Storm damage to Cambrian Coast Line

• RMweb Gold

Someone had posted pics on Facebook a few days back, showing track completely covered in shingle. With the bridge at Penrhyn already likely to be out for much of this year, this is serious for any train service much beyond Dovey Junction, I imagine.

Without government funding I fear that the repairs will not be done on the grounds that the expense would be too much for the projected revenue stream to support. Sadly such a position would be at odds with the need to provide more public transport and to invigorate rural communities.

Without government funding I fear that the repairs will not be done on the grounds that the expense would be too much for the projected revenue stream to support. Sadly such a position would be at odds with the need to provide more public transport and to invigorate rural communities.

Revenue and compensation work in surprising ways and there is insurance. Network rail is already making payments to ATW for the failure at the bridge further up the line. It's in the best interests of everyone that the line is restored quickly, thereby reducing payments.

NR have contingencies for events like this. NR also enjoy a good engineering challenge. However, the damage looks mostly superficial although the effect of any scouring has yet to be assessed. We will know more when the engineers have been over it.

Excellent pictures

• RMweb Gold

Revenue and compensation work in surprising ways and there is insurance. Network rail is already making payments to ATW for the failure at the bridge further up the line. It's in the best interests of everyone that the line is restored quickly, thereby reducing payments.

NR have contingencies for events like this. NR also enjoy a good engineering challenge. However, the damage looks mostly superficial although the effect of any scouring has yet to be assessed. We will know more when the engineers have been over it.

Excellent pictures

Some of it doesn't look too difficult to deal with - get the track out and then go through with machines to clear the rubble, re-ballast and then re-lay.  The biggest job is likely to be cable and replacing the large rocks of the coastal defences.  All a matter of getting on with it if the will to do the job exists, and I hope it does.

They should use Peco Code 100 next time !!!!!!!!!

The power of waves / wind & water is frightening. If it can do this to large boulders & railway lines. just think what it can do to the weak human frame.

Hope they can be up and running again soon.

Brit15

• RMweb Gold

They should use Peco Code 100 next time !!!!!!!!!

The power of waves / wind & water is frightening. If it can do this to large boulders & railway lines. just think what it can do to the weak human frame.

Hope they can be up and running again soon.

Brit15

They did, all that water softened the PVA...

Andi

As SwissRailPassion said, the damage does only look superficial; the real problem will come if there is any damage to the formation, much more expensive and even longer to fix.

Edit:

Looking back through the photos, there does appear to be one or two locations where the formation has failed, but nothing that looks too major.  Only time will tell.

Michael

Is it realy worth reparing, there is no real service on this line. The same goes for the Blaenau Ffestiniog line a town served by an hourly bus service or four trains a day, that's if it hasn't rained and the lines closed.  The Central Wales is also a prime example of this compete waste of money with four trains a day if your lucky. All prime candidates for closure if you ask me.

Is it realy worth reparing, there is no real service on this line. The same goes for the Blaenau Ffestiniog line a town served by an hourly bus service or four trains a day, that's if it hasn't rained and the lines closed.  The Central Wales is also a prime example of this compete waste of money with four trains a day if your lucky. All prime candidates for closure if you ask me.

Well that's quite statement to make, I presume you don't live in a rural location with limited public transport. There is a reason these lines exist and it's not to make a profit, a concept lost on some politicians.

• RMweb Gold

Beeching lives on in our midst!!!

Thanks for starting thread Gary - an area we know well, was only strolling along the prom at Aberystwyth back in May with SWMBO and again in September on fishing hol - and look at it now

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Many years ago the labour party transport hacks wanted to close all the lines mentioned above, but the speaker of the day , the late Viscount  Pandy noted all in marginal seats and such political suicide!!! This won out over closure hopefully this will work today.  

ATW has contracts for school trasport and the given aspirations by assembly members for service should all help - but nothing certain.

Bl ffest Branch more ar risk  now A470 much improved - but police still close it at drop of a snowy bobble hat. ...

lines flood easily Llanwst North in cutting due to local building works and river bridge at Bwtwsycoed suffers from bridge flood stop marker being lowered as part of nation reaction to west wales collapse in 1990s on Central wales line. thus prompting line closure earlier than before. flooding Talacfan area a reaction to building A55 road tunnel slowing water flow out of valley.  always saddened me that trains and buses depart the junction with in minutes so no real network provison just needless duplication.

The utter shambles over Brewit bridge failure is made worse by news that line closed ufn - a nugget NR rleased on 24/12 when nobody looking ! - 11 road vehicles are contracted for replacement duties, despite a 158 being reportedly sent over bridge and then bought back !!! =- beggars belief in any language.

Certainly none of this bodes well for coastal lnes anywhere given lack of fibre seen over tree falls and flooding related signalling failures across what once was a national asset 

Robert -

A non car driving very regular user of Cambrian and  public transport network

• RMweb Gold

Fortunately,nobody is

• RMweb Premium

I heard locally (Newtown) that there is damage at Borth, Tywyn and Barmouth and several months were being suggested for reinstatement.

By the way, far from being a withered arm the train from Aberystwyth which arrives Newtown at 10.46 is reckoned to be the busiest on Arriva Trains Wales - six cars and often pretty full, and a fair amount of this originates on the coast line. Central Wales and Blaenau may have four trains a day but this line has eight to Aber (fewer on the coast) with proposals for an hourly service (infrastructure work already done).

Archived