• RMweb Premium

The 4VEP is on the move. As announced by the Bluebell on Facebook today, It is to move to Bombardier's Ilford Works to allow restoration to commence.

Apparently the works are "extensive" 

More details are here: http://www.setg.org.uk and also here:http://southernelectrictractiongroup.wordpress.com

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A new appeal has been launched today to provide cover for the carriage stock: http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/trust/appeal/about.html

post-6981-0-52139900-1413046783.jpg

With a video appeal by Nicholas Owen: 

If you donate by mid-November this will be doubled due to sponsors pledging to double funding up to £125k - in total £350k needs to be raised.

Please give generously for this worthy cause, 

Thanks.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Update to the Carriage shed project... Last I heard the fun is in excess of £350,000 and counting. Construction starts this Autumn.

Giants of Steam returns on October 31st and November 1st, will include a guest loco.

Real Ale and Jazz dates have also been announced £34.50 includes first pint and bangers and mash: May 22nd; June 19th; July 17th and 31st.

Regards, Neal

• RMweb Premium

The diesel gala takes place on the only weekend I could have visited the Bluebell in 2015.  

With only two weeks in the country and my diary well filled there is no other option.  The Bluebell has therefore lost one fare and I now have a free weekend to visit another line to enjoy their steam trains.  

I mentioned before in this thread that I understand there may be a need for some trains to be diesel hauled.  That doesn't extend, in my opinion, to having full on diesel galas.  But if that is all that will keep the Bluebell alive then so be it.  

Last year's "mini diesel gala" using a 33, DMU, and a pair of shunters, was held on a Friday when the railway was normally shut, so as not to "interfere" with their normal weekend visitors who expect steam trains.

Every train I travelled on that day was wedged, in fact I would almost say busier than some of their normal 'steam weekends' with a lot of people having travelled a considerable distance for the rarity of diesel haulage on the Bluebell.  Apart from a fault on one of the shunters which meant they weren't able to run the brake van shuttles as planned, I would have said that the weekend was an overwhelming success for everyone.

Personally I think you'd need a bit more variety than two Deltics to call it a proper 'diesel gala' but I understand that the attraction of a couple of Deltics would be quite a pull for many over a line that may well have never seen them before and there's a very good chance I'll be there on one of the days.

Whilst I accept that you appear to be predominantly a steam fan, the rarity of Deltics on the Bluebell makes it highly rateable in my book (although I have little experience of Deltic haulage on the mainline so they aren't a favourite of mine) but being fairly local to me it's a bit of a no-brainer.

I do find it interesting when people consider diesels "inappropriate" as they never ran on the Bluebell when it was open as a railway but have no problem with 'foreign locos' such as GWR locos running there that would never have been seen there either, or the Met stock, or the LNWR observation car.

• RMweb Premium

The novelty value might or might not wear off as more similar events are held.  

For me what made the Bluebell so unique was its "no diesels" policy and the atmosphere which is (still) always of a well-run steam railway in days gone by.  I don't have a problem with "foreign" steam locos running where they never did.  My issue with the Bluebell is that the last major all-steam heritage railway has chosen to join the mob and is in danger of becoming just like all the rest.  I hope that isn't to its detriment in the long term but I shall seek my steam trains elsewhere given the limited time I have in the UK this year.

What happens when the Ardingly branch opens will be another matter altogether.  If it can provide a home to working third-rail heritage stock, not least as it was closed by BR as an electrified line, then I for one shall be keen to support it.

Edited by Gwiwer

• RMweb Premium

At the end of the day, the Bluebell has to evolve and find new ways of putting cash into the till, on what otherwise could have been a quiet weekend.

Not everyone's cup of tea, but it won't spoil the overall aims and feel of the railway. It's still one of the top steam railways in the UK.

I too would support the Ardingly branch being worked by electric stock. A few years ago, the railway was offered a Thumper, which I thought would have been very much at home on the Ardingly branch.

I still, to this day think that the passing of the opportunity to preserve a Thumper on the line was a regrettable missed one. They might not have ran on the line during it's open days, but certainly were local in the area until the electrification of the East Grinstead branch and replacement of the Thumpers by 170s/171s in the later part of the last centaury - certainly a decision that seems to be felt across the board, both on Social Media and other members I have spoken too. Still, there's hope for one one day - I can image the sound of one climbing through the tunnel already!

