Cwm Bach - A South Wales Branch Line

81A Oldoak

• RMweb Gold

I`ve not found enough bravery to venture into weathering my kit built 7mm stock, but when I`m ready I will return to using airbrushed  enamel paints.

Following Martyn Welch`s work  I did experiment on my 4mm loco`s before moving over to the big stuff.

LMS7F 001

DCC sound project 056

jn13^023

I was forced to use T cut on my Dukedog as I did`nt like the finish

post-17779-0-25967200-1538579637_thumb.jpg

john

• Like 15

lovely Duke-Dog! one of my favourite.....

I tend not to use T Cut for two reasons. First, the solvent base can soften some of the paints we use if left on too thick or too long, which can be problematic, leading to too much paint being inadvertantly wiped away, and second, I find it doesn't give you a truely flat surface to the paint which can give you that 'panel' like reflection of the light - which is why I use the wet-and dry. T-Cut  does however polish off a lot of the high spots which are the give-away of 'model' paint-work, and give the proper gleam without the over-burden of varnish.

Having said all that, Chris' work for instance, comes out absolutely beautifully - thus demonstrating the old 'what works for one...' saying.....!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Three little maids who, all unwary

Come from a distant factory

All three decorated samples of the forthcoming Minerva 0 Gauge Manning Wardle K 0-6-0ST are now in the UK and visiting Cwm Bach. There are some changes to be made to the lining on some of the models and the buffers, coupling hooks and coupling rods will be blackened on the production models. They will all be supplied fitted with the full wrap-over cab with the weatherboards supplied as painted spare parts. The blue and red versions appear brighter in the photos than in reality. You can see them at the Reading trade show on Saturday 1st December 2018

Chris K

Hi Chris

Superb looking locos, but my only criticism is the coal looks too even and plastic!

Regards, Deano.

Hi Chris

Superb looking locos, but my only criticism is the coal looks too even and plastic!

Regards, Deano.

That's because it is designed with a CAD programme and they are not very good at irregular, random shapes preferring regular geometric shapes. The coal load will only be clipped in and will be the first to thing to go on my personalised models. Our healthy book of advanced orders indicate that it is unlikely to be a deal breaker.

Regards,

CK

• Like 2

I’d bet the CAD can do it just fine.

I think the issue is the poor human on the other side of the mouse, trying to draw a collection of something in the region of 300 different sized & shaped “not quite random” 3-4 inch lumps. Probably take as long as designing 100 “proper” 3D forms. And far less satisfying!

Trust the show went well,

Best

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Rich,

As a general rule, matt varnish gets nowhere near my models. It conceals the glossy finish I am trying to simulate with the polishing and, in my opinion, ruins the effect of weathering powders. For very dirty models, I find weathering powders do a good job flattening shininess and if they rub off with handling, I simply apply more. I seem to recall Martyn Welch saying that a GWR 45XX model that had that lovely oily finish that is so hard to reproduce, would only improve with handling. 

Regards,

Chris

Rather late in reading this Chris. I borrowed a 633 class built by ALan Brackenborough I asked about the lovely weathered effect he responded with the final comment that years of handling the model had produced a patina particularly on the side tanks that achieved the 'cleaned ' look.

Don

• Like 2

That's because it is designed with a CAD programme and they are not very good at irregular, random shapes preferring regular geometric shapes. The coal load will only be clipped in and will be the first to thing to go on my personalised models. Our healthy book of advanced orders indicate that it is unlikely to be a deal breaker.

Regards,

CK

It's such a lovely looking loco that I'm sure it will be a hit! Well done.

Regards, Deano.

• Like 1

I’d bet the CAD can do it just fine.

I think the issue is the poor human on the other side of the mouse, trying to draw a collection of something in the region of 300 different sized & shaped “not quite random” 3-4 inch lumps. Probably take as long as designing 100 “proper” 3D forms. And far less satisfying!

Trust the show went well,

Best

Simon

Simon,

We had an excellent show achieving almost double our sales target for the day. A big thank you to our customers; it will be plowed back into the next project.

We produced the coal load because the Manning Wardle is so open, but I prefer to leave bunkers empty and let owners do their own thing. 

Rather late in reading this Chris. I borrowed a 633 class built by ALan Brackenborough I asked about the lovely weathered effect he responded with the final comment that years of handling the model had produced a patina particularly on the side tanks that achieved the 'cleaned ' look.

Don

I recall Martin Welch making a similar remark in his original book about weathering. It is possible to accelerate the process with some thumb-rubbing. 

Regards,

CK

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

I managed to get an hour on the signal I am making for the Southampton MRS layout this morning after posting Christmas presents to hopefully happy customers. The main developments have been the installation of a correct pattern finial, a ladder and a crank below the base-plate. The signal is the Up Starter and will be mounted on the platform. It is now ready for the paint-shop and I hope to be able to finish painting before the masses start arriving from Sunday onwards.

CK

post-13142-0-20846500-1545316033_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-20846500-1545316033_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

As hoped, I have painted the signal and rigged the operating wires. All that remains is some judicious weathering and it will be ready for delivery to my club, the Southampton Model Railway Society, early in the new year.

Regards,

Chris 

post-13142-0-01021200-1545498390_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

• 3 weeks later...

I have applied some weathering to the SR signal that I have built for my club, the Southampton Model Railway Society (SMRS), and I shall deliver it tomorrow evening. The next project is the Up Main and Bay Home signal.

CK

post-13142-0-16220300-1546963906_thumb.jpg

• Like 8