Westbury freight flows Speedlink era

mabel

On 05/03/2021 at 21:41, Rivercider said:

When I worked a Westbury it was just after the introduction of Trainload Freight. Westbury was a Trainload Construction depot. I would say 2, or perhaps 3 rooms upstairs, with at least 3 rooms downstairs. 

In late 1991 my office was downstairs at the left hand end as you show it here, it was newly decorated and carpeted. The two yellow doors opened into our office, but were very seldom used. I think they were rarely ever opened by then, perhaps only in hot weather to let air in, we had an internal door into our room, turn left off the downstairs lobby. There were probably two other rooms downstairs, there was an outside door halfway along the far side of the building I believe. I think the shunters or carriage and wagon examiner used one of the rooms. Our office (there were 3 of us in there) was decorated the same as the White House building next to the station. The walls were painted in a flecked pale grey paint, I can't remember the carpet, but it might have been grey also, but quite 'modern'.

Upstairs was divided into 2 or 3 rooms. I think was a large room at the right hand end for the TOPS Office, taking up perhaps 2 thirds of the first floor, and there was a kitchen/mess room for them at the left hand end (the two small windows ?). I am not sure if the yard supervisor had a desk in the corner of the main TOPS room, or had a separate room of his own. There must have been a toilet upstairs also, and perhaps one downstairs, though I never used it. 

cheers

Pretty much spot on.

At present, top floor  left to right is toilets and shower (small windows) drivers mess room with kitchen in the corner (open plan, probably 60% of the upstairs floor space) , the door at the top of the stairs opens into this. The little window at the right is the ladies loo, and next to that is the driver's LDC office.

Downstairs yes three rooms, left hand end is the manager's office, middle one has had various uses (training, Axiom rail were in there, second mess room) and the little room at the yard end of the building has been stores etc. Toilet downstairs next to this end room.

Lovely model of the building @Clink junction Just needs a skull and crossbones flag flying from the flagpole! It really did happen!

Jo

Edited by Steadfast
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 9 months later...

Need help again… as some of you know I’m making a oo model of westbury during the 80s/90s so kind of on topic. Currently working on the station. Anyone know what was in the various offices? Think most of the windows were frosted, but guess I’ll need to make interiors for some. Any responses are much appreciated.

B306E58B-16D2-4406-9E63-2786C487A6EF.jpeg

EEA1B74F-930E-430A-A9FA-979FD645302D.jpeg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Clink junction said:

Need help again… as some of you know I’m making a oo model of westbury during the 80s/90s so kind of on topic. Currently working on the station. Anyone know what was in the various offices? Think most of the windows were frosted, but guess I’ll need to make interiors for some. Any responses are much appreciated.

B306E58B-16D2-4406-9E63-2786C487A6EF.jpeg

EEA1B74F-930E-430A-A9FA-979FD645302D.jpeg

Is there a thread about your modelling of Westbury?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Lovely looking models.

I have memories of station staff using door D. These members of staff were normally those seeing the trains off.

These memories are vague as it was a long time ago, and I was only a child at the time. 

• Thanks 1