Class 143 First Great Western

charliepetty

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Orders are being taken for January Delivery on the FGW Class 143, no money taken until despatch.

Charlie,

Is it best to pre-order through the Realtrack Website?

When I put the 2 FGW units in the basket the postage is doubled from £6 for one to £12 for both, will there be postage discounts for buying more than one unit?

Thanks

Dale

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

According to China, samples of Class 143 are imminent (Chinese Speak for 5 years), the exact words were 'Are youse sample soon' In other words on sale for 2016!    'Time will tell'

The First Great Western livery has been a challenge as the graduated colours on the bodyshell are very complicated, fingers crossed here.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Samples of the First Great Western Class 143 arrived yesterday, these are for checking and approval.

Now the good news:  The graduated colour on the body shell is spot on! this complicated livery is now cracked.  All we need now is to print on the body shell, the look on my face!  'Lusty Glaze'

ITS GETTING NEARER!!!!!

Charlie

• Like 3

Samples of the First Great Western Class 143 arrived yesterday, these are for checking and approval.

Now the good news:  The graduated colour on the body shell is spot on! this complicated livery is now cracked.  All we need now is to print on the body shell, the look on my face!  'Lusty Glaze'

ITS GETTING NEARER!!!!!

Charlie

As the saying goes "pics or it didn't happen" ;)

ITS GETTING NEARER!!!!!

Charlie

Any Pics Charlie? I'm looking forward to this one alright, and if you can crack the Complicated but fine West Fleet Local Lines livery it'll be a nock to the other two who say it can't be done. Nothings impossible!

Hello Charlie, 

Accidentally stumbled into this thread and I wish I hadn't now, you're going to cost me £140 now you b*stard!  :jester:

The 144's were superb so I can't wait to see one of these. I want to pre-order, but I just want to check that it's definitely when they're dispatched that the money is taken? And also, any chance of a warning about one week in advance of when the money will be taken/the unit dispatched? I'd like to prepare my wallet for the agony first!  :mosking:  

Thanks in advance! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Really looking forward to these, especially after the fantastic 144s! I seem to remember that 619 is one of Charlie's releases - funny how the colours of the destination sheets vary from one unit to another. Weathering will be a real challenge.

Godfrey

post-138-0-66436900-1406628884_thumb.jpg

post-138-0-87651200-1406628902_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

NOTE The graduated blue body colour, lighter at the top, darker at the bottom!

That took a bit of time to get that correct,  happy with the sample here though.    Charlie

One or ours has the different blinds too!  I can see complaints here!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by charliepetty

If you order Online:  Then E.Mail after with that request I will add it to your order.   Not giving ANY promises for Christmas, our plan if production time permits, is to rush in a small batch for the

NEC in Birmingham in November, then possibly have the rest 4 weeks later. This might not happen though, as the Chinese say: Youse soon, no ploblem, hopfuly Clistmouse.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Here is the other destination blind combination on 612 - black letters on a white background. Photos taken at Exeter St Davids last Wednesday whilst making a very cheap day return  journey from Axminster to Plymouth.  I presume Charlie that opening window hoppers are extra?

Godfrey ( purveyor of fine marmalade)

post-138-0-66036600-1406665788_thumb.jpg

If our models were as good as your marmalade.

PPS If you have anything to record 'ANY' passenger announcements on the 143s, that would be good, non specific ones though that mention FGW in name but no destimations. IE Welcome aboard this First Great Western Service, please take note of the passenger safety notices by the doorway!    OR something similar.

Charlie

post-3411-0-03901700-1406666903_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

post-11362-0-13108500-1406815024_thumb.jpg

Bit blurry as I zoomed in to take it and have cropped it on the computer.

143619 pictured at Exeter Central this morning now sporting this silver window frame on 55685 right next to the toilet, which has appeared in the last 10 days or so.

Also 143603 looks to have been virtually repainted in local lines livery in the last few weeks, It was looking very faded until recently but now is as shiny as it was when it was first painted like that, I'm surprised it wasn't repainted plain blue like the 150/1s and 153s 329/361/369.

Dale

• Like 1

The auto announcer files will be the same as the west fleet 15x. They haven't been changed since alpine/wales and borders/wales and west and still feature announcements for all of these. The generic doors/safety announcement sounds regularly still. Train crew have been briefed with the correct way to deliver the safety announcement if they bother. 

143 603 has recently been reliveried at SPM during planned level five maintenance. The window frame is as supplied by unipart - we don't often have time to paint stuff like that, according to ravers it had a window and frame recently.

I'd still like to see the non multi label modelled by someone soon. I changed the electrical box on the BSI and removed it...

Matt

SPM, the home of the west fleet.

Edited by modfather

Try jz on this forum... if not I can't guarantee having a 143 to hand in Bristol, but I can try and find either someone who can or maybe get you a contact to visit.

The blinds changed colour during the relay mod package, where mors smitt relays have been fitted instead of shrack or stpi/ped types. The original blinds fitted at refresh had many missing destinations - great malvern and bristol parkway spring to mind as common favourites. The new type are mean tot be easier to read (no, I can't remember which way round the colours changed, I believe the new ones are the white on black...

Edited by modfather

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick one, are you including the sanders fitted to number 1 axle? They've been fitted for three years now, and follow a similar form to the 150/153 units. The sand hopper is fitted on the under frame, under the second mans side of the cab along with the test switch and a box for the sanding ep solenoid valve, with one flexible pipe bolting straight to the lifeguard by no1 wheel and the other going across the skid plate under the fire bottles, to emerge at roughly the same position on no4 wheel. It's visible on 611, second page of the brochure and fitted to all west fleet 14x after an incident of low adhesion at Exeter.

http://www.porterbrook.co.uk/downloads/brochures/14x%20Brochure.pdf

Edited by modfather

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...