Hornby Railroad R3174 Silver Jubilee Train Pack

andyman7

I was in Hamleys yesterday and saw these on the shelf. I had no idea they were being made and a web search revealed absolutely nothing at all anywhere (even on the Hornby website). At £160 for Railroad spec items they're not cheap by traditional standards, but given current ebay prices for previous runs of the Staniers (!) in faux Silver Jubilee LNER finish (and for silver/grey A4s) they're worth knowing about.

According to the Hornby rep, they are a Concessions-only release and apparently some months overdue - I think he would rather have had them in a month ago rather than 2 Jan!

post-549-0-93449300-1388769151.jpg

The loco looks quite good, but those coaches? They look like the old LMS Staniers Hornby puts in many of its train packs.

They are, Hornby keep churning them out as Silver Jubilee stock. Would be nice to have a proper rake of them.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Shame really, this old regurgitated set looks a bit weak compared with the sets that Bachmann are releasing.

But only to the cognoscenti. It has a silver sheen that will make far more impression on dads and lads than any amount of critically accurate detailing on a better model. Not much for RMwebbers to shout about - but I bet it sells.

I have to admit to being confused by the details in the Hornby newsletter email. Apparently the set consists of "the LNER A4 Class 'Silver Fox' 2512, two RailRoad LNER Mk2 3rd Class Parlour coaches and a RailRoad LNER 1st Class Brake coach."

I don't recall ever hearing of Mark 2 coaches under LNER ownership...

Why don't they use their 'Railroad' LNER teaks painted silver. At least on their corridor side they would be a better approximation for the Silver Jubilee coaches.

LMS coaches painted silver are just silly, yet Hornby have been doing this for years. Indeed with the number of 'railroad'/trainset Silver Jubilees, they would probably have made a return on tooling up a short set of 3 articulated coaches...

Take a good look at the Loco it has the "swing" Cartazzi truck as the 1980's and earlier Tender Drive locos, perhaps its a 2014 Spec Tender Drive version :jester:

£160 I wouldnt give Sixteen pence for it :no: :no: beyond belief :laugh:

No its not! The pic on the website is clearly a CGI, possibly from an earlier release. the set as pictures by th OP is the modern railroad version.

Definitely the modern Railroad version ala the earlier Peregrine and Falcon garter blue models, and the recent release of the Mallard train set. I don't understand the thinking behind this one: as a proper train pack with a fully detailed Silver King/Fox/Link etc it would have been a sell out, so to release this frankly mysterious botch potch of tooling defies logic.

I think the time must be coming for one of the gresley articulated sets, and the beavertail to be tooled up soon, no? Rather than using ex-LMS coaches…? If done to their new Mk1's standard (which in my view IS excellent quality when compared to its price) then Hornby would have a winner, from modellers and train set fans alike.

As it stands this will probably sell with collectors but it has limited value beyond that and the train set market. Some might say that's a good thing, and it'll sell - I agree if only for the future of Hornby. It is a pity this set wasn't a bit more forward thinking, tis all.

It is the modern Railroad A4. One thing I've noticed is that back in Margte days, when Hornby first used their pseudo-Staniers as LNER Silver Jubilee coaches they fitted them with Gresley bogies, but the Chinese made ones have kept the standard bogies. The whole set is obviously more pastiche than accurate set but as others have said it will probably find a ready audience.

Although only just promoted in their newsletter it's actually been on the website for a while, but I am reliably informed it is not for general distribution - just the website and concessions. I've seen it in WHSmith/Modelzone, which means use of one of the regular 20% off vouchers makes it £128. Given the price that any silver/grey A4 and those silver Staniers fetch on ebay, that isn't too bad.

• RMweb Gold

Take a good look at the Loco it has the "swing" Cartazzi truck as the 1980's and earlier Tender Drive locos, perhaps its a 2014 Spec Tender Drive version :jester:

£160 I wouldnt give Sixteen pence for it :no: :no: beyond belief :laugh:

There won't be any more tender drives unless they design a new one.

The reason Hornby stopped making them was nothing to do with pleasing us, they just couldn't pass the EU supression regs when they were tightened up.

John

It is no worse than Hornby-Dublo producing their Stanier coaches as D21 Corridor coaches in BR WR chocolate and cream or selling their EDP Silver King train set with D12 Stanier coaches in crimson and cream. If the Hornby Silver Jubilee set sells well perhaps Hornby will consider producing a matching beaver tail observation coach. Tri-ang's silver Transcontinental observation car sold well as did Hornby's Devon Belle observation car so the beaver tale observation car should be popular as well.

Golden Age models are producing a Silver Jubilee set and if these sell well Hornby could produce a cheaper authentic set.

Archived