There are many diesel fans that don't bother with the Bluebell as there is nothing there of interest to them, so diesel haulage options on the Bluebell will draw in people that wouldn't normally bother visiting.

Wholeheartedly agree. I have no interest in seeing the Deltics but I am fully in favour of their visit. A diesel gala is a perfect use of an otherwise potentially quiet running day.

I'm sure that there will be a few upset families who have not read the leaflet/website and seen that no steam is running, but that would be their own fault!

In other news, O2 no.24 is set to visit from the Isle of Wight in the Autumn.

don't worry - there will be thousands there for the Deltics + other Diesels yet to be announced? I am certainly planning to go on both days. It will make money for the Bluebell on what would otherwise be a normal weekend so the Bluebell will be happy and Diesel fans too.

Just reading the DPS site - it is now a 3 day event - with the Friday added too - even better!!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Details of the Deltics visit is now on the Bluebell Website: http://www.bluebell-railway.com/event/diesel-weekend/

Talking of visitors, from the last enewsletter:

Giants of Steam is back this year--from 31 Oct. to 1 Nov., 2015--and you may be asking, "What locomotives will visit us?" Well we hope one loco will be a BR Standard 4-6-2.

Also, on the subject of visitors, we should have one coming from across the water in November. From the Isle of Wight, that is. Keep watching this space for further announcement and details on both events.

Also the Great Norther Directors Saloon will have a summer holiday at the Mid Norfolk Railway. Details at http://www.mnr.org.uk/directors-saloon/

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Did anyone listen to Sounds of the 80's (I think a couple of weekends ago)? - Its still on the BBC iPlayer and that week is available to watch as well as listen on the radio.

Anyway, the point is that Sheena Easton's 80's hit 9-5 was filmed at Horsted Keynes.

Not sure if the driver was an actual driver, he was very young.

The loco of choice (Not a Hi-viz in sight) was the Adams Radial No 488.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huNejF17gzg

Edited by Neal Ball

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

As today was the only opportunity I had to do so I visited the Bluebell in the company of some old school friends.  

Horsted Keynes was rather quiet until shortly before the first train arrived.  Even so most of those assembled seemed more intent on photographing Deltics than paying to travel.  The trains were for the most part around half full all day.  In the morning the platforms, bridges and linesides were lined with photographers; most had gone by lunchtime.

One steam train was in traffic but only as a wedding charter and not available for regular passengers.  Pathing that mean advertised crosses at HK could not be made in the platforms so the down train stopped short of the station until the up ran past it.  That stymied a few personal plans.

The usual families and local visitors seemed to be almost totally absent.  Just about everyone was there for the diesels.  Whether you consider that successful needs to be judged against the numerous visitors I noticed arriving then leaving upon being told it was a diesel gala.  Most of those were young families hoping for a steam train ride.  Did the gala actually bring in more revenue (after hire fees and ancillaries were paid for) compared with a normal fine Spring Saturday?

Several staff admitted they loathed the diesels and were working under protest.  One took the trouble to alert us to the imminent and unique cross of a Deltic and a steam-hauled train at Kingscote with the words "At least there's one proper train running"

I seldom get the opportunity to support British steam preservation.  If the Bluebell repeats its diesel days I shall not bother wasting my money attending.  I can do that, should I wish, on other mixed-traction lines.  I even had the misfortune to suffer diesel haulage on the RH&DR a few days ago for reasons not apparent when three steam locos were on shed and seemed to be available.

Other opinions may be available.

• RMweb Premium

Thats a shame 

Shame that the event was not better attended... maybe something more Southern would have been better?

Shame that you would not support something different at the the railway. But like anything, you pays your money and takes your choice.

Steam returns in full on Monday, maybe you can repeat the visit? and enjoy something more authentic?

I don't know how busy the Bluebell might be on an average Saturday when there's nothing special on - it's a shame if a lot of people took photos but didn't actually pay the Bluebell anything by taking a trip or even having a pasty in the café.  I do know, from the various railway groups I belong to on Facebook, that there's been a lot of chatter about it, and overwhelmingly positive (although maybe I just belong to the 'wrong' groups).

Unfortunately wlife has other plans for my weekend otherwise I'd have been there - and paid for the ride.  I thoroughly enjoyed the "diesel do" last year including the "faulty gronk crawl" at 5mph into East Grinstead.

