Cwm Bach - A South Wales Branch Line

81A Oldoak

Too heavy? Can I suggest you investigate plywood as a much lighter alternative? I'd be more than happy to give you a hand after next weekend - until then I will be busy with a few finishing touches to DG for Basingstoke (including one of the excellent Ixion Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0ST locos).

Chaz

Thanks for the offer Chaz. The problem with the old-new boards was the surface, which is 12mm ply. However, they don't fit the site I intend to use so a new build is necessary. I'll hold back for a week so you can have a look at the situation. I confess that building baseboards and track ballasting are my most loathed tasks.

Chris

Thanks for the offer Chaz. The problem with the old-new boards was the surface, which is 12mm ply. However, they don't fit the site I intend to use so a new build is necessary. I'll hold back for a week so you can have a look at the situation. I confess that building baseboards and track ballasting are my most loathed tasks.

Chris

Well now, your luck's in, as I like making baseboards! We can meet up during the week after the Basingstoke show and discuss the job. I don't even mind ballasting, it can be quite restful and never takes as long as you think it's going to. Peter and I ballasted Dock Green twice. The first time was far too ECML but then we added a sand topping that down graded the effect to neglected backwater status....

Chaz

Chris, Chaz's offer seems like a plan and his pre-layout boards do look sublime.

Regards

Barnaby,

Chaz is a skilled all-rounder as Dock Green and Furness Valley show. I don't need anything as sophisticated as the Dock Green boards, which are very impressive, as my layout needs only to be transportable in the most exceptional circumstances such as moving house. My boards will be 5' long to minimise the need for crossing joints, but I do want to keep the weight down. Chaz and I only live about 4 miles apart so we meet quite often to exchange ideas and help each other out. It is a most fruitful friendship and Chaz's lovely wife Sue taught art to our eldest daughter at Thornden School some years ago, which adds another dimension. Overall, I have met some charming people and made some good friends whether they be model-makers, enthusiasts or Ixion retailers as a result of 0 Gauge. Now, time to go into the garage to do something as it has stopped raining.

Regards,

Chris

After a protracted period of demolition work on Boduan Junction, I have at last started construction of Cwm Bach's foundations. What you see here in these fantastically artistic rather prosaic photos is a simple underframe that will support the main boards. All I have done is screw two long battens to the brackets that supported the Boduan Junction baseboards. Perhaps of more interest is the other stuff that can be seen. The large brown boxes contain Ixion Hudswell Clarke tank locos and Fowler diesels, which seem to be taking over.  The next job will be to build the actual layout frames. All rather dull really, but at least it is progress.

post-13142-0-37734900-1394137902_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-33958700-1394137905_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-30394200-1394137908_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Yes Chris I too like to see the initial birth of a layout, it looks l o n g and I'm a bit worried you will have to climb in through the window to gain access.  :scratchhead:

Regards

Edited by Barnaby

Good progress Chris, although I can't say I'm impressed by your spirit level.... :jester:

I've actually got one of those laser thingy's that I used to level the frame. I've also got a big spirit level somewhere that's about 4' long. 

Yes Chris I too like to see the initial birth of a layout, it looks l o n g and I'm a bit worried you will have to climb in through the window to gain access.  :scratchhead:

Regards

Barnaby,

The back door has not been opened since 1993 as it has always been blocked by a layout. 

Chris

I'm more worried about the bottle of meths with a "refreshments" sign below it!

Great progress Chris. You'll have a fleet of Fowlers running on there soon.

Well Kev, I do like to be a good host who caters for all tastes and one simply never knows who might drop by.

I have loosely laid some hardboard sheets on the framework that I posted the other day so that I can play around with the track plan. The layout is essentially the same as that with which I opened this forum. The main difference is the need to jig the colliery branch around the supporting pier, but I will still have the line climbing behind the signal box, which I think will be an attractive feature. I have also managed to fit in a new siding at the back of the layout that will serve a small loco depot for the industrials. You can see one of my Hudswell Clarkes and my Agenoria Victory class on the siding; the difference in size between these two locos is striking.

The exchange siding behind the station will be backed by a stone retaining wall. I am considering a footbridge over the colliery exchange siding from the platform to the notional low-relief street that will run at the top of the retaining wall – does anyone know where I can get a Kittle footbridge kit? I am also considering a platform on the colliery exchange siding that backs on to the “main line” platform for a miners’ paddy train. It would be a rather simple and decrepit wooden affair and offer scope for running a near derelict coach such as a Slater’s GWR clerestory.

Other items on display today include my 8750 0-6-0PT with a B Set built from Haywood Kits and my 56XX built from the late lamented JM range of kits. I couldn’t find my box of lamps so the locos are naked in that respect. I also need to make some typical South Wales target number boards. Note the irritating phenomenon of disappearing sleepers from some of the hand-built points; I have yet to find a satisfactory means of permanently securing slide chairs to rails.

So the concept is now reasonably firm in my mind. The next step is to discuss the procurement of timber and construction of the boards with my consultant.

post-13142-0-73474000-1394308307_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-36610000-1394308310_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-19483400-1394308313_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-88372400-1394308315_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-57334100-1394308318_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-93359000-1394308320_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-89078600-1394308323_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

......Hudswell Clarke......Agenoria Victory class.......the difference in size between these two locos is striking.

.......The next step is to discuss the procurement of timber and construction of the boards with my consultant.

It certainly is Chris. We had a similar experience yesterday when my Hudswell Clarke "Christine" drew up alongside a J50 tank on Dock Green. These are great hulking brutes of machines, especially when seen alongside the Dinky little industrial. Incidentally I do like the weathering on your Hudswell Clarke, although I think the one-man crew of "Christine" is quite proud of "his" loco and will be keeping it quite clean.

Consultant? Crikey! Is this promotion? Do I get a badge?

Chaz