• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, STONECOLDSMILE1882 said:

I seem to remember that the owners choose the livery or does that only apply to steam locos?

Nope - the owners decision is final regardless of motive power.

That said its unlikely to appear in anything other than Green or possibly BR blue,

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, phil-b259 said:

Nope - the owners decision is final regardless of motive power.

That said its unlikely to appear in anything other than Green or possibly BR blue,

Given that it's owned by the same group who own the 09, I'd assume it'll also be green.

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, STONECOLDSMILE1882 said:

I seem to remember that the owners choose the livery or does that only apply to steam locos?

It's owned by a bunch of people already involved with the railway, or that's what I understood from the published letter. So they'll be on board with the ethos of the railway.

And whilst it's up to the owner what colour they paint their stuff, there could well be clauses in the agreement to have it based there that restrict the colours they can use. So I doubt it'll be trundling through Kingscote in CIE orange any time soon.

Ultimately of course paint is basically irrelevant, it's just rust proofing with pigmentation. When I was more heavily involved with diesel preservation, a great way to wind owners up was to ask what colour they were going to paint the outside of it whilst the main generator was in need of a megabucks rewind and the batteries weren't fit to start a golf buggy, much less a 12LDA/ 16CSVT.

But we've all got opinions on how we'd like to see things :)

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

44 minutes ago, Zomboid said:

And whilst it's up to the owner what colour they paint their stuff, there could well be clauses in the agreement to have it based there that restrict the colours they can use. So I doubt it'll be trundling through Kingscote in CIE orange any time soon.

But they do look rather good in that livery.... https://irishrailwaymodeller.com/topic/4445-160mph-lima-cie-class-33/

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

The person to ask is @rasalmon, What’s the situation with the livery for the class 33.

can the owning group decide on their own livery, or is it written into the agreement that it has to stay Green.

Thanks

• RMweb Premium

Has anyone been to the railway and seen the 33? 

Colin Tyson is asking for a photo. 

All done thanks.

Edited by Neal Ball

• RMweb Gold

It has to be said that by the late '60s, the remaining green ones were looking very unloved. My colleague Ken in Redhill Control would try to send the rubbish-looking ones back to the South Eastern, while keeping the spiffy blue ones. But pristine green without any horrid yellow bits would be my livery of choice. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

• 5 weeks later...

The 33 was in the SP carriage shed at the weekend, you could see it through the museum window. Because the windows are double glazed it created an optical illusion and made it look 10ft long through 2 of the windows. Being just green it fits in well, why duplicate a blue one which is just down the road at the Spa Valley.

I want to talk about Skippy, our Sentinel 4W DH, after passing over a donation to the HK station fund on Sunday I was allowed to drive the loco up and down the HK yard with one of the 13T Medfits attached, I managed to stop within limits and keep to the speed limits. Not a class P or Terrier, but it was good fun, really enjoyed it. The mind does funny things but my mate has convinced me that I should have one of these for my model railway project. According to the website our Sentinel was rebuilt in the 70's after an altercation at Thoresby colliery, subsequently rebuilt by Thomas Hill in Rotherham with a Vanguard cab. So there is a difference between the Hornby model and Skippy. Does anyone know if somebody has made some etched conversion kit or is there a 3D print conversion for changing the Hornby model to something resembling the mark we have on the railway?

• RMweb Premium
On 12/07/2021 at 13:08, Neal Ball said:

The latest issue of the Bluebell Times is now available.

https://www.bluebell-railway.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/Issue-22.pdf

That is fantastic, I would say it would be good for some other railways, but would probably fall foul of their social media policy for daring to say so. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I was delighted to visit the line three weeks ago for the Model Railway Weekend.  My first visit in far too long, even being caught in the odd shower didn't matter, the scenes along the railway are just superb.  Well done to everyone who makes it happen.

IMG_6335.JPG.383038c00369d69137b2b9a4fc4ea38b.JPG

Edited by Northmoor
re-post photos
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

With the society AGM looming, there has been a discussion on the unofficial Facebook page about new blood coming forward for some of the positions available.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/601609619939850/permalink/3836672166433563/

Succession planning, existing post holders wanting to retire. A problem in so many clubs and societies, modern life styles do not give younger working age people the circa 9-5, 5 day week with weekends free that, as one of the baby-boomer generation, I was able to enjoy.

Edited by john new
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

Sadly the aging volunteer base is hitting many hobbies now. A couple of local drama clubs have wound up because no new blood could commit to the rehearsals and I bring the average age of our model club down by a couple of decades. 

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 20/08/2021 at 08:13, john new said:

Succession planning, existing post holders wanting to retire. A problem in so many clubs and societies, modern life styles do not give younger working age people the circa 9-5, 5 day week with weekends free that, as one of the baby-boomer generation, I was able to enjoy.

With more candidates than posts for both the Chairman and Trustee vacancies, we have elections at the forthcoming AGM, so fortunately there are still plenty of people prepared to step into the shoes of retirees within BRPS.

• Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 20/08/2021 at 08:13, john new said:

I've no idea about the Bluebell railways internal politics, so I wouldn't want to specifically comment... You often find people in clubs and societies like to create and then jealously guard their own little fiefdoms. Which are then really hard for anyone else to pick up when the time comes.

• Agree 4