• RMweb Premium

Four Bulleid coaches will be heading to the Mid Hants Railway in the next few days, to increase capacity for their Flying Scotsman event. I assume by rail, but no times yet in the system from what I can see. 

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, jafcreasey said:

Just smashing, thanks. I have no idea whether other societies and preserved railways produce and distribute similar things, but this is really good. And the exhortation to spread it far and wide, rather than it being a Members-only perk, is so sensible.  

• Agree 3

Pullman Car Lillian (LNER Car 76) to be sold due to deteriorated body condition and huge expense in repairing monocoque construction. I do recall when it was delivered in the mid 1990s, Bluebell New reported that it was not a long-term aquisition and would require very significant body work in future.

I do wonder who would buy it given the expense of repairs needed. VSOE don't seem to like second class cars, and I believe it was they who sold it to the Bluebell in the first place!

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, G-BOAF said:

Pullman Car Lillian (LNER Car 76) to be sold due to deteriorated body condition and huge expense in repairing monocoque construction. I do recall when it was delivered in the mid 1990s, Bluebell New reported that it was not a long-term aquisition and would require very significant body work in future.

I do wonder who would buy it given the expense of repairs needed. VSOE don't seem to like second class cars, and I believe it was they who sold it to the Bluebell in the first place!

The NYMR's Car No.79, also of monococque construction, is currenty undergoing a very thorough contract overhaul. That said I doubt whether the Moors will be able to afford to do another one for a good long time.

35 minutes ago, papagolfjuliet said:

The NYMR's Car No.79, also of monococque construction, is currenty undergoing a very thorough contract overhaul. That said I doubt whether the Moors will be able to afford to do another one for a good long time.

Indeed, and I suspect this is where the Bluebell get an idea of the cost of overhaul from!

Just seen two Bluebell Bulleid coaches (on trailers) sitting on the slip road from the A272 onto the A23 south? How does stock normally travel by road to and from the Bluebell? From the direction they were pointing I assume that they were going down to Burgess Hill unless they go all the way down to the A27 and then north up the A275 through Chailey?

I assume the reason why they did not travel by rail to the Midhants is they do not have the relevant certification unlike the Mets?  Axle and pull bar testing etc

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, 60526 said:

Just seen two Bluebell Bulleid coaches (on trailers) sitting on the slip road from the A272 onto the A23 south? How does stock normally travel by road to and from the Bluebell? From the direction they were pointing I assume that they were going down to Burgess Hill unless they go all the way down to the A27 and then north up the A275 through Chailey?

I assume the reason why they did not travel by rail to the Midhants is they do not have the relevant certification unlike the Mets?  Axle and pull bar testing etc

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Interesting to see that over the 60th weekend, trains start from Sheffield Park at 08:10 and there will be 6 trains a day. Plus a cavalcade on Sunday.

No further details at this stage - I’m surprised, I would have thought full details would be out already.

Im hoping there will be a special Golden Arrow service, maybe a breakfast train. TBC

We will be at the railway all weekend, staying at a local camp site and going to hire a car so we can get around.

August 7th to 9th.

• RMweb Gold

It seems that if you are a member, and want a photography permit, it will cost you £100 p.a. - and require you to attend a one-day briefing, costing another £100. 

You'd need to be ultra-convinced that shots from inside the fence are going to be so much better to spend that sort of money. And if you don't hand back your mandatory safety gilet back the same day, you forfeit the deposit. 

Makes membership sound so attractive. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

It seems that if you are a member, and want a photography permit, it will cost you £100 p.a. - and require you to attend a one-day briefing, costing another £100. 

You'd need to be ultra-convinced that shots from inside the fence are going to be so much better to spend that sort of money. And if you don't hand back your mandatory safety gilet back the same day, you forfeit the deposit. 

It’s a bit pricey for what it is.... but a line side pass is generally worth it if you live locally. Living in Hove at the time, it was easy to get to the railway for 1/2 a day and I had a couple of years of lineside passes. When we moved to Felpham, being that much further away those 1/2 days didn’t happen as much.

Now of course living in Spain our visits to the railway are going to be infrequent and much as I would love to have a lineside pass, it’s not really feasible. Plus of course my visit would have to co-incident with one of the courses and then stay locally for longer etc.

I will stick to photos from the platforms, or if we hire a car, from the foot crossing at West Hoathley.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

I don't think there's any cost to the permit itself, so it's just the £100 for the course. Still fairly expensive, but a lot of that will be the cost of actually running the course, and a contribution towards the insurance...

• Thanks 1

I used to have a photo permit for the Bluebell (and other railways too) but after  got a very public harassing from a volunteer I gave it up. The only shot I really missed was on the bank as locos round the curve, start with a long zoom and then pulled back to about 50mm with the loco pretty well full frame; magic!

You don't need a photo permit to get the shots on the Bluebell, just a good knowledge of the line and much the same goes for the other lines too. Look at the OS map and work out the public footpaths, there are lots.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, jafcreasey said:

A COVID-19 update ahead of this weekend (March, 21st-22nd): -

https://www.bluebell-railway.com/coronavirus-statement/

One of very few heritage railways to remain open...

I think thats a mistake. I'm sitting here in Spain where we have lockdown - but watching the Prime Minister, he said "Avoid un-neccesary travel" sadly all steam railways come into that category.

There was a post on Facebook today about all steam enthusiasts getting behind steam railways when all this passes and I fully intend to do that. (I am already a shareholder at the Bluebell)