Railway & Modelling Obituaries

John Snell

Nedrahn

I've just read elsewhere that John Snell has died. Heritage sector enthusiasts surely know of him from his early Talyllyn connections and as the former General Manager of the Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch Railway, where he did a lot of good, guiding the railway through a troubled period. After he retired he remained close to the railway in Dymchurch (literally - his house was near the line). 

Some of you might question why I should report this here, but one could argue that Howey's RHDR was the largest model railway set in the world! Anyway, there are enough grasping scumbags in the world. I have no problem with honouring one of the good guys.

John Snell deserves to be remembered here as a historian, excellent photographer and a passionate follower of the steam locomotive all over the world.  His album "Mixed Gauges" serves as a tribute to the high standard of his photographic compositions.

Aside from being one of the founding lights of the Talyllyn (firing on its first train) and his RHDR connection (already noted), he also favoured the Somerset & Dorset.  However his interests went well beyond this country, and he was one of the group who initiated meetings of the Continental Railway Circle.

I first knew of him from through the series of little Continental Handbooks published by Ian Allan in the 'sixties.  John authored the book on France (WJK (Keith) Davies West Germany and Trevor Rowe Spain & Portugal).  Such was (and remains) the pariochial interests of railway enthusiasm in this country that these books ended up an early example of "remaindering" - yet they remain comprehensive, concise and readable accounts of the railways of those countries at the time of publication and are worth tracking down even today.

John was born in Fiji in 1932.  His photographs have been bequeathed to the Kidderminster Railway Museum.

• RMweb Gold

Received a letter today from the Romney, Hythe & Dymchurch Light Railway Company advising that John Snell's funeral will take place at Hawkinge Crematorium (just outside Folkestone) on Tuesday 21st January at 2.00pm.

Donations in John's memory can be sent to the Romney Hythe & Dymchurch Railway Association at New Romney Station, New Romney, Kent TN28 8PL

After the service the railway have arranged for refreshments at the Heywood Buffet at New Romney Station.

Keith

Archived