Cwm Bach - A South Wales Branch Line

81A Oldoak

I'm a reinsurance broker, albeit part-time these days. It's the tedium rather than the length of the job that's more likely to be the cause of death.

I think I might just hide the vertical join with a drainpipe.

Drainpipe? There's not going to be roof on the top of the wall is there? You might have a problem justifying a drainpipe. I'd put in some buttresses - give you the chance for some nice detail work around the tops with any parapet stones you might have.

As you can see from this scintillating photograph, I have finally got around to installing the upper storage siding for the colliery branch today so Cwm Bach is fully operational at last. I will probably install Lincs automatic couplings on the wagons and locos involved in the movement and exchanging of the coal wagons. I also added a guard to one of my brake vans.

I will try to create the mould for the retaining rall at the weekend.

post-13142-0-14811700-1411417214_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-54653100-1411417445_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Now you can enjoy the fruits of your labour I bet it could be fun.

Don

I hope so! I have two local 4mm scale modellers who are contemplating moving to 7mm scale visiting the week after next.

There's that guard viewing the retreating rails. 

Some of which is still sans ballast!

Ixion Hudswell Clarks and Fowlers at the ready then!!  What better way to show the unwashed the true modelling path?

They were admiring the Hudswell Clarke and Fowler in the display cabinet at AC Models in Eastleigh. Clive Osborne, one of the proprietors, pointed to me and told them I was one of the owners of Ixion. We may get some sales, but I am more interested in the greater good and feel the same about converting someone from a small scale to 7mm scale as the Gospel according to Saint Luke, 15th Chapter, 7th Verse feels about a repentant sinner.  

• Like 4

They were admiring the Hudswell Clarke and Fowler in the display cabinet at AC Models in Eastleigh. Clive Osborne, one of the proprietors, pointed to me and told them I was one of the owners of Ixion. We may get some sales, but I am more interested in the greater good and feel the same about converting someone from a small scale to 7mm scale as the Gospel according to Saint Luke, 15th Chapter, 7th Verse feels about a repentant sinner.

My late father, a Priest and a keen O gauge modeller in his youth might have agreed with you!

• Like 1

There has been an outbreak of kursundschweren in the vicinity of Cwm Bach. I have dropped my Peco Toad brake van and the footboards have broken and fallen off. I'll probably replace them with some made of brass. It also gives me an incentive to finish my Parkside Toad kit.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Wills joins... Butt up two ends, apply copious amounts of strong solvent to the joint. When softened push together a little more and liquid plastic oozes out. Use the liquid solventy plastic to merge the blocks and take advantage of the soft base to create joins. Leave to set hard. Clean up joints and blocks with various pointy tools.

Been using the method for years and it doesn't take long. Some practice needed to work out just how much solvent to use...

• Like 3

Wills joins... Butt up two ends, apply copious amounts of strong solvent to the joint. When softened push together a little more and liquid plastic oozes out. Use the liquid solventy plastic to merge the blocks and take advantage of the soft base to create joins. Leave to set hard. Clean up joints and blocks with various pointy tools.

Been using the method for years and it doesn't take long. Some practice needed to work out just how much solvent to use...

I used to use that method when assembling the fuselages and engine nacelles on model aircraft kits when I had my occasional bursts of interest in RAF jet aircraft and Fleet Arm Arm aircraft. Sometimes I would make a gooey filler using sprue and liquid polystyrene cement, usually when the tube of filler had gone off.

• Like 1

Ahhh Chris memories, memories when I served my time it was one of my task to make Perspex cement.   This required me to half fill a screw top jar with Perspex bits then top up with Acetone.  Give it an occasional stir leave over night and you got the most sticky, gloopy paint on stuff you could want.   I still remember that smell now and is probably part of the reason I need an inhaler from time to time.

Regards

One of the perils consequent upon completing the laying and wiring of track is to succomb to the temptation to play trainsbe distracted by the need to conduct a thorough and rigourous test by operating trains for an extended period. The photos show the completed storage and staging arrangements for Cwm Bach. Later today I will get my 56XX out and practice the exchanging of empty and full coal trains. I will probably fit Lincs couplings to the stock used for these movements.

I think I will make a tray to fit on the supporting beams under the sector plate that can be used to store spare rolling stock. The frames are 4" deep so there is sufficient headroom.

post-13142-0-58797200-1411633698_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-58818700-1411633701_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-78458700-1411633703_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

There has been an outbreak of kursundschweren in the vicinity of Cwm Bach. I have dropped my Peco Toad brake van and the footboards have broken and fallen off. I'll probably replace them with some made of brass. It also gives me an incentive to finish my Parkside Toad kit.

You don't need to drop them to break them - I am at the point where I think replacing the plastic bits of brakevan footboards during construction is the way forward

Chris

You don't need to drop them to break them - I am at the point where I think replacing the plastic bits of brakevan footboards during construction is the way forward

Chris

Yep, I built one of those Slater's SR 4W GUVs and their 20T BR goods brake - they are supposed to have plastic footboards glued to the brackets, which are lost-wax brass castings - what were they thinking? I made brass ones and soldered them on - bullet-proof. Some kit producers choose the most contrary materials for their kit parts.

Edited by chaz

Yep, I built one of those Slater's SR 4W GUVs and their 20T BR goods brake - they are supposed to have plastic footboards glued to the brackets, which are lost-wax brass castings - what were they thinking? I made brass ones and soldered them on - bullet-proof. Some kit producers choose the most contrary materials for their kit parts.

Yes, I've always thought the Slater's hybrid arrangment on its 20T brake van to be odd. To quote Winston Churchill's remark when introduced to a lady rejoicing in the name of "Bossom", "I see, neither one thing nor the other."

• RMweb Premium

I see PD&SWJR's 3rd law of 7mm modelling at work here. Stock rapidly expands to exceed the storage / running space available! So where's the Western then Chris?

Mmm, i've not built my fiddleyard yet...how does the PD&SWJR law apply?

By the time you have built the fiddleyard you have built or bought kits for more stock than it can hold.

Don

So then you decide to expand the fiddle yard, but, by the time that is done you have acquired even more stock and the new yard is too small to accomodate them all, so you decide to expand etc.......

Ian

I see PD&SWJR's 3rd law of 7mm modelling at work here. Stock rapidly expands to exceed the storage / running space available! So where's the Western then Chris?

In a box with the Hymek and soon to be joined by the Class 40. And then there is the growing pile of unbuilt kits for which Chris Basten of Dragon Models with his lovely selection of Cambrian and South Wales prototypes must largely bear responsibility.