Windley, Derbyshire - All Change (again!)

Allegheny1600

Hello all,

I've decided to be brave or reckless and post on here about my proposed new layout.

I have to admit that I'm wary of doing so as I'm a bit of a serial layout starter but rarely get beyond the planning stage. Let's see how this goes, then!

Firstly, I'm having another bash at 4mm scale using 18.83mm track gauge. There is a sound reason for this, I have three locos already converted that were done for my previous attempt at re-building "Dent in P4" and I can quite reasonably run these on the MMRS layout "Slattocks Jct". Plus having been a H0 scale modeller for very many years, I can't run 4mm stock on H0 scale track as for me, it's wrong! Kudos to those who aren't bothered by such things, I sort of wish I wasn't but I am!

Anyway, to Windley.

In reality this is a small village to the north-west of Duffield (Daffield, locally!) Derbyshire, not really in the Peak district 'proper', rather in the foothills of the Peak. It's actually just off the route of the old Wirksworth branch now the Ecclesbourne Valley Railway. Probably due to the proximity of this line, Windley never had a railway (to my knowledge) and may well have been too small to even justify a halt. In the mid to late 1800's of course, people simply walked to wherever the railway line was.

This is it's location: http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=53.001535~-1.537417&lvl=13&dir=0&sty=r&eo=0&form=LMLTCC

In my mind, there were quarries at Muggingtonlane End and the owners wanted to be ably to transport their product via the Midland Railway. To this end, they constructed a horse drawn waggon-way down the hill towards Windley. The aim was to meet and exchange with the Midland Railway just beyond Windley.

Unfortunately they found that their horses didn't have the stamina to draw the heavy stone wagons much beyond the bottom of the hill and also were running out of funds. Accordingly, they petitioned the Midland Railway to build a mile long branch from the main branch.

As the Wirksworth branch was laid out as a possible alternative route up towards Rowsley, see: http://www.e-v-r.com/linehistory/ the Midland decided this would be beneficial as it would prevent exchange traffic interfering with operations on the 'main-line'. Later, the Hingley estates also started using Windley as the point where they could load timber for onwards transport.

So it was that a very typically 'Midland' station was laid out just to the west of Gunhills Lane and alongside the track that leads to Corkley Farm.

My proposed layout will be set in the mid to late sixties using green diesels.

I have a space of approximately 9' x 7' to devote to this project but my baseboards will have to be no more than about 18" width. I will presently finish off my initial draft for a track plan and post that for perusal.

Finally, why Windley?

Simple! My parents used to own and live in a little cottage just off the above mentioned farm track! I have only vague memories of this as we left here when I was about 5 or 6 but I do remember my dad struggling to drive his Jag up the track in winter snow!

Again, I can't promise I will get very far with this project but I do hope my enthusiasm keeps up.

Cheers,

John E.

Edit: "new" Windley now starts here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/80576-windley-derbyshire-all-change/?p=3395531

Edited by Allegheny1600
  • Like 7

Great stuff John and I'm honored to be the first to say GO FOR IT YOUNG MAN, as with all my projects some get finished and some don't, either way if it makes you happy and you enjoy what your doing then that's half way there.

Looking forward to the track plan and beyond.

Andy :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Hi John. The rationale sounds good and the Lunesters will pester you to get it "finished"!!

At least it's better than watching all the S&C/Midland layouts that are underway/planned.

Look forward to the track plan. And welcome back from H0.

Jeff

Found it, via your signature link, look forward to progress.

Rob

edit; Green diesels, 18" wide sections, shunting and good DCC sound would be excellent! I don't think sound works so well with steam, all though it may be ok with shunting sounds...

Edited by robmcg

Surely it's "Daffield" only to the posh folks what live on Broadway. The rest of us peasants still call it Duffield :nono:  Good luck with the project.

Edit p.s. Do you know that there is a real working sand quarry on Mercaston Lane?

Edited by Poor Old Bruce
  • Like 1

Hi all,

Many, many thanks for all the interest - it really is most encouraging. I will, I MUST keep it up!!!

Surely it's "Daffield" only to the posh folks what live on Broadway. The rest of us peasants still call it Duffield :nono:  Good luck with the project.

