but I always imagine that making common crossings in 7mm scale is more of a grind than a file type of job........

I always file them but use a medium file to get the shape then use a fine file to get a smooth surface. Using a needle file to remove a lot of metal would be a pain particularly the point blades.

Don

I always file them but use a medium file to get the shape then use a fine file to get a smooth surface. Using a needle file to remove a lot of metal would be a pain particularly the point blades.

Don

Absolutely. I start with start with heavier files progressing to finer ones. I finish the blades with wet-and-dry paper. I don't think I make enough points to justify a grinding or milling device.

Chris

My limited experience with 7 mm track building (and still being formulated) is to firstly to file and bend the outer parts of the two Vee rails, as per advice from Martin Wynn.

I then grind the branch rail.

Next is the main line rail I file a notch for the branch rail to fit in to.

Now I solder both together in a jig, Finally filing the tip to make a seamless join

Seems to work quite well.

I have used code 75 rail off cuts to good effect when soldering the Vee to the wing rails, as its about 1mm thick when laid on its side

While poking through a box file full of interesting paper railway ephemera, I found these BR(W) Edmondson tickets for the real Cwm Bach Halt in South Wales. Ticket 0602 is dated 11th October 1961 and 0722 is 31st January 1961. Hopefully, this means I won't be collared for an excess fare when I open up the station.

post-13142-0-78303800-1394809834.jpg

• Like 5

I decided to take advantage of the fair weather in the south to make a start on the new baseboards for Cwm Bach. The photo shows the frame for the station baseboard. It is made from 9mm ply strips that I had in stock at home. All joints are glued and screwed around 20mm x 20mm stripwood. The cut-away in the bottom right corner is the start of a bank that will lead down to a river on the next board. The surface will also be 9mm ply. Altogether the frame is about 40% lighter than the first one.

post-13142-0-81963900-1394913353_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

More progress on Cwm Bach. Today was dry so I set to work on the second frame. This is the middle board that has to accommodate that pesky pier and so the construction was rather more tedious. I also set back the front of the frame to accommodate a narrow shelf on which the stream will run. The second shot shows the frames in position on the underframe in the garage. Chaz Harrison please note the man-sized spirit level in this view. The surface boards will probably go on on Wednesday as I have to go to work in London tomorrow.

post-13142-0-29233500-1395082408_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-85052100-1395082409_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

The two photographs attached to this post show the inspiration for the river that will flow along the front of the board that I built today. The colour photo shows a scene at Glyncorrwg South Pit taken by the late Mike Hale in 1962. It appeared on the frint cover of volume 1 covering The Valleys in Mike Hale's series of books titled "Steam in South Wales". This volume was published in 1980 and it accompanied me to Gibraltar the following year when I was posted there as a young  subaltern officer serving with The Staffordshire Regiment. I was immediately capitavated by the scene of decrepitude at Glyncorrwg South Pit, in particular the stream that appears to be full of bricks. Inside the book is a nice photo of a 57XX 0-6-0PT at Glyncorrwg station with a brace of anicient GWR clerestory coaches serving as the miners' paddy train. The second photo shows Bleanavon Low Level and what interests me here is the narrow ledge on which the railway squeezes through to the station that is behind the person taking the photo. I hope to reproduce something similar on Cwm Bach. I can't wait to finish the boards, track-laying and wiring so that I can get on with the scenic work.

post-13142-0-13659500-1395084786_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-31972600-1395084793_thumb.jpg

• Like 19

Spirit level? Yup, noted.

Looking at the prototype pictures I can see what fascination the valleys hold for a modeller. Don't expect me to start going all dewy-eyed at the prospect of copper-capped chimneys but the South Wales lines certainly are beguiling.

Now, how about the LNWR routes.....?   :scratchhead:

Chaz

Looking at the prototype pictures I can see what fascination the valleys hold for a modeller. Don't expect me to start going all dewy-eyed at the prospect of copper-capped chimneys but the South Wales lines certainly are beguiling.

