de Selby

Beautiful loco straight off the cover of R M Arnolds NCC saga. The NCC had some really distinctive locos running into the Mid-late 1930s including some outside frame Sharpie 2-4-0s from the 1870s.

The question of valve gear is an interesting one Bowman Malcolm was in charge of engineering matters on the BCDR/NCC from 1876 up to his retirement 1922 and was an nearly exponent of  Walschaerts motion.

In the 1920s the  Midlandisation of the loco fleet seems to have been mainly restricted to boilers and cabs with most of the re-built locos retained their original frames and motion, even the U2 Castle Class 4-4-0s & 0-6-0 goods locos built in the 1920s had Walschaerts motion.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've had NCC Saga for many years but only recently twigged that the cover illustration (from a painting by Joe Magill) is of the particular engine that I was modelling. Perhaps there was some kind of subconscious influence at work!

It seems to be some sort of universal law of railway modelling that whenever you complete a model along comes additional information indicating you have done something incorrectly!

If the original motion parts were reused in these rebuilds, then (for future reference) the general arrangement drawings of the unrebuilt engines may provide the relevant details. The B Class locos were supplied by Beyer Peacock, and the BP drawing archive is now held by the Museum of Science and Industry, Manchester. Unfortunately the NCC's own drawings were destroyed when York Road was bombed by the Luftwaffe during the Blitz.

I now have some further pictures of the model which I will post shortly.

Alan

Edited by de Selby
  • Like 1

Some pictures of 24, now (more or less) complete.

Firstly some bits that it is normally not that easy to see. The footplate is a sub-assembly which is fixed to the running plate with a couple of screws, so it is easily removed. I might add a few extra details some time such as pressure and vacuum gauges, and the steam manifold on top of the firebox casing.

post-3024-0-70684200-1395011306.jpg

Here's the underside of the loco, revealing a multitude of sins! The various pick ups are visible as is some of the springing for the front bogie (this uses Masobits parts).  You can also see the High Level gearbox driving the rear loco axle.

post-3024-0-94903300-1395011342.jpg

The rest of the pictures are general views of the loco.......

post-3024-0-24388700-1395011476.jpg

post-3024-0-65728800-1395011499.jpg

post-3024-0-62615400-1395011595.jpg

post-3024-0-55763300-1395011747.jpg

post-3024-0-10259600-1395011657.jpg

Alan

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Alan

Congratulations.

Having drooled over the loco in brass, at Warley, all I can say is that it full livery it is simply superb.

Mac would have been full of glowing praise, if he had seen it.

I must work out a way to get photos to Frank Dunlop, who worked on them as a young man at Coleraine.

Leslie

Thanks Leslie.  It took rather longer to complete the painting than envisaged, but I thought it better not to rush it. I can send some copies of the photos in the original higher resolution in your direction if that's any help.

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely outstanding work!

Superb detailed work, excellent finish.

Many thanks for your kind comments.

There's a few details which I might yet add to the model (for example the runs of lubrication pipes along the boiler) but otherwise it's pretty much finished.

I'm toying with the idea of a few more photos, but with the loco posed in a layout environment rather than just on its own. I'll put copies on here if I do.

Other than that, it's a case of what to start next ............

Alan

Alan having seen your earlier thread on the GNR U Class you have certainly raised the bar in terms of the standard of Irish modelling, I look forward to seeing your test track/layout develop.

One of the outside framed NCC 2-4-0s in fully lined crimson lake would be a nice companion to the Whippet. I don't know if a set of drawings exist. There is a beautiful evocative centre spread photo of one of these locos on P72 in H C Casserley's Irish Railways in the Heyday of Steam (Bradford Barton)

• 2 weeks later...

GSR "800" class 4-6-0?

Just a thought....

Funny you should mention that..... (looks furtively at at cardboard box with Ennis postmark)

Alan having seen your earlier thread on the GNR U Class you have certainly raised the bar in terms of the standard of Irish modelling, I look forward to seeing your test track/layout develop.

One of the outside framed NCC 2-4-0s in fully lined crimson lake would be a nice companion to the Whippet. I don't know if a set of drawings exist. There is a beautiful evocative centre spread photo of one of these locos on P72 in H C Casserley's Irish Railways in the Heyday of Steam (Bradford Barton)

Thank you for the complimentary comments!

