Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

A Nice Birthday Present

• RMweb Gold

That's super Jamie - a great present!

Enjoy your father's thoughtfulness

Phil

PS Does it come with these?

http://www.fox-transfers.co.uk/image_display.cgi?image=11BM7o4j9oWHo.jpg

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 2

Hi

My birthday is also 11th January but I was 61 this year Great deal older than you.

Great present, your Dad must have been a very special person, run the Elizabethen in his memory.

Regards

David

Happy birthday :)

I will be running the elizabethen but i won't be using the A4 as my layout will be DCC and i don't want to risk damaging the loco but i have a DCC fitted tornado so she will take over and  the coaches will be used.

After a bit of research i have found the set is infact one year older then me so my dad must have got it for me when my mum was pregnant with me so My dad must of known that i was going to love railways

thanks for the kind words everyone

Jamie D 

Edited by jamie.dunn
  • Like 7

How brill! You didn't get to see your dad very much - but now you know what an amazing man he was. A top tale.

three weeks before he passed away he took me to the pickering railway show and thats the last real memory i had where it was just me and him 

Edited by jamie.dunn
  • Like 7

Great story, great present! Heart touching...

I would rename the A4 with your Dad's name!

Enjoy this lovely package!

Simon

I'm not going to rename the A4 but I'm thinking about getting a custom headboard with his name on and possibly by a new steam engine to rename that 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

My Dad introduced me to model railways at the age of 4 and we enjoyed the hobby together until he sadly passed away in 1988 but we had 31 years of fun together.

I bought him a Wrenn Royal Scot (Black Watch) for his 60th birthday/retirement in December 1983. It would have been his 90th last month. I still think of him when building/running the layout.  The Royal Scot is still going strong after 30 years.

Edited by Colin_McLeod
  • Like 1

I planning to Buy a Hornby Railroad mallard for pulling this set then i don't risk breaking Sliver fox. its the same class and colour as sliver fox.

and Phil it did come with the etched nameplates,headboard and foxes.

Once again thanks for all the kind words 

Jamie D

Edited by jamie.dunn

• 2 months later...

Hi guys i decided to risk running Sliver Fox a while ago on DC after i wired up the layout. All i can say is she runs perfectly even better then some of my DCC locos. so i run her every few months just to keep her running her best. 

At the minute i run DCC engines at my model club but as i have kept my home layout Dc it means that i can run a few of my DC locomotives at home including my Brand new Hornby sentinel shunter. now i just waiting for the Hornby K1 and a Bachmann LMS observation saloon. 

once again thanks for the kind words. I have a work trial for an apprenticeship soon so hopefully i'll get more stuff made on my layout :)

thanks 

Jamie D

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jamie

Great to hear you are enjoying your Dads present - and also that you are trying for an apprenticeship - what would that be in I wonder?

Its a tough world out there at the moment!

Kind regards

Phil

Hi Jamie, this is such a wonderful and heart warming insight into your life experience, and what a beautiful legacy your Dad left for you...that is an object to treasure along with your memories of him.

I have just lost my Father recently in February, luckily for me though I have some forty odd years of memories to treasure, my Dad wasn't into model railways, that was my Grandad "his Father" that gave me this obsession, I enjoyed Pigeon Racing, football and hiking with my Father, and I consider myself very lucky to have known such a wonderful and caring Man with a love for life as he had.

One of His little memory treasures that I was given by my Mum in February was a lovely engraved Swiss watch he received from the company he worked for, it was a gift to mark 25 years of work service, given to him by His boss, who interviewed him for job 25 years earlier.

I wore the watch yesterday for the first time at my Wife's Mothers Day Family meal outing, but earlier yesterday morning when i spoke to my Mum, I told her that I would be wearing Dad's watch.

These little objects and trinkets represent a lot more than just material value, they hold the treasured times you had together, thanks for posting your very personal story on here, this is the first time i have just seen it, and in truth Jamie, it has just cheered me up and given me a great lift, thank you once again, enjoy the models Jamie.

Best regards

Craig

Edited by muddys-blues

• RMweb Premium

What a really nice thing to do. And everytime you look at it you will be reminded of your Dad. Yes , despite what people say, objects are more than just possesions . They remind you of who gave you them and the happy times you had.  A great heart warming story.