Cwm Bach - A South Wales Branch Line

81A Oldoak

• RMweb Gold

Paul,

Thank you for the very kind remarks. The next stage on the Pagoda is to add some internal detail and weather it. Meanwhile, I have a couple of signals to build for the club layout - and to think I was taught in the Army never to volunteer for anything!

Regards,

Chris

I once caught out a complete platoon using that method.

I need volunteers not to go on a 5 mile run this afternoon.

Nobody volunteered!

• RMweb Gold

I’m sure they referred to you in affectionate terms thereafter

:)

Simon

They did!

They also listened very carefully to further such briefings.

Back on track, I can see myself needing one of those pagoda buildings for the halt i'm currently building.

"What", you may well ask "is that and why is Chris Klein building it?" Well, for those of you who lead sheltered lives, it is a Southern Railway stop signal. Last year I joined the Southampton Model Railway Society and the 0 gauge test track is to be enhanced with an SR station. Disregarding all of my army experience about never volunteering for anything, I stepped forward and offered to build a couple of upper quadrant signals. This is the first. It is a blend of scratchbuilt and commercial parts and I am enjoying the project. Ladder and landing need to go on next. I'll post a photo when it is painted.

Regards,

Chris

• Like 5

"What", you may well ask "is that and why is Chris Klein building it?" Well, for those of you who lead sheltered lives, it is a Southern Railway stop signal. Last year I joined the Southampton Model Railway Society and the 0 gauge test track is to be enhanced with an SR station. Disregarding all of my army experience about never volunteering for anything, I stepped forward and offered to build a couple of upper quadrant signals. This is the first. It is a blend of scratchbuilt and commercial parts and I am enjoying the project. Ladder and landing need to go on next. I'll post a photo when it is painted.I think this is what all of those management gurus and motivational speakers would describe as getting out of one's comfort zone. 

Regards,

Chris

post-13142-0-43214500-1528296671_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

The alien signal is ready for delivery to the Southampton MRS layout on Wednesday. It has taken longer to build than my usual GWR lower quadrant fare and Jon Fitness need have no fears about competition as I would starve at my pace of work.

Regards,m

CK

post-13142-0-63457900-1528748389_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Many thanks..

Isn't there another error in the picture at the top of page 679 (in addition to the one mentioned in the caption)? The autocoach has its driving end next to the locomotive, which means that the blind end is at the other end, so it cannot be working as an auto-train as described in the caption.

Isn't there another error in the picture at the top of page 679 (in addition to the one mentioned in the caption)? The autocoach has its driving end next to the locomotive, which means that the blind end is at the other end, so it cannot be working as an auto-train as described in the caption.

Quite right. To be honest, the DCC decoder (this is the second one) in the 64XX is on the way out so I rarely run this ensemble. The comment about the loco facing the wrong way is also correct, but I positioned it this way round in order to capture the  front end. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Quite right. To be honest, the DCC decoder (this is the second one) in the 64XX is on the way out so I rarely run this ensemble. The comment about the loco facing the wrong way is also correct, but I positioned it this way round in order to capture the  front end. 

I noticed the error, too.

What a shame the caption wasn't used to make the point that sometimes the autogear wasn't working, and sometimes (especially if "officialdom" was about) the coaches had to be run round just as if they were not fitted up for pull-push operation.

An opportunity missed to share a little nugget of information.

• Like 2

I noticed the error, too.

What a shame the caption wasn't used to make the point that sometimes the autogear wasn't working, and sometimes (especially if "officialdom" was about) the coaches had to be run round just as if they were not fitted up for pull-push operation.

An opportunity missed to share a little nugget of information.

Never mind. Worse things have happened at sea. 

5661 at work on the Southampton Model Railway Society's 0 test track last night. I recently replaced an elderly ESU decoder with the Minerva 57XX DCC sound decoder. I built the loco from the J&M kit purchased from the long defunct "Home of O Gauge". Propulsion is provided by a Canon/ABC motor and/gearbox combination.

The first take of this film had to be scrapped because of background conversation that would have been worthy of King Henry V's archers at the Battle of Agincourt.

https://www.facebook.com/christopher.klein.1804/videos/10217197560636251/

• Like 1

The first take of this film had to be scrapped because of background conversation that would have been worthy of King Henry V's archers at the Battle of Agincourt.

https://www.facebook.com/christopher.klein.1804/videos/10217197560636251/

I presume you don't mean the Shakespearean version either! Can't tell anything from here, mind, as the link just throws up a "content not available" message. Perhaps you tried to use the wrong one after all!

".....We few, we happy few,

We band of brothers.

For he to-day that models in 'O' gauge with me

Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,

This scale shall gentle his condition;

And gentlemen in England now a-bed

Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,

And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks

That modelled with us in 7mm scale !....".

Edited by br2975
  • Like 3

I presume you don't mean the Shakespearean version either! Can't tell anything from here, mind, as the link just throws up a "content not available" message. Perhaps you tried to use the wrong one after all!

I refer to a well-used expletive derived from the digital sign English long-bow archers used to taunt their French foes. 

• Like 1

I refer to a well-used expletive derived from the digital sign English long-bow archers used to taunt their French foes.

I fear the gesture to which you refer and it's origins may be lost upon the more genteel members of RMweb.

In addition, an alleged majority of the bowmen who secured victory at Crecy and Agincourt were Welsh, as was King Harry himself.

Llantrisant, where I shall be assisting with a Beaver Pack hike tomorrow, was the spiritual home of Welsh longbowmen.

Keep up the good work Chris.

Edited by br2975
  • Like 4

I fear the gesture to which you refer and it's origins may be lost upon the more genteel members of RMweb.

That would be the one the mercenary Welsh archers used to demonstrate they still had the fingers required to draw the string of their longbows back?

I also get the error message on Faceache Chris...

Keith

• Like 1