BRM - February 2014

SteveCole

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Here's a simple guide on how you can download a FREE sample edition of BRM Feb '14. Click here.

attachicon.gifBRM Feb FREE sample edition.jpg

Have a good weekend.

Steve

er yes, well, hmm - how do I download it for a Mac as having clicked on just about everything  which mentions it on teh links absolutely nothing seems to have happened and it definitely hasn't arrived in my downloads folder?

• RMweb Gold

With an equally out of scale screwdriver on the track......

Come and meet the out of scale team and the layout at the Stafford show on the 1st and2nd of February or the BRM Doncaster festival of modelling the following weekend. Don't be shy, please say hi.

Andy

I shall hopefully be braving Voyager travel northwards (and return) with the intention of visiting said show.  Unfortunately Mrs Stationmaster misunderstood my declaration of saying I was going to a model railway show in Stafford confusing it with one of her lavish bribery weekends away in order to attend Members' Day in the past, I think that misunderstanding has now been resolved, I hope.

My bribery to get to Stafford is taking her with me because she wants to see BCB in full glory - she saw it at Members' Day a couple of years back and has been following the articles and web threads. Well, the pix anyway.

And of many of the pix she's said "WOW!"

• RMweb Premium

I shall hopefully be braving Voyager travel northwards (and return) with the intention of visiting said show.  Unfortunately Mrs Stationmaster misunderstood my declaration of saying I was going to a model railway show in Stafford confusing it with one of her lavish bribery weekends away in order to attend Members' Day in the past, I think that misunderstanding has now been resolved, I hope.

The Stafford exhibition details free bus transfer from the station by vintage bus

Andy

Quite surprised to see a picture of my shop featured in the modelling supplement- Durran's "Britain's most northerly model shop"-.... thanks....The modelling side of things is pretty basic these days, being mainly Games Workshop and plastic kits and accessories, picture framing being the mainstay, and is really a sideline to encourage folk, and especially youngsters, to try making something with their hands. The railway trade was  given up some years ago, but an open welcome is given to any Webbers passing through to drop in for a chat - I can talk about trains any time  :senile: ...Oh, and the stonework does have a lovely honey sheen on a nice day .......

• RMweb Premium

Just flicked through my copy - fabulous!! Brilliant photography all round. Can't see the problem with the GTR layout - superb model. Great piece of historical observation - should end up in a good museum one day. Well done to the editorial team - keep this standard up whatever you do.

Ran through the whole gamut of operations to download the 'free magazine'.  Went to 'My Magazine' and, as with Stationmaster,  there's nothing there.

Not exactly a great temptation to go digital............................

• Administrators

Hi all,

Just to make you aware that we're running a Special Offer on our 12-issue Digital Subscription. The offer is open now and throughout this weekend only!

You can subscribe to BRM for 12-issues for just £19.99 - that's just £1.67 an issue. Go to: www.brmm.ag/BRMoffer

Steve

Lest it get swamped by BCB and the GTR there's another superb layout in this month's mag, Alan Price's 'Outwell'.

attachicon.gifOutwell_Feature8s.jpg

Certainly agree with that - having familiarised myself with the various books on the Wisbech & Upwell, the layout captures the atmosphere and accurately reflects the buildings around the prototype location.

Did the J70 tram that appears in one of the pictures begin life as the venerable K's kit?  There is a mention of building two Y6 tram locos, but no reference to this one in the text.

Hi,

Judging by the lack of posts on here it would seem that I am the only one still waiting for their subs. copy.

As I am not at home at the moment could someone please let me know the email address so that I can contact the appropriate department.

Thanks,

Steve.

Hi,

Judging by the lack of posts on here it would seem that I am the only one still waiting for their subs. copy.

As I am not at home at the moment could someone please let me know the email address so that I can contact the appropriate department.

Thanks,

Steve.

Steve

PM me your address and I'll get another copy out to you.