Chaz

I suspect that a LNWR Coal Tank may appear on Cwm Bach at some stage, especially as two were on loan to the NCB, but serviced at Abercynon shed in 1954. I have a photo in a magazine showing the pair on shed at Abercynon in a line with three Taff Vale A class 0-6-2Ts.  They would certainly make a change from copper caps and brass safety valve bonnets. Meanwhile, here they are lurking at the back of Abercynon. http://www.flickr.com/photos/taffytank/5947474464/

Chris 

• Like 3

Chaz

Try the Sirhowy Valley Line from Tredegar down to Nine Mile Point. This was built under the third railway Act of Parliament in 1806 as the Sirhowy Tramroad, but when the GWR didn't give them a high enough offer, they sold to the LNWR instead! See also http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/82673-penllwyn-tramroad-bridge-at-nine-mile-point/

Try the Sirhowy Valley Line from Tredegar down to Nine Mile Point. This was built under the third railway Act of Parliament in 1806 as the Sirhowy Tramroad, but when the GWR didn't give them a high enough offer, they sold to the LNWR instead! See also http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/82673-penllwyn-tramroad-bridge-at-nine-mile-point/

Yes, the Sirhowy Valley is an interesting line. There also plenty of pictures of LNWR Super D 0-8-0s on passenger excurasions to Barry Island. Meanwhile, Stanier 8F 2-8-0s were regular performers on the Pontypool and Neath line that ran across the valleys. I read in one of the Rikard Records books yesterday that half of BR's Western Region steam locos in the 1950s were allocated to South Wales. With pre-grouping locos running into the 1950s and a galaxy of industrials, there is something for almost everyone in South Wales except, perhaps, for the most hardened Eastern and Scottish region types.

• RMweb Gold

Chaz

If you take the photo of Blaenavon Low Level, then High Level (LNWR) is about 150 feet above you, and to the right. Pontypool & Blaenavon Railway still run into High Level.

They had the Coal Tank & Super D on a gala weekend last year.

Ian 

• Like 2

Thinking ahead a couple of weeks to track laying and wiring. The surface of the base-boards will be 9mm ply and I am undecided about the use of an underlay. Deadening sound is not an issue as the trains will not run fast and are all fitted with DCC sound. Traditionally, I have used cork. The main concern is being able to recover pointwork if and when Cwm Bach is lifted, though it is far too early to be thinking about that!

The second consideration is DCC bus-bars. Abersoch and Boduan Junction were DC and I used copper tape for the bus-bars. However, I have some fairly hefty 5 amp wire that I am contemplating using on Cwm Bach. I would be interested in others' experience and recommendations.

I am also going to try the new Peco PLS-100 servos for some of the points and signals. The price is fair, but some extra means of switching the polarity on the crossings is needed. Peco's "Frog Smart" unit is rather steep at £10.50 for one point so I'll probably lash something up from my stock of micro switches. Meanwhile, I have about 30 Tortoise motors acquired during business trips to the USA in the halcyon days of $2 to the pound.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thinking ahead a couple of weeks to track laying and wiring. The surface of the base-boards will be 9mm ply and I am undecided about the use of an underlay. Deadening sound is not an issue as the trains will not run fast and are all fitted with DCC sound. Traditionally, I have used cork. The main concern is being able to recover pointwork if and when Cwm Bach is lifted, though it is far too early to be thinking about that!

The second consideration is DCC bus-bars. Abersoch and Boduan Junction were DC and I used copper tape for the bus-bars. However, I have some fairly hefty 5 amp wire that I am contemplating using on Cwm Bach. I would be interested in others' experience and recommendations.

I am also going to try the new Peco PLS-100 servos for some of the points and signals. The price is fair, but some extra means of switching the polarity on the crossings is needed. Peco's "Frog Smart" unit is rather steep at £10.50 for one point so I'll probably lash something up from my stock of micro switches. Meanwhile, I have about 30 Tortoise motors acquired during business trips to the USA in the halcyon days of $2 to the pound.

I would have thought the Tortoise motor would be ideal, or am I missing something here?

Ian

I would have thought the Tortoise motor would be ideal, or am I missing something here?

Ian

The Tortoise motors are indeed fine and proven pieces of  equipment. The Peco servos are smaller and appear to be simpler to install, especially above the board. It is also possible to programme directly the length and speed of throw, which should be useful for signals. At the moment I am agnostic and therefore willing to experiment.