As for a regular diesel working, I too think that it'll be a while yet before we see such a service, but as I've said in the past I hope that the merits of having of having a regular diesel turn can come to the line one day - Ideally in a similar service set up which works well for other lines like the Swanage or Spa Valley for example, whereby the first and last are worked by a DMU or DEMU. This at least means that the line can run earlier in the day and later into the evening, without having an impact on the loco crews life's - earlier connections to the East Grinstead end and it still remains a steam railway thought the day and into the evening. That way, everyone remains happy, and the railway can operate more services into EG.

• RMweb Premium

I still, to this day think that the passing of the opportunity to preserve a Thumper on the line was a regrettable missed one. They might not have ran on the line during it's open days, but certainly were local in the area until the electrification of the East Grinstead branch and replacement of the Thumpers by 170s/171s in the later part of the last centaury - certainly a decision that seems to be felt across the board, both on Social Media and other members I have spoken too. Still, there's hope for one one day - I can image the sound of one climbing through the tunnel already!

As for a regular diesel working, I too think that it'll be a while yet before we see such a service, but as I've said in the past I hope that the merits of having of having a regular diesel turn can come to the line one day - Ideally in a similar service set up which works well for other lines like the Swanage or Spa Valley for example, whereby the first and last are worked by a DMU or DEMU. This at least means that the line can run earlier in the day and later into the evening, without having an impact on the loco crews life's - earlier connections to the East Grinstead end and it still remains a steam railway thought the day and into the evening. That way, everyone remains happy, and the railway can operate more services into EG.

The oppotunity to purchase a thumper was when (1) every penny was needed for the extension and more significantly (2) was in the period when Benard Holden was still president of the society. He made his feelings VERY clear on the matter "NO DIESELS" was his attitude and it was only once he had passed on did the railway cautiously begin to consider the possibilities that could come from them.

Thats not to deny there was a point behind his thinking - as Gwiwer apply demonstrates being a guaranteed "Steam only" railway does have some advantages. Many on the railway still support this line of thinking and as a consequence its very much a case of taking things cautiously. Last years mini gala certainly drew the respectable numbers but as with last time many members will be watching the forthcoming Deltic visit extremely closely. It is worth saying that if numbers are disappointing it will definitely set back the diesel cause on the Bluebell a good five years or more.....

Personally I am not particularly fussed by the idea of holding a diesel gala in general and I wouldn't object if I am restored to work down there over the weekend concerned. However I won't be making a special trip over to see or ride being the Deltics - sorry diesels just don't 'do it' for me. The main thing is it makes a profit for the railway - not a loss and that it doesn't do our reputation any harm - particularly as many of our casual visitors turn up expecting steam.

Edited by phil-b259

The opportunity to purchase a thumper (1) when every penny was needed for the extension and more significantly 

Fair points, although on this specific point if I recall correctly the leasing company that owned the Thumpers at final withdrawal (Porterbrook?) actually offered them for free to suitable railways

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Fair points, although on this specific point if I recall correctly the leasing company that owned the Thumpers at final withdrawal (Porterbrook?) actually offered them for free to suitable railways

True, but IIRC they were hardly in the best of condition which made it very easy for the anti diesel lobby to make the case that they would take resources away from more needy projects. To be fair though if Bernard and others we more open to the idea of a Thumper it probably would have happened - but they weren't so it didn't. Like I said earlier while Bernard may not be with us anymore, there are plenty of other long standing / respected members that still subscribe to his viewpoint.

Bluebell news, my son passed the first part of his firing test last weekend firing the S15 for 3 round trips. He now has to do another test on a small loco later in the year before he's fully qualified.

His arms still haven't recovered!

• Like 7

as with last time many members will be watching the forthcoming Deltic visit extremely closely. It is worth saying that if numbers are disappointing it will definitely set back the diesel cause on the Bluebell a good five years or more.....

don't worry - there will be thousands there for the Deltics + other Diesels yet to be announced? I am certainly planning to go on both days. It will make money for the Bluebell on what would otherwise be a normal weekend so the Bluebell will be happy and Diesel fans too.

• Like 1