Cwm Bach - A South Wales Branch Line

81A Oldoak

You just feel you re almost there don't you!

There area few layouts like this on the forum - Ramchester being one - Tonfanau Camp another and anything by Steve Fay. There are of course others.

In 4mm Waverley West always stood out for me not because it was true scale modelling but because the photos were so lifelike which had something to do with the lighting

Paul R

• 4 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, westerner said:

I hope that as my layout Blakeney progresses I can get somewhere near the standard you have reached on your layout.

Alan, 

You are very kind. My technique is to copy good colour photographs of the real thing, ensure all aspects of the scene are a uniform, harmonious style, fade or weather all colours, and take take my time. I like your weathered wagons, especially your GWR Toad.

Regards,

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, 81A Oldoak said:

My original weathering of 6437 suffered from a rather heavy-handed attack with an airbrush and has been polished away with T-Cut to give a more restrained finish.

All that remains is to acquire some suitable passengers, no more than three or four

From my own experiences and even looking the brilliant stuff by Martyn Welch, BR green seems much harder to weather convincingly than black - even the merest hint of weathering stands out whereas black responds well. Conversely green buffs up very nicely to a rich colour - although as you say that’s not often appropriate - so it may just be something to do with the way the colour responds to the dull finish. Edit to say that’s not meant to be a criticism of your stuff which is very good - just picking up on your comment!

For passengers, I find there are enough useable ones in the very cheap 1:50 sets available on eBay. Although I’m about to have my dad preserved by Modelu and popped into a b set!

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

From my own experiences and even looking the brilliant stuff by Martyn Welch, BR green seems much harder to weather convincingly than black - even the merest hint of weathering stands out whereas black responds well. Conversely green buffs up very nicely to a rich colour - although as you say that’s not often appropriate - so it may just be something to do with the way the colour responds to the dull finish. Edit to say that’s not meant to be a criticism of your stuff which is very good - just picking up on your comment!

For passengers, I find there are enough useable ones in the very cheap 1:50 sets available on eBay. Although I’m about to have my dad preserved by Modelu and popped into a b set!

Hal,

I think you are right about BR green. 6437 is the only green engine in my stud of BR steam locomotives. Generally, I prefer a weathered, but cared-for appearance on passenger engines where some attempt has been made to clean the more visible areas of the engine. The second photo shows 6437 after its first attempt at weathering several years ago. It is passable, but lacks sublety and detail. The other photo shows the result of the later polishing with T-Cut. The most annoying feature is the fogged-up cab spectacles, which happened during that first drive-by shooting with the airbrush and I suspect the only solution will be to remove and replace them with some suitable glazing material. My one piece of advice to all is to avoid so-called factory-applied, production-line weathering, which is almost always poor; weathering must be a customised, personal affair. 

CK

Lionheart 64XX weathered-001.jpg

6437_and_autocoach_at_Cwm_Bach_Lionheart__280819_2.jpg

• Like 14
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm hoping for a similar combo when Dapol 's next batch of auto trailers hits the shops.

Like you I do like the carmine and cream, which will eventually be twinned with a 14xx,  as the 64xx is destined to marry up with an A44 auto trailer, the kit of which I commissioned from Worsley Works......  I just need the time to build it!

I appreciate that work gets in the way of modelling, especially when you are a manufacturer, so it is always a great pleasure to see updates on both the Cwm Bach and Tonfanau Camp plus the Peppa saga.

I shall be there, slavering at the Minerva stand this coming Saturday (and Sunday) eager to find out what your major new announcement is, and to get an update on the 'Teddy Bear'.

Guest Isambarduk
53 minutes ago, 81A Oldoak said:

The most annoying feature is the fogged-up cab spectacles, ... I suspect the only solution will be to remove and replace them with some suitable glazing material

I can recommend real glass, easily cut from microscope slide cover slips with a carbide or diamond pointed scriber (I do this even with your excellent offerings!).

David

12 minutes ago, Isambarduk said:

I can recommend real glass, easily cut from microscope slide cover slips with a carbide or diamond pointed scriber (I do this even with your excellent offerings!).

David

Me being an awkward cuss, I double them up using superglue to get laminated glass..... they are still very thin, but much more resilient and lessnprone to breaking.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

22 hours ago, Isambarduk said:

David

Completely agree. I used this in my signal box models and with a diamond pointed scriber its easy to cut. If you get some diamond coated files too you can file the edges. I am going to use this glass in a Gresley coach which is under construction. 

Scribers and files readily available from that well know auction site at very reasonable rates

Paul R

• Informative/Useful 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/09/2019 at 23:26, keefr2 said:

Looks good Chris - can I ask how  you did the rivets? Impressed through on the reverse of the card or....?

Keith

Keith,

They were impressed from the rear of the plasticard with a vintage, wooden-handled bradawl.

Chris

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...

It seems to Victory week.  My conversion of a Minerva Kerr Stuart Victory 0-6-0T an RSH-esque loco continues to progress. This is a simple conversion involving little more than bits of plasticard cut to shape. The handwheel on the smokebox door came from spare Minerva Manning Wardle parts and the safety valves are from a box of Minerva Peckett E spares. The whistle was found in the general box of spares. The nameplates are Narrow Planet and carry the bardic name for the late William Abraham MP, a famous trade unionist and MP for the Rhondda, later Rhondda West constituencies for 35 years. The next jobs are to fit DCC sound and weathering.

Chris K

Victory_RSH_Conversion_8.jpg

Victory_RSH_Conversion_9.jpg

• Like 18
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1