Hornby announce J15

hornbyandbf3fan

"I'd have preferred a High Level chassis myself."

Wouldn't we all - I even asked/attepted to bribe Chris before I put fretsaw to metal (a couple of years ago when I first heard rumors of the J15 and my kits were at an advanced stage of what someone here described as "shelf testing"). He was very encouraging...about asking Brassmasters..

So I did and they 'indicated' they might...might be be worth another 'ask'...

So I got out the fretsaw...

Best,

Marcus

• RMweb Gold

Where is the "Smart ass" button when you need one? It's not unusual for EM and P4 modellers to buy an OO loco to run on their track After all an OO loco body is still 4mm scale, so one only needs to convert the wheels and possibly also the chassis to suit.

Where is the "Smart ass" button when you need one? It's not unusual for EM and P4 modellers to buy an OO loco to run on their track After all an OO loco body is still 4mm scale, so one only needs to convert the wheels and possibly also the chassis to suit.

It's only found on the American version of RMWeb.

• RMweb Premium

It just seems a waste to buy such a good model and chuck the chassis!

If the chassis can be modded - fine, but discarding seems a pity.

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Afew pics of my LNER version.

Side on. It really looks the part: (Yes the tender is off the track!)

post-6208-0-47572400-1424530079_thumb.jpg

Little and large, one of the LNER's largest tender locos alongside one of it's smallest:

post-6208-0-72472200-1424530089_thumb.jpg

It is about the length of the P2 without tender!

Front three-quarter:

post-6208-0-01910300-1424530101_thumb.jpg

Rear three-quarter:

post-6208-0-31187500-1424530109_thumb.jpg

Keith

EDIT it is nice, quiet and smooth when running on straight DC.

After some running in I have fitted a Lenz Standard Plus decoder and now need to set it up.

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Mine has now had a bit of a run around the layout (DCC) and it is absolutely superb.

Slow running is flawless and it accelerates and decelerates extremely smoothly.

My only comment would be that it it is somewhat overgeared as the top speed IMHO is too high.

Using TrainController it gave a top speed of something around 80mph so the CVs needed tweaking to bring it down to something more realistic.

(or did the little blighters actually shuttle around East Anglia at 80mph! :jester: )

-

I set Start CV to 1, Mid to 70 and Top to 140.

That gave me a top speed with TrainController of 50mph which suits me fine and a nice slow crawl to start.

All in all an extremely good loco and at a little over £100 or so IMHO also good value with such a level of detail and performance.

Isn't it a pity we have had to go through all that "Design Clever" nonsense when Hornby can really come up trumps if they really try?

Why oh why couldn't the "enhanced" P2 have been nearly as good as this?

Keith

• Like 3

A truly enhanced P2 would have been a risky business given the prototype, its limited appeal and a price of around £170.00. But at £80-odd smackers, everyone could afford a bit of eye-candy and I imagine the upgraded model sold itself on the back of the cheaper model. 

• RMweb Premium

A truly enhanced P2 would have been a risky business given the prototype, its limited appeal and a price of around £170.00. But at £80-odd smackers, everyone could afford a bit of eye-candy and I imagine the upgraded model sold itself on the back of the cheaper model. 

IMHO if Hornby had put tender pickups and a decent motor in the enhanced version it wouldn't have added much more than £10-£15 to what we actually ended up with and would have improved it no end. (There are tender pickups in the TTS version)

Keith

• RMweb Premium

I am now able to post links (thanks Andy) to the more detailed Great Eastern Railway Society journal articles on the J15 / Y14 referred to earlier that the GERS Chairman (my brother) sent to me from the GERS materials.  They are really good articles, with the story of the class and with lots of details and pictures. 

The third article also includes pictures of 2 of the loco's Hornby just released. LNER 7524 on shed, and also 65445 with British Railways on the tender, at Colchester.

He has said I can post the journal excerpts here for other forum members to refer to and also made the following comments.

"The Journal of the Great Eastern Railway Society is available to members only, for copyright reasons.  However, with the co-operation of the Society, I am able to reproduce four articles from Great Eastern Journal which deal with the GER Y14 class and their tenders.  They are from Journals 2, 36 and 133.  

http://rmweb.co.uk/J15/Pages%20from%20JL002%20(modern%20style).pdf

http://rmweb.co.uk/J15/Pages%20from%20JL036%20(modern%20style).pdf

http://rmweb.co.uk/J15/Pages%20from%20JL133.pdf

Anyone interested in further information might like to refer to the Society's Files Emporium:
http://www.gersociet...-lm-locomotives
or consider joining the Great Eastern Railway Society:
http://www.gersociet...e/membership-12

There are also two booklets which may be of interest and produced with assistance from members of the GERS, for sale in the M&GN Society's shop. 

They are:
J-15s Remembered  https://shop.nnrailw...tree=1684\_1987
Moving the Goods  https://shop.nnrailw...tree=1684\_2004
Proceeds from the sale of these will contribute to the appeal for funds to rebuild J-15 65462 on the North Norfolk Railway."

• Like 1

I had no idea Hornby had done two different cab cuts outs and tenders, it was good fortune the one I got had the larger cab cut out that matched 65390 although it seems I will have to shorten the tender handrail to match the length of the one on the loco, add the boiler pipe and small details.

As well as 65390 being used on the Watlington Branch 65405 and 65452 were also used.

David

Edited by David Bigcheeseplant

• RMweb Gold

I gave in and bought an early crest version while we have some left!  It's........fantastic, far better than I expected.  Now I just need to concoct a story as to how it got onto the Southern region!

Neil,

It got lost just after leaving Liverpool Street and ended up on the East London Line at Shoreditch......I'm sure I saw one on the pick-up freight at Mottingham on the Dartford Loop Line......

Keith

• Like 2

I had no idea Hornby had done two different cab cuts outs and tenders, it was good fortune the one I got had the larger cab cut out that matched 65390 although it seems I will have to shorten the tender handrail to match the length of the one on the loco, add the boiler pipe and small details.

As well as 65390 being used on the Watlington Branch 65405 and 65452 were also used.

David

Like you I didn't realise there would be two different cabs but I bought the LNER version which is so nice I almost considered changing the period of my layout as it looks and runs superbly. It is a shame I did this but I'll run it as is until such time as I feel inclined to modify it, and spare bodies will probably be available or someone might even provide a replacement cab. There were so many variations it is likely to need surgery anyway and I will keep the original body as I'm sure I will use it in the future as it is so good.

I also have a Claud on order, I'm sure I've ordered the correct version of that!

Getting there with the first one...............

But (before anyone pulls me up on it) - I should point out that the buffers, buffer-beams, tender wheels and loco chassis have yet to be weathered !

The tarpaulin rails/tarpaulin also have to be added in due course.

Wow! Would you mind doing a quick step-by-step on how you make the tarpaulin rails?

Getting there with the first one...............

But (before anyone pulls me up on it) - I should point out that the buffers, buffer-beams, tender wheels and loco chassis have yet to be weathered !

The tarpaulin rails/tarpaulin also have to be added in due course.

Superb my friend. I wish I had that skill