Peak 45015

Mikeym

....a lot of people have absolutly no idea how difficult it is to return something back to life....

Agreed, but I ain't one of 'em.

My avatar pic is a single handed restoration and you can see more in the weblink below.

I know it ain't the same as 45015 - but try getting a new rear wheel brake drum for a 1969 Leyland Tigercub,

Proportionally as difficult for a single owner and financer ......... but 'where there's a will' etc etc

• RMweb Gold

Agreed, but I ain't one of 'em.

My avatar pic is a single handed restoration and you can see more in the weblink below.

I know it ain't the same as 45015 - but try getting a new rear wheel brake drum for a 1969 Leyland Tigercub,

Proportionally as difficult for a single owner and financer ......... but 'where there's a will' etc etc

Couldnt agree more andy, and as you are finding, common simple every day parts are the hardest to find, i dread to think how difficult it was to get things like new windows frames and bezels for your machine (more a tiger fan myself though ;) )

Diesel preservation is entering a critical phase now, just ask any 37 owner how they plan to get replacement brake cylinders, or a 50 owner getting a new KV50 load regulator........none of those lingering around any more, the only answer is build your own....

For all the locos you see running today there is probably a 3rd more that got preserved and then cut......

can of wroms supaned.....good post.....flying scotsman rings true here!

Edited by pheaton

Maybe it's like in the book/film Christine and all it needs is to be pushed backwards and it'll re-build itself!! :jester:

But seriously, and with rose-tinted glasses taken off, had this machine been scrapped @1990 like the others then no one would miss it. But for those of us who love peaks, and will realistically never have the chance to own or part own one, seeing this loco after more than 25 years after being withdrawn finally being scrapped makes me very sad (if not a little angry).

I wonder how many more diesels that have been 'preserved' with the best of intensions will end up sharing a similar, if less protracted fate?

It reminds me of XN728, better known as 'that fighter jet that you could see from the A1' which was a rare English Electric Lightning F2A. Even I conceded at the end much as it pains me to say, that the kindest thing to do was to break it up.

RIP in advance 45015.

Ps. I have plenty of room in my garden for a cab or two!

Yes you could spend a lottery win on 45015 and yes you will get your far share of well done's and handshakes but 1 to 2 years later you will find that nobody want's to know and she's a big girl to move around from railway to railway. Been there and got the t-shirt. A big loco like her is a full time job if there is only a small team of you. Plus having money doesn't solve everything, in a word "Ixion"

• Like 1

Following 45059s post, it might be worth me interjecting with the fact I belong to a Preservation Group that did indeed send our pride and joy to the knacker's.

We gained much derision at the time, as YouTube comments prove it's often those with little knowledge who shout loudest, but we believed what we were doing was in the long term of overriding benefit to the constitution we run the Group by.

After all that rigmarole we ended up with a mainline registered loco, earning it's keep on the "big" railway and had enough to buy another for us to tinker with. Result.

My retort to those in opposition to selling our first loco was simple, match the scrappies price, it's yours, good luck.

Peak fifteen is somewhat different, but I'm afraid I can remember posts on Preserved Diesels when the owner set out his grand plan. All of which has turned to ferrous oxide and legal bills it seems.

C6T.

• Like 5

Sorry but I know nothing at all about them,  I followed your link to the Derby Sulzers site and found this text

"Roumania 1959, in comparison to the views above and below this is an example of the 12LDA28 power unit installed into one of the early Roumanian CFR 060DA class locomotives. These would deliver 2,100hp and many would operated into the 21st Century."

In between the two references to 45 /46 then just did an image search.

I thought it was worth posting to save anyone else who was curious the trouble but phrased it as a question as I wasn't exactly sure.

45015 is a sad sight,   I'd like to see it cosmetically restored,  maybe living with a couple of coachs in a rich enthusiasts garden.  Imagine the layout you could build inside :D

As it wouldn't ever need to turn a wheel again it could have the preservation worlds worst 1CO bogies fitted if the ones it's currently sat on would be useful for others.

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps you could start another thread 298, discussing the merits of saving her and the likelyhood of such a thing happening?

I'm guessing his tongue was firmly planted in his cheek with his post.

But then I think all "Brians" should be scrapped......I had a moped with more power.

• Like 1

Went to "pay my respects" this morning.....

Such a shame.....

attachicon.gif20140207_122433-1.jpg

attachicon.gif20140207_122736.jpg

attachicon.gif20140207_122825.jpg

attachicon.gif20140207_123012.jpg

attachicon.gif20140207_123253.jpg

It seems though that the sun does sometimes shine on the righteous.....

attachicon.gif20140207_124316.jpg

Cheers.

Sean.

Well..............

Even if there is a 'way' then the 'will' would have to be very determined indeed.................

Ironically, she was still generating interest. Just as I set off in the car having taken these images, another chap on a cycle turned up just to have a look at the old girl over the parapet.

Sadly, (and perhaps part of the reasons she is in the state she's in), I couldn't drive up to the station to view the other locomotives on site as there appears to be no vehicular access to the station and the car park 1/2 mile away was gated off.

I feel there's little chance of highlighting 015s plight when it is so difficult to get to see her. Admittedly, it's a weekday in winter, but I was still left feeling disappointed not to be able to see some of the other stock at the railway.

Cheers.

Sean.

They said that about the Duke of Gloucester and some were thinking that about the Scotsman. :imsohappy:

Indeed. However, a steam locomotive is WAY much simpler in construction, particularly the bits that make it move, than an infernal combustion locomotive; even 1950s technology like Peaks...

Indeed. However, a steam locomotive is WAY much simpler in construction, particularly the bits that make it move, than an infernal combustion locomotive; even 1950s technology like Peaks...

Sorry I was being sarcastic, it didn't really come through in the written post though.