de Selby

I've been working on this little loco for a while. It is in 4mm scale, 21mm gauge. It all started off with a weekend scratchbuilding workshop at Phil Atkinson's Hobby Holidays with Ian Middleditch (who normally models Glasgow & South Western in 7mm) as tutor. I just happened to have a copy of the NCC loco diagram which I was given years ago, and it seemed like a good idea at the time.... The weekend produced the curly footplate (probably the most difficult bit), main frames, a boiler and firebox, and sundry other parts. Since then a little bit more time(!) has gone in to the project but I am pleased to say it has now reached the stage of painting. The subject of the model is no. 24 "County Londonderry" - there are some differences between the five members of the class in terms of boilers, tenders and detail fittings. I thought I'd take a few photos of the completed model in "the metal", so here's a few, below. (Some small parts will be added after painting is finished).

Alan

post-3024-0-59635900-1389054381.jpg

post-3024-0-69765800-1389054397.jpg

post-3024-0-89924400-1389054433.jpg

post-3024-0-58148500-1389054456.jpg

post-3024-0-47712000-1389054471.jpg

• Like 12

What a lovely model and what an attractive prototype. Is it too late to suggest that you replace the bought in (Markits? Romford?) vac' pipes? The quality of the model is such that making some from scratch (0.7mm wire with very fine filament to represent the hose and shim to represent the fixings) would really set it off. The ones you have look 'ok', but the rest of the model is 'wow'.  

I'm not too well up on Irish railways, but I presume that the plates on top of the leading splashers will accommodate nameplates?

Adam

Many thanks for all your kind comments. If people are interested I will take some further pictures of the final stages. The current plan is to spray on the crimson lake this weekend. Fingers crossed!

In response to some points raised:

Any chance of  pics of the cab interior and the underneath of the loco.

- No problem although some photos may have to wait until the loco is reassembled after painting.

Many years ago a friend of mine tried to bash one of these from a cut down Tri-ang LNER B12 (honestly!); it was surprisingly effective but a rotten runner. 

- Now I'd love to see a photo of that! Many years ago I attempted to convert a GEM Midland 4-4-0 into an NCC "Castle" after seeing 74 in the old Witham Street Museum.

Is it too late to suggest that you replace the bought in (Markits? Romford?) vac' pipes?  ..... making some from scratch (0.7mm wire with very fine filament to represent the hose and shim to represent the fixings)

I'm not too well up on Irish railways, but I presume that the plates on top of the leading splashers will accommodate nameplates?

- Painting is now well under way so I'll stick with the Markits ones this time. However you've reminded me that Ian Rice did a piece on this in one of his books, making vacuum bags by the method you describe. I must look it out and maybe give it a go on the next model.

I soldered a backing plate to the top of the front splasher, so it should be reasonably robust. Gary Wells (247 developments) is producing a set of name and numberplates for me. The five members of the class were all named after counties in the North of Ireland.

Alan

• Like 3

No way, I can't believe my eyes!!

Hello Alan

That is absolutely beautiful, as you can see from my signature I am a huge fan of the NCC and that is just amazing, I can't stop looking at the pictures just absolutely stunning, great job.

I have done a U2 already, but always wanted a model of this, but I couldn't find a suitable RTR model to do a conversion on.

I can't wait to see her in crimson she will look amazing.

Do you do commissions?

Many thanks for sharing with us, you have made my week.

Nelson

Ps: have you made any other NCC locomotives?

Edited by Nelson Jackson

It all started off with a weekend scratchbuilding workshop at Phil Atkinson's Hobby Holidays with Ian Middleditch (who normally models Glasgow & South Western in 7mm) as tutor. I just happened to have a copy of the NCC loco diagram which I was given years ago, and it seemed like a good idea at the time.... 

If they teach you to build locos to this standard, then it sounds like those weekend workshops are worth investigating.

That is absolutely beautiful, as you can see from my signature I am a huge fan of the NCC ...........

I have done a U2 already, but always wanted a model of this, but I couldn't find a suitable RTR model to do a conversion on...............

Ps: have you made any other NCC locomotives?

Thank you, Nelson

I can't think of one that's close (assume you mean OO gauge RTR) I suppose it comes down to is there anything that can be converted with major surgery or would it actually be easier to build from scratch?

I have made a Mogul, based on the Worsley Works etchings. Outside of the NCC I have a GN U Class and there's an S Class well on the way.

If they teach you to build locos to this standard, then it sounds like those weekend workshops are worth investigating.

I can certainly recommend them. Phil has run a number of very useful workshops in addition to the scratchbuilding one. (Usual disclaimer of no connection other than as a satisfied customer).

I forgot to ask are you intending or have started building some stock to run with this loco.

Regards Gareth.

That's the plan. I certainly would like to build more Irish stuff, and I have a number of boxes containing things waiting to be built. They are mostly of either NCC or GNR persuasion.

Alan

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Alan produced this work of art from his bag, when he called at the IRRS stand at Warley last November.

EVERYTHING stopped, while we all drooled - customers were ignored - there are more important things in life!

It looks even better now as the lovely NCC livery is applied.

great stuff!

Leslie

Thanks again for all the kind comments.

You going to build some stock for it to haul? 

That's certainly the idea. Somewhere for it to run would be nice as well!

Looks like you've adapted Brassmasters 4F inside motion to fit....

Yes, I'd first fitted this on the S class referred to above. It is fairly close, if not completely identical, to what was fitted to 170 - 174 (190 - 192 were slightly different). I know this first hand from past experience crawling around 171's innards to oil it up.

I don't know the precise details of what was actually fitted to a "Whippet"  but it seems reasonable to assume that York Road used standard parts supplied by Derby (the boilers, for example were a superheated version of the Derby G6) when the engines were rebuilt. The originals had been 2 cylinder compounds, so presumably new cylinder blocks, motion and crank axles were needed. 4F gear may not be too far out, therefore; at least that's my story!

So I bought a second set of 4F motion and set about modifying it to fit - I had to remove 2mm from the length of the connecting and eccentric rods.

when he called at the IRRS stand at Warley last November.

That was a fascinating experience - people kept turning up at the stand with Irish rolling stock of one sort or another.

Alan