• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Further details are now available - in as much as there will be some loco changes taking place at Horsted Keynes, details here:

https://www.bluebell-railway.com/whats_on/branch-line-weekend-2/

This from the "what's new" page on the website:

The second visiting locomotive for our 15-17 March Branch Line Weekend is Beattie Well Tank No.30587, which is visiting us courtesy of the NRM. It is seen here on a photo charter back in 2006.

The timetable for this event will be different each day, and will be available soon. On the Friday we will be operating an increased frequency timetable between East Grinstead and Sheffield Park, featuring shorter trains hauled by a selection of locomotives.

On both the Saturday and Sunday it will be a case of "All Change at Horsted Keynes" with an intensive timetable of trains between there and both Sheffield Park and East Grinstead and with frequent changes of locomotives. There will also be brake van rides available at Horsted Keynes.

30587_2006h.jpg

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

First the bad news, Bluebell has had to be withdrawn from the event. Updated timetable is available https://www.bluebell-railway.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Branch-Line-2019-Final-Timetable.pdf

The good news is that the two remaining Metropolitian Railway carriages and Bulleid composite carriage No. 5768 return into service this weekend. 5768 is on Set B on the Friday and Set C on the Saturday & Sunday. The four Metropolitian Railway carriages form Set D on the Saturday & Sunday. Full carriage sets details are on: https://www.bluebell-railway.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Branch-Line-Carriage-Set-Formations-2019-v2.pdf

• Thanks 1

Just been to Sunday's iteration Branchline Weekend. Fantastic! Although 30587 did sadly fail (late morning?) and was replaced on duties by P 178.

Had a great run southbound with the Beattie and W24, followed by W24 and 263 to East Grinstead. Shuttles between HK and Kingscote were a great idea, combined with the required shunting at Kingscote gave the place real energy.

Fantastic Gala, with icing on the cake of riding in the Bulleid Society's newly restored Bulleid Composite.

This was the Bluebell at its best, but I said that during the 60103 and 60009 visits as well. Since things have settled down post 2014 Extension opening, the extra Bluebell Energy has gone into delivering great shows! It is lovely to see/experience.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Paul.Uni said:

2020 Events:

• Branch Line: 3rd – 5th April
  • Road Meets Rail: 13th – 14th June
  • Model Railway Weekend: 27th – 28th June
  • Diamond Event: 7th – 9th August
  • Giants of Steam: 25th – 27th September

Full list of events on https://www.bluebell-railway.com/whats-on/all-events/

A Shame to see that the Diesel weekend has dropped off the Calendar completely. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, surfsup said:

A Shame to see that the Diesel weekend has dropped off the Calendar completely. 

Not a surprise - apart from the 1st Deltic event, visitor numbers were very poor - plus they have been blighted by failures of the hired in diesels - during the last one that was held the S15 had to be pressed into service as a steam thunderbird!

Diesel galas on the Bluebell will always be more expensive to hold than on other railways due to the railway not having a home diesel fleet thus requiring significant hire costs to bring enough locos in for the event. on the likes of the Severn Valley, having a loco fail is not usually too much of a big deal as the existence of a home fleet means there is a decent back up in place - and of course more variety with more locos running in the first place.

Unless we get enough visitors, then holding diesel galas is simply pouring good money down the drain which could be more effectively used for other projects or bringing in steamers for the other galas. Yes people can complain about the choice of motive power and the date in the calendar selected for previous events - but ultimately we simply didn't get enough visitors.

Therefore I predict it will be a long time before another diesel gala is held - if you wait long enough then the 'novelty' effect will build up and will help with visitor numbers.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

There is an issue next year.... in as much as the East Grinstead line is having major engineering works carried out.

this means that the majority of the summer the railway will not be able to accept any movements at EG.

On that basis the decision was made not to gave the diesel gala in 2020, Ive been advised that it will return in 2021.

With regard to the 69th anniversary celebrations, whilst it us confined to a weekend in August, I also understand that there will be other events during the year.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

a I will look forward to the Diesel Gala in 2021 then....

It is obviously not easy for starters as the railway has no mainline diesels.

If it is to run properly and attract bigger crowds then you need a decent number of diesels present - it was risking it last time with 1 x 31 & 2 peaks trying to run a frequent service as one failure instantly means things are stretched and if I recall both Peaks ran into trouble at various times.

GBRf have done a superb job of supporting such events but I personally think you have to watch you don't end up with too many GBRf locos as happened in a previous year. It is important to include the heritage diesels and maybe other rare traction such as a Colas 37 or 56 but if you run the event in cold weather then they can't provide train heat.

I would love to see classes 33 & 73 (for Southern fans) represented along with say a 31,37,55(Deltic) again or 52(Western) and say one 66 or other modern traction to tow them there if required. 

Not easy of course, and all diesel fans would want the Bluebell to have a successful event but sometimes you have to go out and get good traction in to really pull in the crowds.

Any best wishes and I will look forward to my next visit to the Bluebell in 2021.

Edited by deltic17
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 10/11/2019 at 07:18, Neal Ball said:

On that basis the decision was made not to gave the diesel gala in 2020, Ive been advised that it will return in 2021.

It is rumoured that to prevent the gala being marred by failures, the need to employ steam  thunderbirds and to generally make the thing more exciting to the diesel enthusiasts up to 6 locos are being looked at for next time. Thing is its prohibitively expensive to bring that many in separately by road - the only way it comes close to being economically viable is if they come in as a convey by rail.

With the Oxted line having a loco ban slapped on it for most of next year while NR strengthen / repair the metal viaducts on the route, as you say, no diesel gala will thus be possible till 2021. Hopefully though when it does happen it should be a much more interesting event if the tentative plans become reality.

Again, I point out that if the Bluebell had a resident diesel fleet and only a couple of extra visiting locos were needed then it might have been possible to do something with the visiting locos coming in by road.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, phil-b259 said:

Again, I point out that if the Bluebell had a resident diesel fleet and only a couple of extra visiting locos were needed then it might have been possible to do something with the visiting locos coming in by road

Steam only was their USP for some time (is it still the case, or have they got a shunter now?), so not having a home fleet is entirely understandable.

Even as someone who has been involved in diesel preservation I'm not sure I'd advocate that they should collect a bunch of diesels.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Zomboid said:

Steam only was their USP for some time (is it still the case, or have they got a shunter now?), so not having a home fleet is entirely understandable.

Even as someone who has been involved in diesel preservation I'm not sure I'd advocate that they should collect a bunch of diesels.

Oh don't get me wrong - being steam only as far as passengers are concerned (yes we do have an 09 shunter) is a definite plus in terms of having a USP - and if truth be told something I would like to continue.

However in the context of holding diesel galas, that same USP does make them harder and more expensive to put on than other railways (even if NR hadn't banned locos from the Oxted line for the whole of next year).

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...