Edit p.s. Do you know that there is a real working sand quarry on Mercaston Lane?

Hiya PoB,

Yes I guess you're right! I can only remember my folks taking the mick out of them what spoke like that!!!

Yes it was the proximity of the quarry on Mercaston Lane and the Tarmac facility in Mugginton that led me to dream up a stone quarry near here! Can't be too implausible? Didn't a mutual good friend (Phil T.) work around here?

Another one to follow, looks very interesting, are you going to include the quarry you mention

Hiya BillyB,

Thanks for the interest, unfortunately I can only just give space over to a loading area, no way have I got room for the quarry, I only wish I had!

Cheers all,

John E.

• RMweb Premium

Yes it was the proximity of the quarry on Mercaston Lane and the Tarmac facility in Mugginton that led me to dream up a stone quarry near here! Can't be too implausible? Didn't a mutual good friend (Phil T.) work around here?

Just up the road at 'Charcon' - working on the maintenance of the machinery producing concrete slabs and kerbs and as long as nothing broke down he had time for modelling or sleeping on the night shift!

If I have copied the link correctly this should be the site

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ll=53.007392,-1.611128&spn=0.004164,0.012392&t=h&z=17

Mike

• Like 2

Hi all,

Many, many thanks for all the interest - it really is most encouraging. I will, I MUST keep it up!!!

Hiya PoB,

Yes I guess you're right! I can only remember my folks taking the mick out of them what spoke like that!!!

Hiya BillyB,

Thanks for the interest, unfortunately I can only just give space over to a loading area, no way have I got room for the quarry, I only wish I had!

Cheers all,

John E.

John

I have just had to take stock of where my plan was going, for a first attempt I was trying to do to much, my quarry as had to go but may be able to keep a loading area.

I shall be calling by regularly to see how things are going and hopefully pick up a few tips. I  don't know where I would be without all the Lunesters on here.

Just up the road at 'Charcon' - working on the maintenance of the machinery producing concrete slabs and kerbs and as long as nothing broke down he had time for modelling or sleeping on the night shift!

If I have copied the link correctly this should be the site

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ll=53.007392,-1.611128&spn=0.004164,0.012392&t=h&z=17

Mike

Don't believe all Mike says, I just worked 'til the job was done and took all my teabreaks in one go afterwards!!. Must admit model production went down when they went onto one shift and didn't need me any longer on nightshift. My redundancy payout enabled me to buy Port Wynnstay Models though so it wasn't all bad.

Go for it John, mind I would build it as narrow gauge quarry line extended to meet the Midland branch, but that's just me! 

Phil T.

Edited by Phil Traxson
  • Like 1

I thought I'd just show on here a little of the background work that I've been doing in order to help this come to fruition, sometimes my background work takes place at a glacial pace and if it's too slow, the main project gets held up & enthusiasm dies.

I do like the look of wooden sleeper track so having a few years ago decided that my British work had to be in P4 (I did heartily consider EM too!), I wanted to find a way of semi mass producing my track. After much thought and a couple of false attempts, I built this jig to suit C&L 18" lengths of rail.;

post-6892-0-79565300-1388953834.jpg

Excuse the electric heater visible below the workbench, it was jolly cold last night!

And in close up;

post-6892-0-21183600-1388953854.jpg

The jig is simply a piece of contiboard that was roughened up so a plastic weld type of glue would adhere, I then transferred measurements of a 60' panel of track across from my S4 handbook (twice!), cut up some strips of 20 thou plasticard, ONE strip of the same for the edging of the timbers and over the course of a week or two, glued it all together.

I must admit that it's not perfect as I messed up the sleeper gap between the two 60' panels, represented by a cut in the head of the rail as seen here;

post-6892-0-83217500-1388954102.jpg

I find it quite therapeutic threading the chairs onto the rail lengths, if you file a small taper onto the rail ends, it's really easy! Once both rails are done, remembering to put opposite keyed chairs adjacent to where the central fish-plates will be, it's then time to fill the jig with sleepers;

post-6892-0-35543600-1388954650.jpg

post-6892-0-55604000-1388954670.jpg

Now, we're ready to glue the first rail down, with the keys spaced roughly into the correct positions. I had already marked the approximate rail position on the jig and kept everything straight with the steel rule.