There are many, many other weekends of "pure steam" at the Bluebell throughout the year as normal running and special weekends with visitors.  I really don't understand why so many people begrudge us "oil burning tin can fans" one weekend a year to enjoy ourselves on the line.

Edited by cromptonnut
  • Like 2

I'd agree Neal - they missed an opportunity there last year when the 33/1 was down to do something with the VEP - but maybe next year they will be able to once all the maintenance that's currently being done on the unit is complete.  Of course it costs money to bring in things by road or rail (we have the Hastings unit, Thumpers etc all available and eminently suitable) and I can understand any railway being budget-conscious though.

I still have no idea why people bring up that "such and such" diesel never ran on the Bluebell when it was open - I doubt if many GWR locos or London Transport pannier tanks made it down there either - let alone something like Tornado - but that fact seems to be entirely lost on some.

I have just returned from the diesel gala at the Bluebell and must say that the trains I traveled on were very full! It's the first time I and many others have done the Bluebell Line but with comments from Gwiwer above I won't be back in a hurry. I would think they made a very nice pot of money at £20 a head and the food that was consumed at the buffet at Sheffield Park was full when we ate in there. I take it that Gwiwer can only make it there on the 3 days a year that they have a Diesel Gala, surely there are 362 other days when they are boiling water that you could visit? It's a Diesel Gala for other people in the world, get over it.

The usual families and local visitors seemed to be almost totally absent.  Just about everyone was there for the diesels.

Funny that, seeing as it was advertised as a Diesel Gala weekend.

One took the trouble to alert us to the imminent and unique cross of a Deltic and a steam-hauled train at Kingscote with the words "At least there's one proper train running" Glad he noticed it and didn't that Deltic make a fine sight!

I even had the misfortune to suffer diesel haulage on the RH&DR a few days ago for reasons not apparent when three steam locos were on shed and seemed to be available. Simple fact is that Diesels are more efficient.

• RMweb Premium

As today was the only opportunity I had to do so I visited the Bluebell in the company of some old school friends.  

Horsted Keynes was rather quiet until shortly before the first train arrived.  Even so most of those assembled seemed more intent on photographing Deltics than paying to travel.  The trains were for the most part around half full all day.  In the morning the platforms, bridges and linesides were lined with photographers; most had gone by lunchtime.

One steam train was in traffic but only as a wedding charter and not available for regular passengers.  Pathing that mean advertised crosses at HK could not be made in the platforms so the down train stopped short of the station until the up ran past it.  That stymied a few personal plans.

The usual families and local visitors seemed to be almost totally absent.  Just about everyone was there for the diesels.  Whether you consider that successful needs to be judged against the numerous visitors I noticed arriving then leaving upon being told it was a diesel gala.  Most of those were young families hoping for a steam train ride.  Did the gala actually bring in more revenue (after hire fees and ancillaries were paid for) compared with a normal fine Spring Saturday?

Several staff admitted they loathed the diesels and were working under protest.  One took the trouble to alert us to the imminent and unique cross of a Deltic and a steam-hauled train at Kingscote with the words "At least there's one proper train running"

I seldom get the opportunity to support British steam preservation.  If the Bluebell repeats its diesel days I shall not bother wasting my money attending.  I can do that, should I wish, on other mixed-traction lines.  I even had the misfortune to suffer diesel haulage on the RH&DR a few days ago for reasons not apparent when three steam locos were on shed and seemed to be available.

Other opinions may be available.

I was there today and the first thing to say is that ALL trains seamed packed with standing room only - on an ordinary weekend in April, even with good weather we rarely get that so while we have undoubtedly put some people off I think that you will find we will make MORE money overall from this weekends Deltic gala than on a ordinary April weekend. Also it wasn't all diesel gricers about today either, there WERE a respectable number of family groups with young children on board too so I take issue with your claim that 'ordinary visitors' were staying away, yes undoubtedly some were upset there was no steam and decided not to travel but it was hardly hordes - and in any case they were replaced by many visitors who did come precisely because of the diesel traction.

The Wedding charter did complicate things somewhat - but as the Deltics have been banned from using the track served by 4&5 for gauge clearance reasons the arrangements put in place to cross trains outside Horsted platforms was the only way of doing it (People who were not there today should note this only occurred once.) It is also worth noting that many visiting STEAM locomotives have fallen foul of the platform 4 & 5 track at Horsted (including pretty much everything of GWR origin) so its not as if the Deltics presented any issues that haven't been encountered before.