Regards

Richard

er yes, well, hmm - how do I download it for a Mac as having clicked on just about everything  which mentions it on teh links absolutely nothing seems to have happened and it definitely hasn't arrived in my downloads folder?

Ran through the whole gamut of operations to download the 'free magazine'.  Went to 'My Magazine' and, as with Stationmaster,  there's nothing there.

Not exactly a great temptation to go digital............................

Gents,

We'll look into it - was working fine the other day.

I don't want to sound impatient, but when is the March issue of BRM released digitally? I know its usually about this time of the month, I'm away tomorrow for a few weeks where I can't get internet so would have liked to download the last part of the build your first layout supplement before I go.

Of course if I miss it then no prob, can just download in a few weeks rather than worry about missing it in the shops, just would have been nice to get hold of it beforehand.

Thanks!

Certainly agree with that - having familiarised myself with the various books on the Wisbech & Upwell, the layout captures the atmosphere and accurately reflects the buildings around the prototype location.

Did the J70 tram that appears in one of the pictures begin life as the venerable K's kit?  There is a mention of building two Y6 tram locos, but no reference to this one in the text.

The two Y6 trams are scratch built using brass and plasticard. The J70 is I think a K's kit , I will check the next time I see it's owner.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it just me, or does anyone else find the theme of 'The Great Rain Robbery' rather distasteful, even if it was over 50 years ago now?  Let us hope they have at least avoided the temptation to have a cam-operated arm on one of the scale figures whacking the poor train driver repeatedly over the head with a scale-sized plastic baseball bat!  Those of us who were around at the time can surely see nothing in this diorama to get enthused about.

The precedent also appears somewhat dangerous to me. What next....a diorama showing cattle trains arriving at the ramp at you-know-where, with a scale etched brass 'Arbiet Macht Frei' sign in the background and populated by Airfix German military?

I'm all for realism, but in my view, model trains should emphasise the many positive aspects of our great railway tradition, not distasteful episodes which are best consigned to the darker pages of history. Poor show all round, IMO.

Don Mason

I have to agree with Don and the others who posted in this vein on the Great Train Robbery diorama.  I too found it distasteful and when I found that the diorama was appearing at the Milton Keynes exhibition this weekend, cancelled my trip to what is usually an excellent event.   

However, what really got my blood up in the latest issue was John Emerson's attempt at justifying the model and the inclusion in the magazine in his Editorial and then his childish dismissal of a reader's letter in which he had complained about the feature and advised he had cancelled his subscription to the magazine! 

I would suggest that as the Editor of BRM Mr Emerson should reassess his attitude towards his readers' views.  Upsetting them to the extent of losing their custom does not appear to be a good marketing ploy to my mind!

• Administrators

I hadn't had the chance to see the Great Train Robbery until last weekend although I knew several people who had. I had been in some of the editorial meetings where the layout and its appearance in BRM was discussed. Everyone appreciated that it would be a difficult subject, which is what John's editorial set out to explain. The model didn't accidentally end up in the pages - it was in there because it's an excellent piece of work just like any other layout featured.

Having seen the presentation for myself, the model and commentary are used to provide a very dry factual history that just covers the specific events of that night. The Luton club have gone to great lengths to be historically accurate and take any sensation or glamour out of the event. Talking to the people manning the stand, they appreciate that it is an emotive event which is why they have stuck to the historical facts. Facts that cannot be disputed or changed. In addition to the model, the stand is covered in supporting documentation and information for anyone who wishes to know more.

Over the Doncaster weekend, no one who saw the display went away unhappy, including relatives of David Whitby (the second man on the loco who was attacked by the gang and was never able to return to work). They also raised appreciable sums for the Railway Benevolent Fund.

The model is the result of serious historical research and, in my opinion, an effort to take back the telling of this story from those who committed the crime and feel the need to glorify their actions, and a media who want to portray the criminals as "lovable rogues".

If we, as railway enthusiasts, aren't allowed to do this, then who will?

Archived