Cwm Bach - A South Wales Branch Line

81A Oldoak

• RMweb Premium

I started work on the platform for Cwm Bach station today. It is a simple job made from 5mm Kappa board, which is easy to work and very light. The platform top will be edged with flagstones cut from thin card and the surface will be finished to represent old ashphalt, which is much more challenging than paving stones. The backscene is temporary as I am still trying to master software that will enable me to correct perspective and replace modern windows, doors and other appurtenances not appropriate to the 1950s and early 60s.

Coming along nicely Chris.

Just one very minor point if I may... IMO the white streaks on the wall look a little contrived and draw in the eye too much. I'd be inclined to either paint them out or knock the white back somewhat. Feel free to ignore.

I managed to squeeze a little time on Cwm Bach today doing some work on the station platform. I also painted over the water stains on the retaining wall as they were too distracting as some correspondents have observed. All will be quiet for the next few days as I have to do some day-job work in London.

post-13142-0-13015300-1422818745_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-93753000-1422818747_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

I have received three requests for details of some of my articles that have been published in the Railway Modeller. For interest and reference, I have compiled a list of all of my articles that have been published in various titles since my maiden article in the November 1992 edition of the Railway Modeller. The photos are all tall taken by me with the exceptions of the May 1995 edition, the prototype picture in Swansea by John Wiltshire (June 2004) and Abergwynfi by the late Michael Hale (May 2008).  I am missing a couple of editions of the RM, but will order back copies and one day I'll scan them all.

Re-reading some of the older articles, it is amusing to see how they have been overtaken by events. It was also a shame that Modelling Railways Illustrated and Rail Model Digest didn't succeed; I known that Iain Rice's style is not to everyone's taste, but his fertile imagination and layout ideas have provided much inspiration over the years.

1. RM Nov 92 – Building a period garage in 4mm scale.
  2. RM Mar 93 – Scratchbuilding a goods shed
  3. RM Jun 93 – Triumph in Tin – a scratchbuilt essay in Edwardian Ecclesiastical Austerity
  4. RM Dec 93 – A signal box for Abersoch
  5. RM Oct 94 - A shed for all Regions (scratch-building an engine shed in 4mm scale)
  6. RM May 95 – Railway of the Month “The Abersoch Extension”
  7. Modelling Railways Illustrated Jul 95 – Easy-Bake Drewry Diesel – marrying the Dapol kit to the Bachmann chassis
  8. RM Nov 95 – A water tower for Abersoch
  9. RM Apr 96 – “A pattern for islands” – scratch-building an island platform station building
  10. RM Jan 97 -  Restoring Classic Cars – 4mm scale cars for the 1960s
  11. RM May 97 – A scratch-built footbridge
  12. RM Oct 97 – A large Prairie for Abersoch – marrying the Dapol kit to a Bachmann Chassis
  13. RM Nov 98 – Boduan Junction
  14. RM May 99 – Branch line crossing in the 1990s – photographic survey of an East Anglian level crossing
  15. RM Jul 99 – A brush with Gauge O
  16. Rail Model Digest 5 – Survey of Moreton-in-the-Marsh
  17. RM Apr 00 – “On the Right Track” – constructing a 7mm scale turnout from PECO components
  18. RM Apr 01 – Multi-media – Kit-built GWR 2021 pannier-tank locomotive in 7mm scale
  19. RM May 03 – Welsh Special – Building the JM GWR 56XX in O Gauge
  20. RM Nov 03 – GWR B Set in 7mm scale
  21. RM Jun 04 – Inspiration – a single photograph provides modelling inspiration for any scale
  22. RM Mar 05 – Bridging the Gap – scenic modeling
  23. RM Dec 05 – Abersoch Mark 2 – The Cambrian Coast Line in 4mm scale
  24. RM Dec 06 – “Victory” – a Kerr Stuart Industrial locomotive in 7mm scale
  25. RM May 07 – “A Pair of Pecketts” – Small Saddle-tanks in 7mm scale
  26. RM Dec 07 – “Humble Functionaries” – Open Wagons in O Gauge
  27. RM Feb 08 – Cwm Bach Signal Box – scratchbuilt in 7mm scale
  28. RM May 08 – Cwm Bach Station – scratchbuilt in 7mm scale

I have enjoyed reading nearly all of your articles, the remainder, sadly, I didnt have sight of - thanks for Posting the list Chris, I shall keep a weather eye open for those I have not yet seen.