As for the attitudes of staff towards the diesels, while yes some are undoubtedly hostile to diesels they are by no means representative of the entire railway. In general our younger volunteers are far less stressed by such matters and even if they prefer steam, they realize that if there is reasonable money to be made from it then why not? I would also point out, that as staff we are expected to be sensitive to the attitudes of the person we are conversing with and as such if you say "I hate the idea of the Bluebell having a diesel gala" there is a very good chance the staff member might wish to sympathies with you comments rather than start an argument. I believe the phrase is "the customer is always right" and it pays not to upset people unnecessarily.

My personal view for what its worth is that the Bluebell should remain a diesel free zone (shunters aside) for most of the year and should not have a 'resident' diesel fleet. However providing the numbers stack up and they produce the same or a grater rate of return as a bog standard weekend does, then I have no problem with bringing in a couple of diesels via our mainline connection and running a widely publicized diesel weekend on the same model as this one. From what I have seen so far this weekend looks to have been a success - and while we need to be mindful of the 'novelty affect' this years event has benefited from - if the Bluebell next year decided to run a 'Western region themed diesel gala with say a Western and a Hymek or perhaps a Scottish region themed one with a 37 & a 26 then I would be 100% behind their decision.

Edited by phil-b259
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

If I'm being critical - it might have been better if there was a 33 and a Hastings unit instead of the second 55.... just a thought

I'd agree Neal - they missed an opportunity there last year when the 33/1 was down to do something with the VEP - but maybe next year they will be able to once all the maintenance that's currently being done on the unit is complete.  Of course it costs money to bring in things by road or rail (we have the Hastings unit, Thumpers etc all available and eminently suitable) and I can understand any railway being budget-conscious though.

I still have no idea why people bring up that "such and such" diesel never ran on the Bluebell when it was open - I doubt if many GWR locos or London Transport pannier tanks made it down there either - let alone something like Tornado - but that fact seems to be entirely lost on some.

While I am not privy to the exact details, maybe when the Bluebell made enquiries as regards one Deltic, maybe the DPS said "Why not have 2 and only pay half price for the 2nd one"

Given this weekends event was ultimately something of a gamble (yes I know our first diesel gala was deemed successful but that was held very early in the year compared to this one, the date of which is far more mainstream in respects of our running season), It makes sense to be cautious when it comes to just how much money we spend on hiring the locos. Variety is good but it can come at a price, particularly if the locos have to be dragged separately (Note in this case one Deltic was simply able to stop off en route to pick up its non main line certified sister before continuing).

Having something like the Hastings unit would solve the rolling stock issue (in the sense that it is very difficult to field more than 2 decent length fully gangwayed trains at the moment - putting ornately restored 4 wheelers or compartment stock with no access to loos is probably not a good idea given how many diesel enthusiasts also seem to like their ales), but probably costs more than a single loco as a result. In any case the DMU option is probably better suited to times when engineering work is taking place which restricts the railway operationally.

While I can understand why people might like a 33 to return to the line (and I have nothing against that happening), my personal preference next time would to go with a 'hydraulic' weekend and look at getting some classic western region locos in. Maybe go for a 'Southern theme after that?

Edited by phil-b259

• RMweb Gold

I take it that Gwiwer can only make it there on the 3 days a year that they have a Diesel Gala, surely there are 362 other days when they are boiling water that you could visit? It's a Diesel Gala for other people in the world, get over it.

Gwiwer lives in Australia. As a quick view of his profile would reveal. It is rather a long trip to make, wouldn't you say, to find an inappropriate form of motive power? Your avatar makes it quite clear what sort of traction you enjoy, and you may well be in the majority these days. But this is the Bluebell, which was an early preservation pioneer - I certainly travelled on a train with a P class tank each end 50 years ago - and has kept diesels at bay for those 50 years.

How the Bluebell makes ends meet is up to the Directors, as moderated - to a limited extent, no doubt - by shareholders/members. They, and you, should not expect change to be met with universal joy.

• Like 2

As I posted on the other thread, I went to the Bluebell on Friday with as friend. We had a great day out and met up with some old time bus friends who really appreciated the Deltics, as indeed did I, having worked on them in the good old steam (heat) days.

As luck would have it, the Bluebell accepted our KESR grade cards for free travel, so we put some money in the donations box; spent well on refreshments, and a load in the shop just before closing time. a splendid day out with fine weather too.