Having done the first rail, we now need to fasten the second and here is where we must use an accurate gauge. Mine is an Exactoscale roller type gauge but I could sure use a couple of the triangular type too.

However, a problem becomes apparent here!

post-6892-0-69641300-1388954958.jpg

Oh dear me!!!

My first rail was glued down too close to the centre-line of the sleepers and is pushing the second rail too close to the opposite end of the sleepers.

post-6892-0-47451300-1388955084.jpg

post-6892-0-50271600-1388955097_thumb.jpg

Well, I'll just use this first test piece to lengthen my P4 test track but, ignoring the offset nature of the track, I'm quite happy with this - next time, I'll get it right!

Cheers for now,

John E.

• Like 4

just dug up this highly technical photo showing the approved method of random sleeper spacing... and a wagon used rather unsuccessfully as a gauging tool,  and below it the yard duty of A4 turning...

post-7929-0-81977100-1388956491.jpg

post-7929-0-34175500-1388956649_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

After a bit more work on 'Anyrail', I've completed my trackplan!

WHAT!!! A P4 plan done in 'Anyrail'???

Well, . . yes! I can just deal with this program, I cannot make any sense of Templot (yet!), until I do so though, I don't really know how I'm going to plot those curved points properly!

As to the regular L/H & R/H points, well they are drawn out as Roco 150 points and are just over 9" long, which seems to be about the length of a B6 point?

I have a couple of those curved points and they are very long, hopefully fine to represent their P4 equivalent.

What dust think, chaps?

post-6892-0-15389900-1388978275.jpg

Cheers,

John E.

• Like 5

Hi John, nice track work mate, as you say get it in the middle and it will be fine.

Have you ever seen the Layout Linfit West, I saw it at a Manchester Show in 2008 and had the stone hopper against the backscene and actually loading the wagons from a pot of ballast and a spoon through a hole in the back scene, he then brought out the wagons, and emptied them back into the pot in the fiddle yard.

post-9335-0-43063800-1389001849_thumb.jpg

Bodge :sungum:

• Like 10

Hi Andy,

Now that's nice! I might have seen that layout, the name sounds vaguely familiar but, . . what was I 'into' 5 years ago? I haven't a clue!

I would have still admired any layout that took my interest though, in any scale, era etc and this would have definitely got my attention.

Hi John,

If you ask on the Templot Club forum and attach your AnyRail plan (.any file), you will very likely get some help in creating a Templot version: http://85a.co.uk/forum/

Martin.

Wow! Thanks Martin, that would be great if someone could!

Thanks for the info, I'll get over there sometime.

Cheers,

John E.

Edited by Allegheny1600

• RMweb Premium

Hi John, nice track work mate, as you say get it in the middle and it will be fine.

Have you ever seen the Layout Linfit West, I saw it at a Manchester Show in 2008 and had the stone hopper against the backscene and actually loading the wagons from a pot of ballast and a spoon through a hole in the back scene, he then brought out the wagons, and emptied them back into the pot in the fiddle yard.

attachicon.gif2007_10040044.JPG

Bodge :sungum:

Andy, what particularly strikes me about that photo isn't the layout. It's one of the few pictures I've seen where there are actually YOUNG people looking at a layout. In most photos it's as if adults weren't allowed in until they reach the age of 50!!

John, lovely work, Anyrail, Templot or whatever. At the end of the day what matters is that you've enjoyed yourself and built something you're proud of.

Jeff

Yes Jeff, I see what you mean, and I think it was the fact that they went in under the hopper empty and came out full that intrigued them, but your right, not enough youngsters these days at shows or in Clubs.

And :sungum:

This thread is getting to be rather like a reunion of the Mickleover MRG John!

Will follow your layout with interest.

But do you really need a passenger station there as well John?. Couldn't you just model a short freight-only branch from Hazelwood. This would also allow you to have more space for sidings for the more interesting freight movements.

You could still run some passenger stock though, possibly on test from Derby C&W.

Regards,

Peter

Edited by Western Sunset