I don't have a copy of that particular book, but have (I think) other illustrations of the engines you refer to (G class & H class?) They were being withdrawn around the time the Whippets were being built although there seems to have been some overlap. I believe they had all gone before WW2. There may be Beyer Peacock GA drawings in existence as a couple were built there. I don't know if any Sharp Stewart archives still exist? I certainly agree that it would make a fascinating subject for a model.

I realise I may have got Just a little bit ahead of myself as the obvious candidate to work on next is the GN S Class (173) which I've got about 75% finished. This is the TMD - more recently Studio Scale Models - kit. I will post a few pictures sometime soon.

After that's finished, however.......

Alan

Yet more pictures! I had in my custody the Cambridge Club's small MPD layout "Sporle Shed" (EM Gauge) for a few days and this concided with a glorious sunny afternoon. So I set it up in the back garden and posed a couple of NCC engines on it for photos. The sunlight brought out the richness of the crimson lake livery very well, I think. Slightly different to the shed's usual GER blue occupants. Please note - those of a nervous disposition are advised not to pay too much attention to where some of the rails appear to be heading in some of the photos. I understand that this may be an optical illusion caused by lack of "The Black Stuff" ;)

There's also the small question of how the Mogul made it on shed (it doesn't fit on the turntable).

post-3024-0-79852200-1398813581.jpg

post-3024-0-83657100-1398813659.jpg

post-3024-0-51486500-1398813823.jpg

post-3024-0-38237600-1398813741.jpg

post-3024-0-58837100-1398813885.jpg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 5 years later...
On 23/08/2019 at 17:33, Spud607 said:

Ah. I was wondering because all the names that i know of had somthing to do with mainland britain. I most certainly dont know them all but i know a few. Thanks for replying! :)

Not quite, Spud, there were a few Rivers among them!

A story was that as it was necessary to inform The Palace that the NCC wished to name a loco after a Royal Personage and that Malcolm Spier was after an Honour!

Trivial Pursuit Question - the name of No.97 gets a mention in which US TV series?

Useless fact of the day - PORTRUSH got mentioned in Die Welt yesterday.

Interesting member of the class to model, Alan - was Thomas a relative? See you at Scaleforum.

Leslie

On 23/08/2019 at 17:33, Spud607 said:

Ah. I was wondering because all the names that i know of had somthing to do with mainland britain. I most certainly dont know them all but i know a few. Thanks for replying! :)

Not quite, Spud, there were a few Rivers among them!

A story was that as it was necessary to inform The Palace that the NCC wished to name a loco after a Royal Personage and that Malcolm Spier was after an Honour!

Trivial Pursuit Question - the name of No.97 gets a mention in which US TV series?

Useless fact of the day - PORTRUSH got mentioned in Die Welt yesterday.

Interesting member of the class to model, Alan - was Thomas a relative? See you at Scaleforum.

Leslie

No relation that I am aware of!

Personally I prefer the river names, though the engines carrying these had the smaller Fowler style tenders, at least in NCC days.

The Worsley etches are supplied with the larger Stanier style tender. The choice of 103 came (if I remember correctly) from the description

of her in "NCC Saga" as being a crack engine which was generally employed on the most important jobs (at least at that point in time).

I have got a second set of Worsley mogul etches for a locomotive only, with the idea that I would build one of the smaller tenders to go along with it.

Alan

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
On 16/03/2014 at 23:37, de Selby said:

Some pictures of 24, now (more or less) complete.

Firstly some bits that it is normally not that easy to see. The footplate is a sub-assembly which is fixed to the running plate with a couple of screws, so it is easily removed. I might add a few extra details some time such as pressure and vacuum gauges, and the steam manifold on top of the firebox casing.

post-3024-0-70684200-1395011306.jpg

Here's the underside of the loco, revealing a multitude of sins! The various pick ups are visible as is some of the springing for the front bogie (this uses Masobits parts).  You can also see the High Level gearbox driving the rear loco axle.

post-3024-0-94903300-1395011342.jpg

The rest of the pictures are general views of the loco.......

post-3024-0-24388700-1395011476.jpg

post-3024-0-65728800-1395011499.jpg

post-3024-0-62615400-1395011595.jpg

post-3024-0-55763300-1395011747.jpg

post-3024-0-10259600-1395011657.jpg

Alan

Ain't she a beaut? Where can I find a kit like that, Sir? Perhaps using an LMS Fowler 2P albeit with a few modifications might help.

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1