Cwm Bach - A South Wales Branch Line

81A Oldoak

I fear the gesture to which you refer and it's origins may be lost upon the more genteel members of RMweb.

In addition, an alleged majority of the bowmen who secured victory at Crecy and Agincourt were Welsh, as was King Harry himself.

Llantrisant, where I shall be assisting with a Beaver Pack hike tomorrow, was the spiritual home of Welsh longbowmen.

Keep up the good work Chris.

Presumably you won’t be teaching them...

Experience suggests they already know...

Best

Simon

• Like 3

Ironic that in the new MRJ there is not only your article about Cwm Bach but also an S4 layout of the same name offered for sale.

Jonathan

Gosh, I didn't know it had appeared in MRJ; that's rather like having a letter published in The Times. I've been on holiday abroad for a month so haven't seen it. All I know is that I sent Jerry Clifford copy and photos a few months ago. I shall have to get a copy.

Chris

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Gosh, I didn't know it had appeared in MRJ; that's rather like having a letter published in The Times. I've been on holiday abroad for a month so haven't seen it. All I know is that I sent Jerry Clifford copy and photos a few months ago. I shall have to get a copy.

Chris

I saw you in two articles this month glancing in Smiths - one along the lines of “the editor catches up with Minerva’s founder” or similar which I don’t think was either of the mags mentioned!

I saw you in two articles this month glancing in Smiths - one along the lines of “the editor catches up with Minerva’s founder” or similar which I don’t think was either of the mags mentioned!

That was Hornby Magazine. 

Chris

Picked up a copy of edition 264 this morning. 

post-13142-0-35956400-1532086535_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Enjoyed that article too Chris! You're becoming quite the media celebrity ;)

Thank you. The MRJ article is the 31st I have had published. The first was in the November 1992 edition of the Railway Modeller. 

Regards,

CK

• Like 6

Nice work Chris. It is good to see a nice model appealing to lets of magazine editors.

Rod

Rod,

Perhaps it is time to give a Ramchester an outing in the paper press? It's a first class layout and in my opinion would provide much inspiration to others as it does to me.

Regards,

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

I have installed a little oil refuelling tank to service Cwm Bach Colliery's Fowler 0-4-0DM KITCHENER. It is based on one at Kilmersdon Coliery in Somerset as depicted in Alan Jarvis's 1971 photograph. The tank was knocked up from bits an old Ratio 4mm scale kit (Code 530), plasticard pillars and electrical wire for the hose. The loco is by Ixion and is fitted with the excellent bespoke Fowler ZIMO sound decoder from Paul Martin at EDM Models.

Regards,

CK

post-13142-0-77489600-1533746035_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-31485600-1533746060_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-04150700-1533746080_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-51917300-1533746099_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-57279900-1533746114_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-33370400-1533746138_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

Nicely observed Chris, fits in extremely well.

Going off at a complete tangent......

I saw this the other evening whilst out walking with my grandson

post-20303-0-14419300-1533751276_thumb.jpg

Is there something that you're not telling us ?

Property merger ???  :jester:

Grahame

• Like 2

Chris,

Hate to be picky, but is your fuel tank actually higher than the filler on the loco?

I just examined my Fowler and can’t actually find a fuel filler, and I’ve never had anything to do with the prototype, so I simply don’t know. Where is the fuel tank on the loco?

Just in case, the Ffestiniog used a hand pump (and the efforts of a trainee fireman) to fill the tenders.

Best

Simon

Chris,

Hate to be picky, but is your fuel tank actually higher than the filler on the loco?

I just examined my Fowler and can’t actually find a fuel filler, and I’ve never had anything to do with the prototype, so I simply don’t know. Where is the fuel tank on the loco?

Just in case, the Ffestiniog used a hand pump (and the efforts of a trainee fireman) to fill the tenders.

Best

Simon

Simon,

It is a smallish box in side the back of the cab. 

Chris

C

• Like 2

In the workshop early today to progress the weathering of 6724, a Minerva riveted 57XX 0-6-0PT. In the background is Neil Parkhouse's excellent book "The Forest of Dean Railways and the Severn Railway Bridge" published by Lightmoor Press. It contains many pictures of 57XX/8750, 64XX and 16XX panniers in various states of filthiness in 1960s. I always use prototype photos when I am building and finishing models: paint what you see, not what you think you know. Now, I must prepare for a conference call with a client to discuss the applicability of corporate bond default rates as a proxy for reinsurance counterparty credit risk in risk-based capital models.

Regards,

CK

post-13142-0-07266900-1533887327_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

Nicely observed Chris, fits in extremely well.

Going off at a complete tangent......

I saw this the other evening whilst out walking with my grandson

attachicon.gifIMG_4699.jpg

Is there something that you're not telling us ?

Property merger ???  :jester:

Grahame

Crikey where do you get that super long static grass

Paul R

Weathering completed, 6724 of 86B Newport Pill shed in typically filthy condition has wandered up the valley to Cwm Bach. She was one of the contracted-out batch of 57XX panniers built by Bagnall of Stoke and the maker's plate can be seen on the front splasher. Loco by Minerva, number and maker's plates by Narrow Planet, crew by ModelU, DCC sound unit by ZIMO.

CK

P.S. I should have fitted a lamp, but was too weary from reading the rancorous exchanges on the Gauge O Guild Forum about hotel expenses for Guild officers at Telford Guildex. 

post-13142-0-22378300-1534014939_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-12960800-1534014951_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-97156400-1534014962_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-70313800-1534014973_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-99541800-1534014986_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-40155600-1534015000_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-65762200-1534015016_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-26483500-1534015027_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

Weathering completed, 6724 of 86B Newport Pill shed in typically filthy condition has wandered up the valley to Cwm Bach. She was one of the contracted-out batch of 57XX panniers built by Bagnall of Stoke and the maker's plate can be seen on the front splasher. Loco by Minerva, number and maker's plates by Narrow Planet, crew by ModelU, DCC sound unit by ZIMO.

CK

P.S. I should have fitted a lamp, but was too weary from reading the rancorous exchanges on the Gauge O Guild Forum about hotel expenses for Guild officers at Telford Guildex. 

I totally agree Re: the Guild exchanges lately, very tiresome. A locked room and dynamite spring to mind as a cure!!!!

I also agree with Ruston's comments, excellent weathering, well observed and some lovely touches. Just the hanging hosepipe out of the LH doorway now to finish her off ;)

Jinty ;)

• Like 1

Having jumped to the Guild Forum's defence not that long ago I'm beginning to have second thoughts about it and can certainly see your point Simon.  Unfortunately there is a tiny yet vociferous minority of Forum members who seem to enjoy acrimonious 'debates'. Perhaps they need to spend less time at the keyboard and more time at the workbench.  I still enjoy following the posts (and contributing) on most of the G0G forum but avoid the Guild Matters and Waiting Room sections where most of these rancorous exchanges seem to take place.

Ray.

I’m having a holiday from the Guild forum. I may reconsider, post Telford.

Best

Simon

Unfortunately I have to agree and I too am having a "holiday" following acrimonious remarks to a simple genuine request for help. Hey ho !

Grahame