1 hour ago, rasalmon said:

Decades ago Bluebell and Middleton came to an agreement that honours were due to both, with Middleton being recognised as the first heritage line to re-open, and Bluebell as the first to reopen a former passenger line.  All that was mentioned on here was "After we've celebrated our 60th (61st) anniversary..."  It would be very strange if Bluebell stole Middelton's thunder, and celebrated Middleton's anniversary, so Bluebell celebrates its own, as KESR will be celebrating its 50th this year (or 60th if you believe Heritage Railways mag!).   Sorry, it just sounds like, 60 years on, you personally have a massive chip on your shoulder over how successful Bluebell has been, when you should be celebrating how successful Middleton has been.

I have no problem with the Bluebell railway, except that it could do with using a few more chainsaws on the undergrowth. Having been shown the work on Imberholme cutting a few years previously when visiting with the HRA, just before my mother's death we had a enjoyable trip on the extension to East Grinstead, using the wheel chair lift coach and having a very nice lunch;  however, she would not want anyone to forget, in a light-hearted way, the correct precedence - irrespective of the quality of the Bluebell food.     

What I do have issue with a limited number of people involved with Bluebell over the years having a very selective memory and being very sniffy that Middleton was either not a 'real' railway, or it being run by a bunch of people playing with trains. Internal disagreements in early 60's RPS are not really relevant here; however, early schemes needed larger than life people (or just plain eccentrics) and tended to be very set in their ways.  So yes I do take issue seriously - the only thing I have a chip on my shoulder about is those people who think I have a chip on the shoulder about it. It balances it all out.

• Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Bomag said:

What I do have issue with a limited number of people involved with Bluebell over the years having a very selective memory and being very sniffy that Middleton was either not a 'real' railway, or it being run by a bunch of people playing with trains. Internal disagreements in early 60's RPS are not really relevant here; however, early schemes needed larger than life people (or just plain eccentrics) and tended to be very set in their ways.  So yes I do take issue seriously - the only thing I have a chip on my shoulder about is those people who think I have a chip on the shoulder about it. It balances it all out.

Clearly you have an axe to grind. Let’s stick to the title of the page please and focus on news from the Bluebell.

If you would like to set up a Middleton page in the Preservation section, you are able to.

Moving on:

Thanks for the heads up about tomorrow’s announcement @rasalmon, sadly it’s looking more likely that we still won’t be able to travel to the UK this year. Or at least not during the summer, so will miss out on the 61st celebrations.

Here’s to a pint of Harvey’s at the railway in 2022....

• Friendly/supportive 2

What's 6 weeks after 60 years? Particularly with the caveat of "standard gauge". Talyllyn was first, everyone else wasn't ;)

Though saying that, the facts are the facts and should be stated accurately if they're going to be mentioned at all.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

Today I got my up date direct off of Bluebell’s ‘What’s new at the Bluebell Railway’ site.

https://www.bluebell-railway.com/brps/whats_new/

Having read through the reactions to some of the recent posts within this thread I sadly get the impression that certain individuals regard it as their personal domain, act like Moderators when they clearly aren’t and shut out anyone who doesn’t agree with their narrow world view. Hopefully that person is a major contributor to Bluebell, volunteers a huge amount of time and donates a vast amount of money to it. Difficult to see the point in Bluebell news on here when it is already supplied from the horses mouth.

I thought that RMWEB was fairly tolerant which is the main reason I joined but I certainly won’t be wasting my time and posting anything else on this thread....as I am sure that you will be pleased to know. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Both the Mid Hants and Severn Valley are also opening on 12th April while the Worth Valley and Great Central restart on 17th April. Many other lines have not yet announced when they will reopen but in many cases the date is probably chosen with volenteer staff availability very much in mind. 

I look forward to visiting many of them later in the year and wish all lines a successful and profitable year. 

• Agree 3

Updates on progress with Camelot’s intermediate overhaul on The 73082 Camelot Locomotive Society Facebook Page. Members of the owning group have been cleaning down and re-painting the dragbox. The repaired (and mostly new) ashpan is ready, the new tubes are in the boiler, which has been filled with water and will have preliminary checks this week running up to a hydraulic test in the presence of the boiler inspector which is scheduled for 12th April. An out-of-frames steam test will follow and then reassembly can begin.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

That's very kind, Oldddudders.  I'm afraid it's only the same I'm posting on the Blog page... but it does enable a discussion of the news items should anyone wish!
Anyhow, the next edition of Bluebell Times is out, and contents include:
  – More virtual tours coming soon
  – A new addition to SteamWorks!
  – A special Easter message from the Railway’s chaplain
  – An in-depth look at ‘Camelot’
  – Electric Vehicle charging points installed at Sheffield Park, funded from the Culture Recovery Fund for Heritage grant
  – Memories of Fire Service Emergency Services Weekend 2002
  – In our Museum: The New Devon Pottery’s “Bluebell Railway” range
  – Five Minutes with … Sam Bee
  – Recruitment starts for our next plc Chairman and Locomotive Director
  – And much, much more.

bluebelltimes_apr21h.jpg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Fenchurch's frames and firebox have been sent away for overhaul: https://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/loco_news/21/fenchurch_may21.pdf

Camelot's boiler had passed its out of frames steam test: https://www.facebook.com/The-73082-Camelot-Locomotive-Society-381518251989806/

We have 5 additional web cams: https://www.bluebell-railway.com/webcams/

Staff training/refresher runs using the Q-class started today (Saturday), in preparation for the resumption of services on Thursday 20 May. https://www.bluebell-railway.com/brps/whats_new/
The May 2021 edition of Bluebell Times is out: https://www.bluebell-railway.com/bluebell-times/

I took this photo of the H-class at Horsted Keynes last Tuesday; it is seen about to shunt the generator van (BY 404) from the maintenance pit to join a set being prepared for some filming work (we seem to have had quite a bit of that recently, providing some very much needed income). The Metropolitan Railway coaches then went over the pit to prepare them for operation in a few weeks time. The Mk.1/Bulleid side-corridor set will initially be used on the public services.

h_class_404_in_op4_ras0913_11may21h.jpg

Edited by rasalmon
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 17/05/2021 at 12:52, KeithHC said:

The new webcams are great just Horsted Keynes now missing but appreciate that the they would not happen as they might upset filming in the future.

Keith

Keith, I suspect that's more to do with Horsted not having a decent Internet connection.
Regards,

Richard

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Given that there hasn’t been much activity on this thread recently, I thought that I’d just drop this little grenade of chaos…

Brilliant news:

Class 33 052 has arrived at Bluebell and will be living there as it’s new home.

Finally some great news at last. Well done to all those involved, who have finally helped common sense prevail.

My Lordz. :yahoo:

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, STONECOLDSMILE1882 said:

Yeeeeeeha! Finally! 33052…Cromptontastic….Get In! Horsted Keynes MPD. :yahoo:

I asked that question!

It's due to be shedded at Sheffield Park.

Details on the loco etc. are here: https://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/soc/notices/diesel_developments_29jun21.pdf

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Round of applause 1