• RMweb Premium

It has just been announced that Flying Scotsman will visit the railway during Easter next year from 13th to 19th July.

This is one of three visits to preserved railways in 2017, the others being the Keighly Worth Valley and West Somerset.

• RMweb Premium

Corrected from July to April.

Thank you! Easter must be very late next year if it's July!

No details yet of services etc. I will post them as they become available. It's going to be a busy week at the railway.

• 1 month later...

From the e-newsletter

Now to 2017 ... during Spring we hold our Diesel Gala (31 March to 2 April), which this year features two class 50s and a still to be confirmed class 37. Our own class 09 also will be in operation.

The biggest event of the year then happens when we host "Flying Scotsman" for seven days during Easter (13-19 April). There's already great excitement, and many volunteers are looking forward to being on duty during its visit. Detailed planning is already underway, and I urge everyone to see this iconic loco on our Railway for yourself. Keep an eye on our website for information about timetables and fares, and hopefully you can take part in what promises to be one of our highest profile events since the re-opening to East Grinstead.

Still in spring, our smaller locos will grab the headlines when we stage our Branch Line Weekend (13-15 May), with the aim of having our five South Eastern & Chatham locos in service, joined by visiting LNWR coal tank No. 1054.

This Summer we'll mark the 50th anniversary of the end of Southern steam (9 July, 1967) with a three-day event to commemorate this significant milestone. In addition to "Blackmoor Vale" and "Camelot", how many of you are aware that we have two other locos that were still operating during summer 1967: USA tank No. 30064 and standard tank No. 80151? Unfortunately, only "Camelot" will be in traffic at the event, joined by visiting un-rebuilt Bulleid Pacific No. 34092 "City of Wells".

It's too early to give definite information of what is being planned for Autumn, but another big event is in prospect, so watch this space!

• Like 1

Deltic event featuring four Deltics on 6-8 October

DELTIC PRESERVATION SOCIETY 40th ANNIVERSARY EVENT

2017 is the 40th Anniversary of the foundation of the Deltic Preservation Society. In conjunction with the NRM/KOYLI Group, Beaver Sports and our hosts The Bluebell Railway we would like to announce a special event at The Bluebell Railway on Fri – Sun 6/7/8 October 2017.

The event will feature 4 working Deltics, D9002, D9009, 55019 and 55022 and we are working on a surprise visitor and will be a Deltic ONLY event. We are at the early planning stages at the moment but some of the ideas we are following include at least one dining train on the Bluebell and if possible another on the Network organised by AVOCET Travel Management, anybody who would like to express an interest in this would they please contact Neil at enquiries@avocettm.co.uk
Jason Cross at the East Midlands Photographic Society has been asked to organise an event on the Friday evening.

Please watch the five parties relevant websites for further updates.

https://www.facebook.com/DelticPS/posts/1535347383143911

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Joan of Ark was burnt at the stake for less than that! 4 Deltics on the Bluebell? The old guard must be rolling in their graves!

And I made my feelings clear when only two appeared.  Haven't been back since.

Anybody else looking forward to Branch Line Weekend in May and the End Of Southern Steam Event in July? In case anybody missed the info in post #308:

Still in spring, our smaller locos will grab the headlines when we stage our Branch Line Weekend (13-15 May), with the aim of having our five South Eastern & Chatham locos in service, joined by visiting LNWR coal tank No. 1054.

This Summer we'll mark the 50th anniversary of the end of Southern steam (9 July, 1967) with a three-day event to commemorate this significant milestone. In addition to "Blackmoor Vale" and "Camelot", how many of you are aware that we have two other locos that were still operating during summer 1967: USA tank No. 30064 and standard tank No. 80151? Unfortunately, only "Camelot" will be in traffic at the event, joined by visiting un-rebuilt Bulleid Pacific No. 34092 "City of Wells".

Will it the be the first time in preservation that 5 SE&CR locos have been in steam at the same place?

Edited by Paul.Uni

• RMweb Premium

Special Events 2017

A full list of Special Events organised so far for 2017 can be found at this webpage

Stay tuned as these events add details and ticketing information and as new events are added.

