Class 143 First Great Western

charliepetty

I'm sure you'll do a cracking job as usual - i'll also second Exmouth/Paignton

(Random thought - I think on the real ones it won't be a different one each end due to the reversal, suspect it will say "Exmouth" both ends for instance?)

Edited by Glorious NSE

As a poor soul who has to work on these machines, I'd like to order one. Is there a fought eta and price as yet?

I saw a Northern 144 in my local model shop the other day, one word stunning !

Great Western

I concure with Exmouth/Paignton and whatever the Bristol lot want! :angel:

A quick question-

If it is possible to remove them from the model easily would it be possible for the destinations to be made available as a spare?

If they are difficult to remove then it wouldnt be worth it.

I concure with Exmouth/Paignton and whatever the Bristol lot want! :angel:

A quick question-

If it is possible to remove them from the model easily would it be possible for the destinations to be made available as a spare?

If they are difficult to remove then it wouldnt be worth it.

The Blinds are tampo printed on the Inside of the Glazing, sorry.  Charlie

Moved from Arriva Wales 143 thread. 

Godfrey,

Yes they do run to Barnstaple, often in pairs even during off peak hours!

Under Wessex trains they were not permitted up the Barnstaple Branch but then they Bristol based and didn't venture beyond Taunton all that often. Having said that also under Wessex trains one 143 did make it all the way to Penzance, I think having started from Bristol, where it gained a Kernow flag car sticker on one cab which remained for a few years possible up until it was refurbished

Also (off topic slightly) but it appears 142001 still carries it Devon sticker on one end in service with Northern!

I have been on 143620 from Plymouth to Penzance on the 1114  service (it was a 150 from Bristol which failed at Exeter and was replaced with the 143) on Sunday 22 November 2009 where we caught the last SWT service from Penzance back to Plymouth with 158886.

Quite a good day out.

Edit, they do indeed go to Barnstaple normally 2 together but single units do get used up there occasionally.

Example-

PM256 143621-

0823 Paignton-Exmouth

0953 Exmouth-Barnstaple

1143 Barnstaple-Exmouth

1323 Exmouth-Paignton.

This is a snippet of the diagram to show that single 143 do go to Barnstaple.

Edited by royaloak

The Blinds are tampo printed on the Inside of the Glazing, sorry.  Charlie

Okay thanks.

I was just thinking, it shows how good the models are that all we can try and 'improve' is the destinations!

I had a go at stratching the destination blinds on my 144 when I had the top off to fit dcc sound. The blind comes away in bits and can be done gently without damaging the window. I put replacements on and while not 100% authentic they show somewhere closer to where my layout is based.

Hope that helps.

It does thanks but I think I will be doing some proper modelling on some cheaper stuff before I touch a 143 or 144, I am from the Lima generation so these new models are just a little bit more complicated/delicate than I am used to and I am not particularly confident in disassembling them yet.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

As someone who has worked these around Bristol, I would be very happy to see Devon destinations on the blinds. :sungum: . However, a different one at each end is acceptable on a model. I know some will argue for the same at each end, but my argument is that if you are looking at the back of the train to see where it's going, you've missed it.(platform 1 at BTM accepted) So how about Bristol temple Meads-Avonmouth(or Severn Beach) or Bristol Parkway-Weston super Mare, or even Cardiff-Exeter St Davids, 2C77 13:00 off Cardiff was always a 143 until they were moved away from Bristol. As a matter of interest, how easy is it to get in and change them yourself.

edit: Just read how they are done.

How about a non-multi notice on one end?

Edited by JZ

As someone who has worked these around Bristol, I would be very happy to see Devon destinations on the blinds. :sungum: . However, a different one at each end is acceptable on a model. I know some will argue for the same at each end, but my argument is that if you are looking at the back of the train to see where it's going, you've missed it.(platform 1 at BTM accepted) So how about Bristol temple Meads-Avonmouth(or Severn Beach) or Bristol Parkway-Weston super Mare, or even Cardiff-Exeter St Davids, 2C77 13:00 off Cardiff was always a 143 until they were moved away from Bristol. As a matter of interest, how easy is it to get in and change them yourself.

If you're standing at Exeter St Davids though, the front of the train will become the back of the train...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Samples of the Livery artwork is progressing, see attached:

Finalising the First Great Western liveries, now the next batch of 144s have been shipped!

We have as follows:

First Great Western:

143618  DMS Car (No Toilet) 55659  DMSL Car (With Toilet) 55684

DMS Destination Blind:   Paignton   (White with black lettering)

DMSL Destination Blind:   Exmouth  (White with black lettering)

143619  DMS Car (No Toilet) 55660  DMSL Car (With Toilet) 55685

DMS Destination Blind:   Bristol TM   (Black with yellow lettering)

DMSL Destination Blind:  Severn Beach  (White with black lettering)

HOPE YOUR HAPPY!

Charlie

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Finalising the First Great Western liveries, now the next batch of 144s have been shipped!

We have as follows:

First Great Western:

143618  DMS Car (No Toilet) 55659  DMSL Car (With Toilet) 55684

143619  DMS Car (No Toilet) 55660  DMSL Car (With Toilet) 55685

Are the vehicle numbers correct? I don't have a book to hand to check, but shouldn't the numbers of each type of car go up in twos (even or odd)?

There were 25 Class 143 built and they were originally numbered 143 001 to 143 025 and were renumbered 143 601 to143 625 in the early 1990s.   The DMS numbers have not changed, they start at 55642 (143 601) and run sequentially to 55666 (143 625), DMSL numbers have also not changed, they start at 55667 (143 601 and run sequentially to 55691 (143 625).  It can be seen that the DMS and DMSL have separate number blocks but that they differ by 25 i.e. the number of sets built.

Therefore to answer your 2 questions;

1. Are the numbers correct - YES

2. Shouldn't the numbers of each type of car go up in twos? - NO.

John

• RMweb Premium

There were 25 Class 143 built and they were originally numbered 143 001 to 143 025 and were renumbered 143 601 to143 625 in the early 1990s.   The DMS numbers have not changed, they start at 55642 (143 601) and run sequentially to 55666 (143 625), DMSL numbers have also not changed, they start at 55667 (143 601 and run sequentially to 55691 (143 625).  It can be seen that the DMS and DMSL have separate number blocks but that they differ by 25 i.e. the number of sets built.

Therefore to answer your 2 questions;

1. Are the numbers correct - YES

2. Shouldn't the numbers of each type of car go up in twos? - NO.

John

2 FGW sets (603 and 617) and 2 ATW sets (602 and 610 spring to mind but not 100% sure on those) have had swapped DMSL coaches and have been as they are now for many years, possibly reformed as far back as regional railways days maybe as a result of collision damage or one coach from each set suffering a major failure resulting in a hybrid being formed which as never been corrected once all vehicles were returned to service.

And of course both 143613 under Wessex Trains and 143615 under Valley Lines both suffered terminal fires about 10 years ago now and have been scrapped s a result.

Dale

Edited by dale159

• 4 weeks later...