Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

A Nice Birthday Present

Hi Jamie

Great to hear you are enjoying your Dads present - and also that you are trying for an apprenticeship - what would that be in I wonder?

Its a tough world out there at the moment!

Kind regards

Phil

The Apprenticeship may hopefully be a garage near my house its not really anything to do with railways :( but living in scarborough the only thing we have railway related is the NBR and the railway station but its a good start and hopefully i can get into railways later in life (when i turn 21).

thanks 

Jamie D

What an uplifting insight into what human relations can and should be, for your Dad to have planned all that even before you were born was very meaningful, this area of the forum can sometimes provide a nice interlude from the everyday "problems" of model railways, it's wonderful that you can remember your Dad as you continue your love of the hobby.

i had a full run today with all the coaches and i've started reading through the book and i've watched the video the only coach which i could do with is a thompson buffet coach just really to complete the rake. does anybody know if the 1st class coaches were near the front of the train or the back depending on which way the train was going.

My work trial went amazingly well hopefully i'll start in september 

Edited by jamie.dunn

• RMweb Gold

Good news on all fronts Jamie

On a lot of workings first class accommodation would be at the London end of the train so that the posh punters didn't have so far to walk at the London terminus - but it wasn't always so!

Kind regards

Phil

• 3 months later...

Quick update time:

I have now had about 15 days at the garage doesn't sound much but a trial is one day a week, I've finished college till September so i'm now a level 3 qualified engineer and a level 2 qualified Motorsport mechanic (mechanics with slightly more theory(i can tell you weather a car with skid or overturn first when it goes into a corner). I'll find out about the apprenticeship hopefully very shortly so fingers crossed.

On the train front I've brought a few things.

Bachmann's Super D (I've always liked heavy freight locomotives.)

Hornbys 28xx (same reason as above)

Realtracks fantastic Class 144(just had to get one after seeing them at the York show)

and 2 Bachmann Mk1 Pullmans( I've always liked them for some reason even more so then the orignal pullmans).

I'll get back to you when i find out about the apprenticeship.

once again thanks for all the kind comments.

thanks 

Jamie D

Edited to adjust punctuation 

Edited by jamie.dunn

I've just read you comment and fully agree it is a horrible fact of life that I've had happen to me a while ago (not on the train front). so I've made sure that everything i see as valuable is where i know it is fairly safe.

again it is a shame and i'll remember it for future posts.

thanks 

Jamie D

Such an amazing story, thank you for sharing it Jamie.

my dad has a 3 rail OO A4 hiding somewhere (I'm guessing somewhere like the loft at my grandparents/his parents) from his childhood. He hid it from the dangerous hands of children like me, i have never seen it yet, but as I'm now an adult, i suppose it could emerge one day, I'll never know until i see it.

Regards, Sam.

• 2 months later...

Well guys this year has just got better. I'm now an apprentice mechanic and I've nearly done my driving test, I've passed my theory so just my practical to go

Thanks

Jamie D

Edited to adjust grammer

Edited by jamie.dunn
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

That's great Jamie

As a Dad I would tell you to find a place in life where you are comfortable, able to enjoy things and sustain yourself

Sounds to me like you are well on the way

Not easy these days so well done

Phil

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Congratulations on the apprentice of the year award, you have done well to be top dog.

Your Dad will be watching down on you with pride.

Well done Mate
Craig

Edited by muddys-blues
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

So since getting sliver fox i've decided to start collecting models of '17' so far i have acquired 2. Both are Hornby models one is a Hornby model which was Ian Harpers of Haymarket Cross fame , and the other is a Brand new sliver jubilee model and it was split from the 4 pack.

I've placed 2 pictures with this post, Just ignore the edit to the pic of the three together.

post-18951-0-56525100-1455044473.jpg

post-18951-0-27792100-1455044458.jpg

I'm currently searching for a Dapol N gauge model.

Thanks for staying with this topic. I'll be at the Doncaster show this weekend so if you're going say hi if you see me say hi, I'll be helping Ian Harper on Haymarket Cross.

Thanks again.

Jamie D

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

So time a for a further update. 

Its been a number of years since anything major has happened. I’ve been on the road now for 4 years and I’m still fixing cars ... in fact I’ve been fixing them long enough to go into the mot course and as of January this year I’m currently Scarborough’s youngest MOT tester at 23...

on the sliver fox note, with Hattons bringing out the unnamed A4 I’ve got a green streamlined corridor tender on order. 

The nameplates ( and foxes) are currently at home awaiting the loco to join my roster .

so in the near future if you see either ‘Durham Street’ or ‘Falcon Road’ out and about you’ll more then likely see Sliver Fox looking pretty. Carrying the Elizabethan head board. 

Thanks for reading 

jamie 

• Like 5