Pont Merthyr Abercwmdulais Fawr Junction Colliery Yard and Disposal Point

marc smith

• RMweb Gold

While Budgie's music was never my cup of tea -  how's Burke Shelley these days, last I heard a few years ago, he was taken seriously ill on tour ?.Brian R

Not sure Brian. I think it was in Poland in 2012. I'm not sure of his current state or if the band are touring.

I last saw Budgie in 1981 or 82 in the Top Rank in Cardiff. Got to know Burke later on when he was playing in the Superclarks.

Now if this is not taking the thread off at a tangent, what is?

Rob

Back to the thread !!!!!!!

Marc

There is a two-part article on the NCB Graig Merthyr system in Railway Byelines Vol.12 Issue 5 (April 2007) and Issue 6 (May 2007).

There's also a two-part article on the Maesteg system in Volume 13 Issue 7 (June 2008) and Issue 8 (July 2008)

The Graig Merthyr article has photos of the (old and new) miners train platforms at Pontardulais, which appear to be built from old sleepers and are 'very' narrow, 'very low' and 'very' short !.

Brian R

Cheers Brian. Had a few pints of dark in there. Anyone remember Brains giving out cards featuring every Brains pub and you visited as many as you could....

Rob

I recall that. They called it the "Brains Passport"

Each pub you visited and bought a pint - they stamped a page in your passport,

with their unique stamp...

Once you had filled so many pages, you could claim a free pint

If you filled more pages, you could claim other free gifts,

like sweat shirts and beer glasses

Bit like the old green shield stamps,

but with something which looked like a passport...

Nice idea,

But some pals of mine who were participating

decided to call it a day after visiting the Cambrian

There were skinheads in the corner of the back room

Sniffing Glue!! In full view of the landlord!! :O

I recall that. They called it the "Brains Passport"

Each pub you visited and bought a pint - they stamped a page in your passport,

with their unique stamp...

Once you had filled so many pages, you could claim a free pint

If you filled more pages, you could claim other free gifts,

like sweat shirts and beer glasses

Bit like the old green shield stamps,

but with something which looked like a passport...

Nice idea,

But some pals of mine who were participating

decided to call it a day after visiting the Cambrian

There were skinheads in the corner of the back room

Sniffing Glue!! In full view of the landlord!! :O

Perhaps there were supplements published for the BrA1ns passport - special stamps for those who bought EvoStik instead of Light, Dark or S.A. ?

Brian R

Edited by br2975

Perhaps there were supplements published for the BrA1ns passport - special stamps for those who bought EvoStik instead of Light, Dark or S.A. ?

Brian R

Possibly Brian

After my experience in the Cambrian, I didn't adhere to collecting the passport stamps...... groan!

Made the basis for my workmens halt yesterday

Will post pics when the glue is dry, and I've had chance to prepare the top surface with ash and weeds

Marc

EDIT

On and off over the years I've researched the Glamorganshire Canal Railway ownership of which (together with the canal) passed to Cardiff Corporation in 1944.

Then, I came across an article on the railway  in a mid-60s edition of the Railway Magazine, written by Ian L. Wright.

You've probably already seen it, but Volume 2 of "The Glamorganshire and Aberdare Canals" has a good chapter on the railway.

http://www.lightmoor.co.uk/view_book.php?ref=B9129&section=CatCanal

There are also some great aerial shots on Britain From Above.

You wouldn't happen to know what issue of Railway Magazine the article was in please...?

Edited by sparks
  • Like 1

You've probably already seen it, but Volume 2 of "The Glamorganshire and Aberdare Canals" has a good chapter on the railway.

http://www.lightmoor.co.uk/view_book.php?ref=B9129&section=CatCanal

There are also some great aerial shots on Britain From Above.

You wouldn't happen to know what issue of Railway Magazine the article was in please...?

Sparks

Railway Magazine, October 1965

I've sent you a PM with more info

Brian R

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Nothing much by way of "visual" progress
But I have started routing the wiring for the layout

It's always when I'm at this stage I think,
"why does this wiring malarky take so *%**&$** long?"

Also, have a little more progress on the workmens' halt platform

Marc

It's always when I'm at this stage I think,

"why does this wiring malarky take so *%**&$** long?"

Now I can empathise with that Marc.

Rosamund St. (a simple shunting layout) tried my patience electrically; more through reliability issues.

Having beaten the electrical gremlins into submission, the Spratt & Winkle bug  wound me up ...........

