Stirling Single BR numbers

Before I go any further, let me just say that I'm applying rule one here and yes I know this never even got close to happening.

This is really one for those out there who understand the LNER numbering and renumbering systems. I'm aiming to create in the near-ish future a BR liveried model of a Stirling Single, based on the Kitmaster kit. However, as I have no understanding of the LNER numbering system, could any of the RMweb fraternity suggest what numbers the class (or just No.1 if that makes it easier) would have gained if they'd survived into BR ownership.

Thanks 

Given that none of the X locos lasted long enough to be included in the 1946 renumbering you have a degree of freedom. One thought is that an express 4-2-2 may have been numbered after express 4-4-2 in which chase they would have been after 62820

Before I go any further, let me just say that I'm applying rule one here and yes I know this never even got close to happening.

This is really one for those out there who understand the LNER numbering and renumbering systems. I'm aiming to create in the near-ish future a BR liveried model of a Stirling Single, based on the Kitmaster kit. However, as I have no understanding of the LNER numbering system, could any of the RMweb fraternity suggest what numbers the class (or just No.1 if that makes it easier) would have gained if they'd survived into BR ownership.

Thanks 

Interesting project ;-)    Will it get express passenger blue or mixed traffic black, or...?

Bill

Thanks everyone, thats really helpful. I won't decide just yet what number to give it, but there's sound logic behind Bomags point that I could number it after the express atlantics.

To answer Bills question, It'll be in mixed traffic black, although that'll depend on whether I can find someone to fit the lining transfers as I'd just mess it up...

As a single wheeler, a Stirling Single would have been Class Xy, X5 being available after the GCR X4 4-2-2s.

As GNR classes tended to receive the lowest-numbered classes within each letter group, it's more likely that a surviving Stirling Single would have become class X1 and the other X classes numbered differently. However the X group was a bit of an oddball anyway - normally GCR classes came next after GNR but this wasn't the case for X - so in reality anything might have happened!

Edit: the other unusual thing about group X was that the tank engine classes came first with X1-X3. So X4 is possibly the most plausible class, the real X4 shifting down to X5

Archived