... Those who do not like diesels (or steam for that matter) are of course perfectly at liberty not to attend any particular event.

This is true for the enthusiast community, who might just take care to see what is going on. But most visitors to any railway fall under the heading of 'General Public' who might be under the impression that they are going to see a steam engine or engines. If so they will be disappointed to see only diesels and won't go back again. I think it's important for railways to encourage return visitors from the 'general public' because that is where their financial security lies not in the attendance of a minority.

Edited by PenrithBeacon

Which is why all heritage outfits advertise the dates of special events such as diesel galas - to attract those who want to see the special event, and to advise those who have no interest in them to come another day.

Most people are understanding enough to realise that if they don't check before setting off and turn up for a special event that doesn't interest them, then that's just too bad. Minority interest events are usually out of the peak season so the 'damage' is going to be pretty minimal.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

"The event will feature 4 working Deltics, D9002, D9009, 55019 and 55022 and we are working on a surprise visitor and will be a Deltic ONLY event.'

Kinda limits the surprise somewhat. It would need to be 15,16, both under overhaul or the prototype. Choices choices.

What state will the ex-37 be in by then? A static exhibit to encourage donations?

• RMweb Premium

Oh dear, the diesels are only on a couple of weekends!

There are loads of steam events this year... 2017 is truly the year for everyone at the Bluebell.

My glass is always full to over-flowing, rather than all these negative comments as those on here that know me will attest to!

Let's enjoy the locos whatever type they are.

Thanks, Neal.

• Like 2

I think he's referring to the 37 which is being chopped about at Barrow Hill to resemble a baby deltic, which will then be fitted with a 9 cylinder deltic engine.

If that's fit to travel it would be an interesting sight, particularly for drone fans.

Edited by Zomboid

I can't make out what you are trying to say with this statement?

Most preserved railways run a diesel gala. Some combine it to make a mixed traction weekend. Although I am surprised at the Bluebell playing host to 4 Deltics.

It's not really a Bluebell led event, I gather that the DPS were looking for a line to host their AGM on and decided after the last Deltic gala to hold another one on the line again.

As for people turning up on a non steam day to find Diesels running - It does and occasionally can still happen, When the line was running the 101/108 Hybrid between East Grinstead and Horsted Keynes a few years ago, I do remember one person turning up and finding they couldn't go all the way down to Sheffield Park. It was however well publicised that the bottom half of the line was closed for Engineering work and that the DMU would run. It was also rather well attended for what is the quietest part of the season.

• RMweb Premium

More news from the railway:

Diesel gala will now include a class 37 and a real ale event on the Saturday evening.

Unrebuilt City of Wells is visiting on one of the event days.

Shareholders weekend has moved from April to October.

Busy year at the railway.

Just had a letter from Bluebell explaining Scotsman ticket arrangements.

• Scotsman Round Trips are £35. Bookable online via an independent agent. Tickets are planned to go on sale Monday 6th February. Covers trips on the non-Scotsman trips. Train is formed of 8 carriages, including the GN Saloon. GN Saloon available for hire info on: http://www.bluebell-railway.com/event/corporate-flying-scotsman/
  • Non Scotsman day tickets are £25. Planned to go on sale end of February or early March. There may be some pay on the day tickets available.
  • Members & Life Members non Scotsman tickets are £15. You can only book these between Monday 20th & 24th February.
  • Platform tickets for Sheffield Park, Horsted Keynes & Kingscote stations are £10. You can only buy these on the day, subject to no overcrowding issues. Platform tickets for East Grinstead will not be available.

To sign up for email alerts about ticket release go to http://www.bluebell-railway.com/event/flying-scotsman/

Edited by Paul.Uni
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Does any body know if the admission time on your ticket (1hr before your allotted trip on Flying Scotsman is the earliest time you can come on site at the Bluebell that day or if you can be there for early doors and enjoy the museum, ride other trains while you wait ?

Many thanks

Chris

....edit Apparently you can.

Edited by Chrisr40

• RMweb Premium

Bought our tickets yesterday and apparently 1/2 of the seats for Flying Scotsman have sold out already.

Details here: http://www.bluebell-railway.com/event/flying-scotsman/

Book here: https://www.ticketsource.co.uk/bluebell-railway

We have booked onto a camps site for a couple of days, which weather permitting should be walking distance to the railway. Apparently part of the camp site runs alongside the railway, but think its the wooded bit, rather than clear fields.

Really looking forward to this, I've never seen Flying Scotsman in the flesh. It looks totally unrecognizable to me because I'm so use to the LNER version that spent years whizzing around my childhood layout and I hate BR liveries on grouping and pre grouping locos, but looking forward to seeing it all the same :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

it will certainly be an experience, not sure about the crowds though. The whole area will be packed.

edit: The railway is expecting @6,000 per day!

Edited by Neal Ball

• RMweb Premium

Apparently there are now less than 100 tickets left for Flying Scotsmans visit.

Plus, changes to three platform faces have already been done to get the loco down to East Grinstead. Dormant has been done, Lingfield and Oxted need to be done.

Apparently there are now less than 100 tickets left for Flying Scotsmans visit.

Plus, changes to three platform faces have already been done to get the loco down to East Grinstead. Dormant has been done, Lingfield and Oxted need to be done.

Expensive! Who is funding that, the BB or the taxpayer?

• RMweb Premium

I've just seen a classic 'disgusted of Tunbridge Wells' type tirade about the platform adjustments at Dormans, Lingfield and Oxted, ranting on about how the gap between train and platform is being widened, who is paying for it, it's all GTR's fault, etc, etc, etc, adnauseum....  :jester:

Must be a Daily Mail reader....

Edited by John M Upton

It's only correcting a gap that has been getting smaller - Dormans was because of embankment slippage causing the gap to close up, so would have had to be done sooner or later otherwise you'd risk even the super narrow Class 377s not being able to get through.

Regards,

Dan

• Like 1

Bought our tickets yesterday and apparently 1/2 of the seats for Flying Scotsman have sold out already.

Details here: http://www.bluebell-railway.com/event/flying-scotsman/

Book here: https://www.ticketsource.co.uk/bluebell-railway

We have booked onto a camps site for a couple of days, which weather permitting should be walking distance to the railway. Apparently part of the camp site runs alongside the railway, but think its the wooded bit, rather than clear fields.

Have you any website or Name for said Campsite? Might be handy for future use on visit to B/B Railway.

• 1 month later...