"FLYING SCOTSMAN" UPDATE: Tickets to travel on general service trains behind "Flying Scotsman" will be on sale in early February. These tickets also will cover travel on trains hauled by other locos during the day, subject to space being available. 
More details coming soon 
  • NEW! Kids for a Quid: 11 to 26 Feb.
  • Diesel Gala: 31 March-2 April
  • "Flying Scotsman": April 13-19 
  • Shareholders Weekend: 22-23 April
  • Bluebell Specials: 24-28 April & 2-5, 8-10 May
  • Branch Line Weekend: 13-14 May
  • Lego Weekend: 27-28 May
  • Collectors Fair: 29 April
  • Fathers Day Event: 18 June
  • Model Railway Weekend: 24-25 June
  • Craft & Food Festival: 1-2 July
  • Collectors Fair: 29-30 July
  • Freshfields Test Match: 19 Aug.*
  • NEW! Seaside Weekend: 19-20 Aug.
  • Steam Through the Ages: 23-24 Sept.
  • NEW! Deltic Preservation Society Gala: 6-8 Oct.
  • Autumn Tints Specials: 2-6, 9-13, 16-20 Oct.
  • Halloween Scream Train: 27 Oct.
* Charity cricket match between the Bluebell Railway XI and Scaynes Hill CC. Open to staff, members, and volunteers. To play for the Railway, contact John Walls.  

Edited by Neal Ball

Details of the Steaming Through The Ages event are available on the Facebook Event Page.

This is an exciting new event for 2017 replacing 'Southern at War'. There will still be a flavour of the war years at Horsted Keynes Station however other stations will recreate pre and post war eras. The Victorians will take centre stage at Sheffield Park Station. At Kingscote you can stop off and enjoy the sights and sounds of the 1960s with refreshments, music and entertainment.

The Bluebell must have to host diesel galas because there are not many other railways which can do so.

Geoff Endacott

I can't make out what you are trying to say with this statement?

Most preserved railways run a diesel gala. Some combine it to make a mixed traction weekend. Although I am surprised at the Bluebell playing host to 4 Deltics.

"The event will feature 4 working Deltics, D9002, D9009, 55019 and 55022 and we are working on a surprise visitor and will be a Deltic ONLY event.'

Kinda limits the surprise somewhat. It would need to be 15,16, both under overhaul or the prototype. Choices choices.

"The event will feature 4 working Deltics, D9002, D9009, 55019 and 55022 and we are working on a surprise visitor and will be a Deltic ONLY event.'

Kinda limits the surprise somewhat. It would need to be 15,16, both under overhaul or the prototype. Choices choices.

Given the engine's origin it could be a motor boat!

• RMweb Premium

But the Bluebell is special. It is the only steam only railway with diesels.

Geoff Endacott

Not any more.

They broke the all-steam "thing" years ago with their own and hired motive power used to shunt stock and clear Imberhorne Tip.  I understand the convenience and cost factor for shunting with an 09 and needs must if they hadn't used diesel traction to run waste trains they might not have reached East Grinstead or would have incurred prohibitive additional costs in doing so.

The last "Deltic-only" event saw a steam-hauled wedding charter operating and while that wasn't available to the general public it did run on a "diesel-only" operating day.

If the Bluebell sees fit to run so many diesels in order to attract sufficient revenue to maintain its steam fleet that is their commercial decision.  My views and experience of Deltic operation there have been made known before and I shall enjoy alternative options instead.  I, and no doubt many other enthusiasts who can find working diesels including Deltics in many other places, could wish the Bluebell had remained all-steam (shunting and tip-clearance excepted) but they don't see it that way.

If the Bluebell sees fit to run so many diesels in order to attract sufficient revenue to maintain its steam fleet that is their commercial decision.  My views and experience of Deltic operation there have been made known before and I shall enjoy alternative options instead.  I, and no doubt many other enthusiasts who can find working diesels including Deltics in many other places, could wish the Bluebell had remained all-steam (shunting and tip-clearance excepted) but they don't see it that way.

On the flip side I boycotted the bluebell due to the lack of Diesels, this year I will visit it at least once, maybe twice for the 2 diesel days. I guess it is maybe the realisation that there was a lucrative market that can be tapped into for 1 or 2 days a year without diluting the core aims/experience of the Bluebell railway.

I have visited the Bluebell for steam galas and, particularly now it is much easier to get to since the East Grinstead extension opened, look forward to visiting for diesel galas too. The Bluebell Railway is to be applauded for their hard work and innovation in organising so many varied galas. Those who do not like diesels (or steam for that matter) are of course perfectly at liberty not to attend any particular event.