I didnt get to read your survey on Morton-in-Marsh (noticed Mr. Portillo was there in the TV series last week) - I would love to be able to fit in Morton-in-Marsh dairy on Down Ampney (alas I dont think space will allow such though). I have photographed the dairy in more recent times.

Cwm Bach seems to be progressing wonderfully well too.

Kindest,

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

I shall be arranging an interview with the manager of Lloyds Bank in Chandler's Ford at  which I will ask him to tone down the white staining so that it appears more realistic.

You could alert Prince Charles to an unpolished gem of 1960's architecture too!

Hi Chris,

You may find these pages interesting

http://tilleryonline.myfreeforum.org/ftopic3157-0-asc-30.php

I finished my schooling in the Abertillery area, and I found these - which should be right up your street.....

Some good inspiration there Giles. The Valleys are a good source of unprotypically steep streets and roads.

I have been experimenting with methods to finish the top surface of Cwm Bach's station platform. I built a small section of platform to conduct the experiments and the photos illustrate the steps. The flagstones for the edge of the platform were drawn as a table in Microsoft Word and shaded grey. They were then printed on to a sheet of thin white card and an A4 sized self-adhesive label. I thought the label would save time by not having to apply glue, but the adhesive on the label was not strong enough to make a fast joint as can be seen in the second photo. The label was abandoned in favour of the thin card in photo 3. The flagstones took longer to apply, but the extra thickness of the card also proved to be useful later in the process.

Next I assessed the effectiveness of the printed colur of the flagstones and was not impressed as they looked textureless. I wanted a concrete finish, a substance that I have always had difficulty simulating, but in a serendipitous moment in AC Models in Eastleigh I discovered Woodland Scenics "Top Coat" concrete paint (ST1454). It is a thick, water soluble paint that dries with a convincing texture that can be smoothed. I found the colour convincing so succesfully negotiated the vending of said product. Photo 4 shows the painted flagstones comapred with the painted versions.

The next step was to reproduce an ashpalt surface. I considered two alternatives viz enamel paint of a suitable colour mixed wirth talcum powder, which I have used successfully in a previous incarnation to represent concrete rendered walls in the ridiculously small scale of 4mm to the foot or using painted "wet-and-dry" abrasive paper. I opted for the latter using paper acquired in packs of 16 sheets from Poundland for the price of, er, £1 per pack. I painted it with a suitable shade of grey and photo 5 shows the clean (ex-works?) platform surface. I considered the Woodland Scenics Asphalt Top Coat paint, but it was far too dark. Twas not until later in a Homer Simpson moment that I realised  I could have mixed it with the concrete paint to come up with a more suitable lighter shade of grey.

The best part was the weathering. By rubbing away at the surface of the wet-and-dry I found I could represent patches where the ashphalt had worn smooth and if I rubbed longer I could represent patches where the ashphalt had come away to reveal old layers beneath. The flagstones were weathered with some Mig "Russian Earth" powder. Finally, I applied some static grass to small applications of glue using  the highly sophisticated Noch puffer bottle. I'm quite pleased with the results and all that remains to be done is to apply this treatment to the full 54 inches of the platform.

post-13142-0-88287800-1423327907_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-00430500-1423327937_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-86454200-1423327960_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-55543600-1423327988_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-51483000-1423328015_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-10170400-1423328035_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-63669800-1423328037_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-41733200-1423328042_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

I shall be arranging an interview with the manager of Lloyds Bank in Chandler's Ford at  which I will ask him to tone down the white staining so that it appears more realistic.

