Cwm Bach - A South Wales Branch Line

81A Oldoak

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, 81A Oldoak said:

The effect of heavy rainfall in the Welsh valleys.

Related to that, the new series of The Crown covers the Aberfan tragedy and is very well (respectfully) done, I thought. The opening scene of a typical Welsh terrace immediately reminded me of this layout for the 2 seconds or so it took me to guess what was coming.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 28/11/2019 at 13:01, 81A Oldoak said:

I have just delivered NICOLA, a weathered version of the recently released limited edition plain black Minerva RTR O gauge Manning Wardle K Class 0-6-0ST. The customer’s brief was for a worn, but not excessively dirty locomotive. The nameplates are Guilplates supplied by the customer. The driver is a ModelU figure painted by the talented Claudia Everett.

Chris K

Minerva MW Plain Black_NICOLA 1.jpg

Chris,

Can you remember what shade (or concoction) you used for the rust between the back two wheels?

47 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

Chris,

Can you remember what shade (or concoction) you used for the rust between the back two wheels?

The base colour for the chassis dirt is a blend of Humbrol enamels M33 Black, M62 Leather and M98 Chocolate. I apply it unthinned with a cheap brush. Sometimes I add a little talcum powder for texture. I finished the area between the centre and rear wheels with a MIG Light Rust Wash A.MIG.1004. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My latest Q&D RTR conversion transforms the new Minerva GWR OPEN A wagons into a match truck. It is diagram L22, which were converted from 5-plank open wagons. It is a simple job. Run some clean white spirit around the planked floor and leave for 40 to 60 seconds for the glue to soften, then carefully prize it out and place to one side. Turn over the wagon, unscrew the body and lift it off. Remove one of the ballast weights. Using white spirit again, remove the wagon ends and the door bumbers. Using a sharp knife I reduced the height of the sides and ends to one plank. Reassemble the sides and ends and reattach to the underframe. Replace the planked floor. Remove the redundant strapping on the sides and fill the door lines. Trim the tops of the strapping on the ends to a downward slope. Rub-down the tops of the planks. Add new strapping on the sides from plasticard and scribe new lines where the old strapping has been removed. Paint, apply decals and weather to taste. The waterslide decals are leftovers from a Slater's Coopercraft kit. I'll post a photo when it has been weathered.

Match Truck GWR L22 converted from Minerva OPEN A_painted.jpg

Match_Truck_GWR_L22_converted_from_Minerva_OPEN_A_unpainted.jpg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

Very nice too Chris, and a good use of the product.

May I ask, would we get a discount if we purchased and decided to chop half the new ( excellent wagons ) in half ? :lol:

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Chris,

To date most wagons have been done so a few variants can use the chassis and/or others tools which obviously makes economic sense.

I think you've stated before how many units have to sell to make a product viable? I'm still a bit surprised an r-t-r Toad hasn't appeared especially now several different GWR locos and wagons are available but I suppose in the event of duplication, there is no alternative spin off.

Edit- there is something very satisfying about conversions and sometimes just because you can (with apologies to Mallory!)

Edited by Hal Nail

1 hour ago, Hal Nail said:

Chris,

To date most wagons have been done so a few variants can use the chassis and/or others tools which obviously makes economic sense.

I think you've stated before how many units have to sell to make a product viable? I'm still a bit surprised an r-t-r Toad hasn't appeared especially now several different GWR locos and wagons are available but I suppose in the event of duplication, there is no alternative spin off.

Edit- there is something very satisfying about conversions and sometimes just because you can (with apologies to Mallory!)

Hal,

We are not infrequently asked "when is the Toad arriving?" So here is the exam question, which diagram would you recommend and why? 

Chris K

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 81A Oldoak said:

Hal,

We are not infrequently asked "when is the Toad arriving?" So here is the exam question, which diagram would you recommend and why? 

Chris K

The one that was later restricted to Liskeard, Looe and Menheniot but then my criteria may be different to yours :)

The are lots of subtle differences but I would suggest a 20T variant, something like an AA15 that was built in high numbers, straddled a decent era (1920s GWR to BR) and could be done in fitted or unfitted liveries. Though later diagrams had slightly different handrail arrangements, springs, buffers, additional strapping etc, I suspect if you look into any apparently standard vehicle in enough detail that always applies and that "basic" design probably covers the biggest potential market. 

Railtec do shed allocation transfers and tailored BR markings already so something could perhaps be done there. I realise leaving it blank puts some off and doing  multiple versions adds cost, so a decision there.

I'd have thought it was a safer bet than a SR brake van - so perhaps actually the exam question is did that sell?!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Chris lots of good stuff smashing weathering. I do like the panner and autotrailer. For me modelling an earlier era the choice was a railmotor never expected to see one full size.

As far as the Toad goes I think you're on thin ice there. Whatever one you choose there will be howls of protest from those wanting something different. The big divide I think is 13ft WB 20ft long which suits earlier days and 16ft WB and 24ft long which suits later days. The AA15 is probably as good a compromise as any.

Don

• Like 1
  • Agree 1