So I've taken a break and set about a factory complex for the backscene, using my favourite medium, mounting card, and it has restored my 'mojo' ( detest that term). 

Brian R

• Like 1

Yes, I know what you mean about the term "mojo" - I feel it's over-used sometimes...
I'm sure there are aspects of railway modelling we all dislike - or at least
ones we don't enjoy as much as the others

No gremlins in the wiring yet - but it's a little way to go, until I can run locos about in any meaningful way
Although this layout is really small - I bet there's almost as much wiring as there is trackwork :O lol

Glad you have overcome your wiring woes Brian :)
Re Spratt & Winkle couplings - they do work well when everything is going well
They have a tendency to play up though
At Trainwest, they were mostly fine - but every now & then, one or two just seem to not want to work

I would recommend making up a Jig -  to ensure good alignment
The horizontal bar between the buffers seems to be the element most in need of consistency....

For this layout - I'm intending to use OO stock which already has S&W's fitted
and I'm going to try glueing a piece of paperclip or staple to standard Bachmann couplings,
as Stubby 47 did on his boxfile layout sometime back
This method does seem to work
and it means I can use the same magnets for both coupling systems.....

.... well, that's the plan ;)

Marc

Rosamund Street being a glorified (and enlarged) " 5+3+3 Inglenook " could make do wth the bog standard 8 wagons, but that would drive me batty at a two day show, so a few more wagons will be fitted between now and October.

I've enought to more than cope with my current stock - and I prefer them to the Kadees I used previously, with their annoying 'shimmy' over the monster undertrack magnets.

The wiring had best behave itself as the trackwork is now fully inset in granite setts - the addition of any fruther droppers would prove difficult, and test my knowledge of Anglo-Saxon epithets, curses and oaths to the limit..........

Just nipped into 'Pen & Paper' for two more A1 sheets of mounting board ( at £3.50 per sheet, a lot less than styrene and nicer to work with -IMHO).

So in between gutting my kitchen, babysitting the grandsons and cooking tea - I can press on with the erection currently rising from my workbench.

Brian

post-1599-0-01882700-1398179104_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

Apologies for not actually doing anything with this little project folks.... for well over a year now! :O

I have started a really small, simple O gauge project, in an attempt to get my Mojo back ;)
I need a project so small, Mrs S won't mind me doing some modelling on the living room floor (well, hopefully she won't mind too much)
Here's a link to that thread
http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/105886-have-i-got-some-mojo-back-a-new-tiny-o-gauge-project/page-2

But I will complete this project.... one day - as I looked at the baseboard over the weekend and thought to myself
"I really do like this plan" 

Cheers now - but please don't hold your breath on this one

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

But I will complete this project.... one day - as I looked at the baseboard over the weekend and thought to myself

"I really do like this plan" 

Now the 'mojo' is back the first hurdle has been negotiated Marc.

This concept has aroused my interest also.

The forthcoming Hattons/DJ  Models Hunslet 18" 'Austerity' is  gnawing at me; especially Mountain Ash No.8 as I have several slides of it, and memories of a footplate experience that could form the basis of a white knuckle ride at Alton Towers.

With this in mind, over the last couple of years I've salted away some cut price purchases as they came to my attention e.g. a few Slaters NE/LNER 20t wooden hopper kits, a couple of Bachmann wooden minerals and 14 ton tank wagons and some van kits for the 'paddy train'.

"Sidings Fach" could become a reality next year

Oh ! wait....

I've also got stock standing by for  the following concept, a 1980s exchange sidings and weighbridge theme :-

T.G.B.

Dealers in Scrap Metal.

(Ferrous & Non-Ferrous)

Rover Way,  Cardiff 

Tel.  01222 446397

Fax. 01222 446398

The company will be known to readers of Viz.

Brian R

Edited by br2975
  • Like 1

• 3 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have to say that I have enjoyed revisiting this thread. 

Thoughts much provoked.......

Rob. 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 months later...
On 08/11/2019 at 17:53, NHY 581 said:

I have to say that I have enjoyed revisiting this thread. 

Thoughts much provoked.......

Rob. 

Thanks good sir.
This is yet another recent example of my mojo being in too short supply to complete anything
However, I have had recent thoughts on picking this project up again, at some point
..... Just got some "other stuff" to attend to first..... as ever! tut tut

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, marc smith said:

Thanks good sir.
This is yet another recent example of my mojo being in too short supply to complete anything
However, I have had recent thoughts on picking this project up again, at some point
..... Just got some "other stuff" to attend to first..... as ever! tut tut

TCB, baby.