Would I go to another diesel gala there? Maybe a Western event, probably not a Scottish or Southern event. I worked on 33s and 73s but they don't have the same aura as the Deltics.

Well done the Bluebell for a lovely weekend.

Only one slight gripe, not enough staff in the Bessemer Arms at lunchtime resulted in a lengthy queue at the bar!

Deltic alone at the end of the line at the end of the day. 

post-1654-0-80059900-1429389062_thumb.jpg

Edited by roythebus
  • Like 2

The Bluebell's diesel weekend has been well publicised - both throughout the railway fraternity and the local papers - so there really wasn't much excuse for "turning up to realise there was no steam".

Those that really wanted steam haulage, and were restricted to this weekend, had plenty of other railways running steam to choose from if they are that anti-diesel, and let's face it, if you've travelled from Australia then what's another 100 miles?

• RMweb Premium

Gwiwer lives in Australia. As a quick view of his profile would reveal. It is rather a long trip to make, wouldn't you say, to find an inappropriate form of motive power? Your avatar makes it quite clear what sort of traction you enjoy, and you may well be in the majority these days. But this is the Bluebell, which was an early preservation pioneer - I certainly travelled on a train with a P class tank each end 50 years ago - and has kept diesels at bay for those 50 years.

How the Bluebell makes ends meet is up to the Directors, as moderated - to a limited extent, no doubt - by shareholders/members. They, and you, should not expect change to be met with universal joy.

While I appreciate that Gwiwer, living as he does in Australia is restricted to only being able to visit on certain dates - but that does not qualify him or anyone else to tell the Bluebell that their decision to hold ONE diesel weekend in the whole of 2015 is wrong simply because they do not like diesel traction. Naturally Gwiwer is disappointed that he was unable to experience steam on this occasion due to the specific weekend chosen but the fact remains that over the other 48 odd* weekends in 2015, the Bluebell is running this year the service trains WILL be steam hauled. This compares favourably with many other heritage railways which have resident diesel fleets (something the Bluebell Membership has quite clearly stated its opposition to - except for shunters) who run scheduled diesel services on a regular basis.

Quite clearly it is impractical to ask every single potential visitor their travel pattens a year in advance so as to guarantee not upsetting them by scheduling a diesel weekend when they might wish to visit so inevitably some people will be disappointed. You also need to factor in the fact that with over 100 other Heritage Railways organising galas of some description, picking a suitable weekend where there are not too many other railway sites competing for enthusiasts is difficult enough without the need to try and satisfy everyones desires.

* 48 I think - Its not 52 this year due to various engineering shutdowns

Edited by phil-b259

Well I've been to the Bluebell today, I went yesterday too and I'm taking the family with me there tomorrow completing my 3 visits to the Bluebell this year. Gwiwer I think is simply viewing the day somewhat annoyed that there was no steam service and is determined to try and (wrongly) convince people who were not there that it was not a success??

THE ANSWER IS IT HAS BEEN A GREAT SUCCESS!!!!.

I think his comments today are very misleading and I would have to agree wholeheartedly with Brian Daniels' and others comments above.

I actually spoke to quite a few Bluebell personnel at the end of the day today at both Sheffield Park & Horsted Keynes and they were really pleased with the amount of visitor numbers and said it had been a great success.

Virtually every train I saw and travelled on was full & standing. The first service from East Grinstead this morning was rammed full on arrival at Horsted Keynes. I particularly like taking lineside photographs but bought a £20 rover ticket each day (and tomorrow it will be a family ticket!) to experience a bit of Deltic haulage too so please don't tarnish all photographers with a lack of contribution image. I saw quite a number of people linesiding this morning at Sharpthorne tunnel travelling on the trains later in the day like me just to prove that point. There will naturally be some who just go for photographs but that will happen on steam days too. In fact it was so full when I arrived at Sheffield Park around 12.30pm for lunch there was a slow moving queue of about 30 people for hot food at the Bessemer Arms the back of which was nearly on the platform - it was so long I had to give up. I went back 15 minutes later and it was virtually still the same, even the queue for a beer was too long......but not a problem - it was just great to see so many people at a preserved railway.

The Bluebell will have made a lot of money these last 3 days which will be ploughed back in and all the Diesel fans have really enjoyed it too. We all appreciate the Bluebell is essentially a steam railway but to help entertain people they must always try to look for new ways and I applaud them for doing just that.

Edited by deltic17