DCC sound equipped Irish locos **another video added**

irishthump

Nice to see, and hear. 

In November 2012, I ordered one each of 071/111 Class and 201 Class sound decoders from Belfast Model Shop. It took over six months for the decoders to become available. In the meantime, I discovered that ESU Loksound had free downloads for these locos on their website for the Loksound V4.0 decoder. Having had an ESU Lokprogrammer for some years, I had already downloaded, and programmed V4.0 decoders for one 111 Class and one 201 Class locos by the time I took delivery of the Belfast Model Shop Zimo decoders. Although the sound on the Zimo decoders was good, the performance of the loco in relation to the sound was not a patch on the ESU decoders. The engine noise of the ESU fitted locos was much more responsive to throttle changes, both up and down, than the Zimo decoders. Try as I might, I could not get the Zima decoders to come anywhere close to the performance of the ESU ones.

In the end I decided to standardise on the ESU decoder, and have now got four 071/111 Class and three 201 Class locos, all fitted with ESU sound decoders, and the Zimo decoders sold.

A second benefit of me using ESU decoders is that, having a Lokprogrammer, I am able to 'tweak' the sound program, by changing or adding sounds. So far, all my GMs have got different sounding horns, just like the real thing.   

Nice to see, and hear. 

In November 2012, I ordered one each of 071/111 Class and 201 Class sound decoders from Belfast Model Shop. It took over six months for the decoders to become available. In the meantime, I discovered that ESU Loksound had free downloads for these locos on their website for the Loksound V4.0 decoder. Having had an ESU Lokprogrammer for some years, I had already downloaded, and programmed V4.0 decoders for one 111 Class and one 201 Class locos by the time I took delivery of the Belfast Model Shop Zimo decoders. Although the sound on the Zimo decoders was good, the performance of the loco in relation to the sound was not a patch on the ESU decoders. The engine noise of the ESU fitted locos was much more responsive to throttle changes, both up and down, than the Zimo decoders. Try as I might, I could not get the Zima decoders to come anywhere close to the performance of the ESU ones.

In the end I decided to standardise on the ESU decoder, and have now got four 071/111 Class and three 201 Class locos, all fitted with ESU sound decoders, and the Zimo decoders sold.

A second benefit of me using ESU decoders is that, having a Lokprogrammer, I am able to 'tweak' the sound program, by changing or adding sounds. So far, all my GMs have got different sounding horns, just like the real thing.   

Hi David,

To be honest I find the sound quality of the files from Model Shop Belfast to be a lot better than the ones available from ESU, they just sound more "right" if you get my meaning! The only issue I have is that there is no "manual notching" functions on the MSB chips, otherwise I find the performance excellent. I'd love to hear your locos, do you have any videos by any chance?

On the subject of the Lokprogrammer, I've been toying with the idea of getting one myself. The idea of mixing and matching sounds is attractive!

What's your thoughts on them? Are they user friendly? What are the PC requirements?

Hi David,

To be honest I find the sound quality of the files from Model Shop Belfast to be a lot better than the ones available from ESU, they just sound more "right" if you get my meaning! The only issue I have is that there is no "manual notching" functions on the MSB chips, otherwise I find the performance excellent. I'd love to hear your locos, do you have any videos by any chance?

On the subject of the Lokprogrammer, I've been toying with the idea of getting one myself. The idea of mixing and matching sounds is attractive!

What's your thoughts on them? Are they user friendly? What are the PC requirements?

I have to agree that the quality of the sound on the MSB decoders is slightly better, but the ESU sounds are put together better, and are more responsive to throttle changes. I played around with CVs on the MSB decoders, but just could not get them to perform as well as the ESUs.

Unfortunately I do not have any video of my locos, but just as soon as I can find the charger for my Video Camera, I will have a go.  

The Lokprogrammer is a good investment if you are going to produce your own sound projects, but it takes a lot of time editing sound clips well enough so that you can't hear 'the join'. I have done a couple of complete projects of BR locos, as I have a good selection of video, taken by friends, to take clips from. Once you have a complete project, you can use it over and over again either in it's original form, or, as I do, change sounds like horns etc. The Lokprogrammer is a bit spartan when it comes to instructions, especially for the V4 decoder, there aren't any available in English. The V3.5 version does have instructions, but I found them not particularly easy to understand, especially when the diagram in the instructions does not match what is shown on the screen. I found it very much trial and error, especially with the V4 version.