Oh dear, I suspect they have water issues on a flat roof.

This one is near Stoke-on-Trent:

These days, although % should be easier to read, having grown up with signs with a ratio on them, I find that the old ratio system is easier to visualise.

One thing that baffles me, is that in eg TV documentaries (even UK based ones), many programmes report in KPH and Metres etc, even when referring to eg. a Battle of Britain Spitfire (which was built in Feet, Inches and speed measured in Knots and MPH), correct me if I am wrong but we still use MPH and MPG in the UK and drive on the correct side of the road too..so why do the 'repeaters' insist on trying to decimalise us yet further?

Back on topic now - cracking work Chris.

ATVB

CME

These days, although % should be easier to read, having grown up with signs with a ratio on them, I find that the old ratio system is easier to visualise.

One thing that baffles me, is that in eg TV documentaries (even UK based ones), many programmes report in KPH and Metres etc, even when referring to eg. a Battle of Britain Spitfire (which was built in Feet, Inches and speed measured in Knots and MPH), correct me if I am wrong but we still use MPH and MPG in the UK and drive on the correct side of the road too..so why do the 'repeaters' insist on trying to decimalise us yet further?

ATVB

CME

Probably because imperial units haven't been taught in schools for a long time and a large proportion of the population are more au fait with metric units. Not everyone are wrinklies like us!

In high school (finished 2003) the woodworking shops and metalworking shops were mostly equipped with imperial equipment so we were taught all the basic imperial metric conversions. Imperial works for many things, especially when you are making models of items built to imperial measurements!

In Australia we are mostly metric, we talk about how many litres of fuel it takes to drive 100km.

ATVB

CME

We in model railways have, of course, long had a foot in both camps viz 7 millimetres to the foot.

• Like 1

Probably because imperial units haven't been taught in schools for a long time and a large proportion of the population are more au fait with metric units. Not everyone are wrinklies like us!

I realise that, but, in the UK we still use the measures of 'Miles', MPH and MPG, these measures, which also inc 'Feet' and 'Inches', were about when eg Spitfires were built - in two world wars we fought off anything to do with the EU new world order power-base (inc their philosophies and systems) - so therefore our basic, traditional measures should still apply now - despite what TV producers/directors think/do. We still refer to the measurement of 'Cubits' when speaking of the Egyptians and their achievements/work...I am an open minded chap and yet I see the erosion of 'UK PLC' as quite insidious. WW1 was mildly esoteric in it's causes but was mainly about empire building and trade (business), WWII was mildly about empire building yet mainly about a battle of esoteric forces. Of course these days big business and war go hand in glove together and I suspect that big business, with conglomeration, rules many a government, behind the scenes, these days too - as we are forced to accept a one world, new world, order.

In high school (finished 2003) the woodworking shops and metalworking shops were mostly equipped with imperial equipment so we were taught all the basic imperial metric conversions. Imperial works for many things, especially when you are making models of items built to imperial measurements!

In Australia we are mostly metric, we talk about how many litres of fuel it takes to drive 100km.

I like to use both types of measuring system as appropriate and accordingly too.

We in model railways have, of course, long had a foot in both camps viz 7 millimetres to the foot.

I agree Chris, whichever is easiest and most appropriate.

Whilst working I used both imperial and metric, it enabled me to remember more dimensions. But I always had to show the aprentice carpenter the imperial measurement. He never could understand how you could cut a sheet of ply etc to 4 feet by 450 millimeters.

Computer racks are 19" wide (mostly) by 600mm long, by so many "U" deep...

I grew up with feet, stones, and bushels, studied engineering at university (with "slugs" - it's a unit of mass - http://units.wikia.com/wiki/Slug- no, really) and despite loving the technology of just about everything mechanical from chariots & ballistae henceforth, I cannot imagine why anyone would put themselves through the hassle & misery of trying to measure or specify anything in anything other than the metric system. It's consistent, it's logical and it's easier!

But I do like a pint...

:)

Simon