Cwm Bach - A South Wales Branch Line

81A Oldoak

Hi Chris.

How the heck do you find time to develop a range of superb models for us to admire (and purchase) as well as moving forward on not one layout but two layouts plus making things for Southampton club layout?

Superb work Chris.

Rod

Well Rod, I gave up working as a reinsurance broker in The City just over two years ago so that helps, though eight grandchildren occupies some of the released time. Nevertheless, like most things in life there are busy and slack times. Chris Basten and I are in the calm before the storm so to speak because when the first batch of Manning Wardles arrives next month we will have to work our socks off to get the advance orders out to customers quickly. There won't be too much modelling happening then. We will also be making some announcements during the course of the year so stay tuned to this frequency.

Best regards as ever,

Chris

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

It has been a long time coming, but I have completed a JLTRT ex-GWR FRUIT D van to ex-works condition. Weathering is next on the agenda. The kit suffered from the usual JLTRT defects of incorrectly spaced holed for the buffers and poor whitemetal castings that required much fettling to get them into shape. The roof shell vents were badly flashed and I will probably replace them with something better in due course and use the redundant vents as scale cabbages in a railway worker's allotment. Hopefully, Laurie will sort this out if and when he releases it under the MM1 brand.

CK

post-13142-0-59860300-1548416135_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-67931300-1548416156_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

• 3 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, JelleJan said:

That photo features another handrail on the other side of the smoke box, also visible on this photo:

https://thetransportlibrary.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=38509

Can it still be added to your great model?

Kind regards, Jelle Jan

Thank you. I probably could fit the other handrail, but this one seems to have been peripatetic. These "new" photos certainly illustrates the importance of working from dated photographs. I will probably replace the lamp-iron on the smoke-box door as the one I have fitted doesn't look right. 

Regards,

CK

• Like 1

On 13/02/2019 at 16:11, 81A Oldoak said:

I have got 667 to the ex-Works stage. More work is needed to convert the Minerva Victory to 667 rather than 666, most notably the removal of the handrail on the smokebox door and the installation of a new handrail on the smokebox just in front and left of the chimney. I also replaced the factory filler caps with some spares from a Minerva GWR 57XX 0-6-0PT. I have not fitted a BR numberplate or shedcode plate on the smokebox door because they are missing on the only two photos I have of 667 in BR days. I am also trying to discover if 667 was fitted with the bunker brackets for holding fire-irons. Weathering next.

Regards,

Chris

Definitely had fire iron brackets on the bunker, complete with chain but no bucket:

IMG_0721.PNG

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Penrhos1920 said:

Definitely had fire iron brackets on the bunker, complete with chain but no bucket:

IMG_0721.PNG

Another excellent find. I have surplus fire-iron brackets from Minerva 57XX pannier spares. This photo also reveals a hatch in the rear spectacle plate  so that and the pipework behind the cab step will be added. I will finish this loco, promise. 

CK

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Chris, 

As a relative newcomer I've followed this thread and your Tonfanau thread with great interest and found much inspiration in both. Hope you don't mind a beginner's question but can I ask you to expand on the method and paint colours used on Tonfanau signalbox's brickwork? I also have the Peco box to adapt, to a South Gloucestershire style for my railway 'Dill's Bridge'. 

19 hours ago, 9A Longsight said:

Hello Chris, 

As a relative newcomer I've followed this thread and your Tonfanau thread with great interest and found much inspiration in both. Hope you don't mind a beginner's question but can I ask you to expand on the method and paint colours used on Tonfanau signalbox's brickwork? I also have the Peco box to adapt, to a South Gloucestershire style for my railway 'Dill's Bridge'. 

Very simple.  I use Humbrol matt enamel paints. First, paint brickwork with a very pale grey and wipe off leaving grey paint in the pointing to represent mortar. Nrxt dry brush a suitable brick colour to pick out the bricks - Humbrol M70 is good. When set, pickout individual bricks with darker and lighter shades of the base brick colour using a fine brush. Finish when you are happy with result, which hopefully is before you are overcome with boredom.  Try to find and copy a photograph of the real thing. As a general rule, I lighten all colours to give a westhered and faded effect. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

4 hours ago, 81A Oldoak said:

Very simple.  I use Humbrol matt enamel paints. First, paint brickwork with a very pale grey and wipe off leaving grey paint in the pointing to represent mortar. Nrxt dry brush a suitable brick colour to pick out the bricks - Humbrol M70 is good. When set, pickout individual bricks with darker and lighter shades of the base brick colour using a fine brush. Finish when you are happy with result, which hopefully is before you are overcome with boredom.  Try to find and copy a photograph of the real thing. As a general rule, I lighten all colours to give a westhered and faded effect. 

Thank you, that's very helpful. Probably sounds obvious to most readers but we're not all at the same point on the learning curve. I'll be following Tonfanau and Cwm Bach with interest, so many useful tips gained so far...

14 hours ago, 9A Longsight said:

Thank you, that's very helpful. Probably sounds obvious to most readers but we're not all at the same point on the learning curve. I'll be following Tonfanau and Cwm Bach with interest, so many useful tips gained so far...

Now that I am back home, here is a photo of a test strip showing the various stages of painting brickwork. 

Cwm_Bach_Signal_Box002.JPG

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

"Longsight" - you said, "we're not all at the same point on the learning curve".

we never will be - even with years of modelling under the belt, each of us has strengths and weaknesses, abilities and "areas for improvement".

It's part of what makes these fora so useful - interchange of advice, ideas, observation, criticism (constructive and well intentioned I hope) and suggestions

please don't be shy in asking questions!

best

Simon

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

Time for a quick pit-stop between sending out Minerva Manning Wardles.

Jones-the-Steam aboard the NCB's Cwm Bach Colliery Kerr Stuart Victory VICTORIA looks on with a mix of astonishment and bewilderment at this very rare visitor to Cwm Bach. Fresh from the factory, D8215 appears to have taken a wrong turn somewhere along the line. The Class 15 is a sound-fitted Little Loco Company model and is superb. 

Regards,

CK

8215_and_ViCTORIA__at_Cwm_Bach.jpg

• Like 10
  • Funny 1

19 hours ago, Simond said:

"Longsight" - you said, "we're not all at the same point on the learning curve".

we never will be - even with years of modelling under the belt, each of us has strengths and weaknesses, abilities and "areas for improvement".

It's part of what makes these fora so useful - interchange of advice, ideas, observation, criticism (constructive and well intentioned I hope) and suggestions

please don't be shy in asking questions!

best

Simon

Thanks Simon, I'm enjoying reading of other people's experiences and I'm sure I'll be back with more questions. I've just completed a double slip from C&L parts and if I'd discovered this forum earlier I would have taken a week off the build time! 

Best 

Mark 

• Like 4

• 1 month later...