The Lokprogrammer works fine on Windows XP, which is what I have been using, but I have now upgraded to Windows 7, and I have not tried any projects yet. The software appears to work OK, as the screens are the same as before, and everything seems to work.  

Thanks for reply, David. Food for thought, I don't know if I would have enough use for the Lokprogrammer to justify it, but then it's only slightly more expensive than a Loksound V4!

About the Loksound versus Zimo decoders; what exactly were looking to get from the Zimos? (Not trying to nitpick here, just curious!)

Thanks for reply, David. Food for thought, I don't know if I would have enough use for the Lokprogrammer to justify it, but then it's only slightly more expensive than a Loksound V4!

About the Loksound versus Zimo decoders; what exactly were looking to get from the Zimos? (Not trying to nitpick here, just curious!)

It's not the decoders I don't like, I just prefer the ESU sound program to the MSB one. I find the engine sounds on the ESU program much more responsive to throttle changes than those on the MSB one. Other than engine sound, horns and lights, I am not concerned about the rest of the functions which I very rarely use.

Had I not discovered the ESU sound programs, I daresay I would have been happy enough with the MSB programs, although I suspect the throttle responses would have got to me eventually.

It's not the decoders I don't like, I just prefer the ESU sound program to the MSB one. I find the engine sounds on the ESU program much more responsive to throttle changes than those on the MSB one. Other than engine sound, horns and lights, I am not concerned about the rest of the functions which I very rarely use.

Had I not discovered the ESU sound programs, I daresay I would have been happy enough with the MSB programs, although I suspect the throttle responses would have got to me eventually.

I get you. I was told that Zimo chips link the notching function to motor speed rather than throttle position. I think that's the cause of the difference in response.

Guys, I recently ordered a V4 Loksound from Olivia's Trains. The sound file was the generic 071 file from the ESU website but I requested that they change the prime mover sound to the EMD 567 from another file to make it prototypical for a Class 141.

Guys, I recently ordered a V4 Loksound from Olivia's Trains. The sound file was the generic 071 file from the ESU website but I requested that they change the prime mover sound to the EMD 567 from another file to make it prototypical for a Class 141.

Sounds good. I have now downloaded said EMD 567 sound file from ESU, and hopefully will get round to comparing it with my old DCC Supplies 141/181 decoder, and the Model Shop Belfast 141/181 decoder. Some years ago, DCC Supplies did sound decoders for 141/181 Class, and 201 Class locos. I did have one of each, but unfortunately, due to a stupid mistake, the 201 decoder met with a smokey end. This was before the Murphy Models 201 Class appeared, and the decoder was fitted to a Lima 201 with Athearn motor and running gear. Incidently, the sounds for the decoders supplied by DCC Supplies were produced by Mr Sound Guy, who parted company with DCC Supplies some time ago, but now does the MSB decoders.

I was in contact with DCC Supplies recently, and they informed me that they still have the sound programs for the Irish locos, and can reblow Loksound V3.5 decoders only, providing the customer can supply the V3.5 decoder, as this version is no longer available new. They can not program the V4.0 version. I have just received back a reblown V3.5, which will now replace my MSB Zimo 141/181 decoder. I found that it was impossible to match the Loksound and Zimo decoders for double heading, which is a must for small GMs, and the cheapest option was a V3.5 reblow at £12.00 plus return postage.   

From what I've heard of those older Mr Soundguy decoders they use the same recordings as the MSB uses now. This would make sense as Mr Soundguy works with MSB!

They sound identical except for the lack of notching, the lack of which in the MSB chips disappointed me, as I think you need manual notching to get the full effect of those small locos!

As far as I know the Mr Soundguy recordings were taken from a loco which was refitted with a EMD 645 from a 181 engine, hence the difference in sound to the 567. I've been listening to various 645 sounds on the ESU site but can't really find one that matches a 181 closely enough (at least not to my ears!) The 645 8 Cyl non turbo is prototypical but I don't think it sounds quite right.

Archived